Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - Cold and Snow 17/01/13 ->

Isolated Frost

Posted

Looking forward Monday looks like snow to rain to me. Snow during the night, then rain as the low stalls and DPs rise.

Posted

Looking good for Newcastle and Sunderland... Durham will have to wait a while I think - as has been stated, we're shielded by NY.

Posted

Don't really want that front to affect us now, it will just ruin the convective potential for sure and especially as the charts have marginally upgraded for the short term regarding upper air temperatures.

Can see those shower clouds but as it appears to of been the case so far, they are struggling to make much inroads inland, paitence is the key here me thinks.

Posted

You can almost see the showers losing their intensity as they hit the NYM. It'll only take a 10 degree shift for the showers to make it, and looking to the Humberside region on the radar, we can see that shift taking place.

?

Sorry FHW, just worked it out, ta,

Karl

Edited by snowmackem

Posted

Don't really want that front to affect us now, it will just ruin the convective potential for sure and especially as the charts have marginally upgraded for the short term regarding upper air temperatures.

Can see those shower clouds but as it appears to of been the case so far, they are struggling to make much inroads inland, paitence is the key here me thinks.

What's your take on Monday?

DPs are too high after about 6am until late Monday... but the ppn could be pretty heavy. Would it be enough to force down the DPs at least away from the coast?

Posted

Showers on radar def turning inland now, anybody got owt?

Wont be long.

@Geordiesnow - if we have convection in full flow later and the front bumps into our "convection zone", would it really kill the snow? Surely we would still get it from one direction or the other. Can it all merge to get a heavier belt for a while? Interesting, I think this is actually a very rare set up, can't wait.

Karl

Posted

Havant really looked for Monday in all honesty so can't really comment and Snowmackem, I'm not sure, from what I understand, high frontal cloud can kill off convective showers from the Sea because assuming the link between the cold upper air and warm Sea's is cut off but perhaps someone like IF can explain better. In fairness, looking at the sat images, the frontal cloud is actually quite small with the PPN not far away so it might not be a huge affect, wait and see I suppose.

Never known the North York Moors as being an rain shadow affect, either way, showers are struggling to got too far inland at the moment, a little frustrating really.

Posted

Havant really looked for Monday in all honesty so can't really comment and Snowmackem, I'm not sure, from what I understand, high frontal cloud can kill off convective showers from the Sea because assuming the link between the cold upper air and warm Sea's is cut off but perhaps someone like IF can explain better. In fairness, looking at the sat images, the frontal cloud is actually quite small with the PPN not far away so it might not be a huge affect, wait and see I suppose.

Never known the North York Moors as being an rain shadow affect, either way, showers are struggling to got too far inland at the moment, a little frustrating really.

Surely it's the same principle as when showers fail to made inroads inland.. when it's coming from the SE, the NYM sticking out will effectively kill off the showers, in particular from, say, Chester-le-Street down to Ferryhill-ish.

Posted

Ooooh the waiting game haha, look at all them beautiful showers it's not going to take much to push them inland, they've already been affecting coastal areas. Still early doors :)

Posted

Will the cloud and snow arrive in time to keep the temps sub zero? -0.7°C atm and that's 67 hours straight sub-zero.

Posted

Anyone else notice that the shower over the NYM has actually intensified and is on a collision course with Teesside?

Yes... although - see that sliver of weaker ppn between the 2 bright blobs? That's got my name written all over it. :p

Posted

Snowing lightly but steadily at South Shields

What's the difference between snowmen and snow women?

----- snowballs lol

What a difference a few miles makes, sun still shining here amongst the clouds

Posted

still -2c here and the sun is popping out.them low level clouds aren't half moving along.

Looking ominus here now

radar says not yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Radar starting to look good..