Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th Januray 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Temperature 4.3 here, it WILL drop. :)

On that note I'm heading to bed, up for 5 to see heavy now! :D

Night all, good luck to you guys I hope you all get the snow you deserve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

My son lives in Bracknell he was also hoping for a snow day as he has to go to work on his M bike. smile.png

It is still on (for Bracknell, as in this case).

I'm just going to bed right now because I'm not as hardcore as I once thought I was.

Seriously, it's gone 1am and its way past last orders.

Up and at em, with your rulers for official 9am MetO standard snowfall reading in the morning.

Night night. lazy.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

calling all lamp post watchers !

calling all lamp post watchers !

Any signs of any white gold in SW region.

NO :)

Posted

I've got a University assignment in for 4:30pm so I'm staying up whether I like it or not!

Should be fun watching it come in.

Any idea what's going to happen when the main front joins up with the stalled occlusion that's over us right now?

Posted

well Plymouth is down to 3oC, from 5oc so its changing there for sure...

I am at 4.3oC, cannot even imagine getting snow from here, but in Ian we trust.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Well I am braving an all nighter, there is no way ill be able to settle down tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I've got a University assignment in for 4:30pm so I'm staying up whether I like it or not!

Should be fun watching it come in.

Any idea what's going to happen when the main front joins up with the stalled occlusion that's over us right now?

bomb.gif Snow explosions I guess.

Good luck and night all. hi.gif

Posted

Ive got no chance of snow, but cant sleep either in to much pain. but at least this is keeping me occupied, even if i have nothing really productive to say. I love to hear where its snowing even if its not over me. i love the excitement you guys have... so thanks for the company. air_kiss.gif

Posted

Hi SM,

The downs certainly do make a huge difference at times and although i'm new to the Petersfield 'weather' so to speak it does seem to have a little tiny bit of a micro-climate effect. I had a similar thing with my last abode in that it could be rain or sleet just over the south downs and snow on our side, more often than not anyway.

My temp is likely to be a tad higher than my reported ones as the station is a fraction north and a bit more rural than here but in the interest of consistency I just report them as they are. Not sure how much different it actually is. smile.png

From living in this area all my life, I can reasure you that Petersfield does much better than places to your South (Such as Horndean, Waterlooville/Havant and Portsmouth). I think its due to Southerly winds being blocked/modified and modified by the South Downs and Northerly Winds being modified by the North Downs. Its quite an strange micro climate to have in this part of the South!

The above would explain your lower temperature as you are very well sheltered by the SE'ly wind and winds are most likely calm? No mixing of the air so a greater chance of lower temperatures.

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Dewpoints around most of the Isle of Wight are now below -1, Temperatures hovering between 3.1 and 3.6c.

Right now judging earlier on today we had snow falling at my place in Sandown with a temperature of 4.1c and a dew point of -0.8c, so that in mind what ever falls now should be snow....... I hope haha. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather types!

i,m looking at this webcam (live feed) from exmouth seafront . very windy and something falling but cant work out what it is http://www.exmouthcam.co.uk/webcam/

think its snow

defo snow :)

Posted

Thanks for the info SM. Yes, that sounds about right and makes sense. I have had light winds here this evening (as far as I can tell anyway, I haven't been out much to testify) but my OH works over the downs to the south or in London and often reports that it's noticably colder in Petersfield than most of the surrounding areas (often regardless of direction and accounting for the obvious upward shift in temps expected from the proximity to the channel etc when travelling south). I'm certainly not complaining!

No worries! While studying at University, I had to do a section on Micro climates and I used Petersfield as a place as I know of the area and was easily accessible! So it really is a good place to be in these type of events!

SM

Posted

Got to go to bed. Ive finished my bottle of wine , the wife's in bed, the dog is snoring and i have little faith in the promised temp lowering. Not enough height rises in the required areas in my experience. See you all on another rollercoaster day.

JBZ

Posted

From the sleety snow mix of this evening I have white patches on the road outside... Looking forward to the fun and games in a hour are two that shell begin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

2.3c here with dew point of -2c... Can't believe it was 5.2c hour and a half ago!

Raining here right now, temp needs to keep dropping like the met says so.

Posted

Raining here right now, temp needs to keep dropping like the met says so.

Think it will turn to snow soon Colder dew p are heading up from the S

Posted

Last update from me till the morning, need the sleep!

Temp: 3.0c DP: -2.7c

Quick update on the DP and Temps in the channel (Keep an eye on these later) via weatherunderground

BATFR49: Temp 2c DP -6c (Location 10 miles off the French Coast near Dieppe)

BATFR52: Temp 1c DP -4c (Location 5 miles off the French Coast near Le Harve)

BATFR02: Temp 4c DP -3c (Location few miles SE of the IOW)

Channel Lightship reporting 4c but no DP info

Greenwich Lightship reporting 3c but again with no DP info

Good night guys and good luck!

SM