Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

A brand new thread to discuss all the wonderful potential!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold please!

BBC forecast today isn't reflecting the 12z upgrades...going to be fun viewing tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Cheers for telling us the new thread is open

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

What thread we on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy drifting snow

Bbc forcast has the snow fragmented across the region . Im in the amber warning and it showed no snow over us . Hyde cheshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The latest BBC forecasts still aren't showing snow for NW England. It looks great in the North East on Saturday - I will be foaming if I miss it all!

Even if the 6z tomorrow has heavy snow by lunchtime it'll be a case of radar watching I think.

Edited by Alza

Posted

Met office has snow for nearly everyone on Friday night except the NW and northern Scotland help.gif just a lonely white cloud over blackpool.

I think that will be updated later though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

But Ian isnt the radar now showing more than it was??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Can only assume that the GFS has gone off one with it's location of the Low, we will have to wait for further output.

is this good or bad "spanner in the works"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

BBC forecast today isn't reflecting the 12z upgrades...going to be fun viewing tonight

yeh they are a bit anyway as the recent forcasts are much better than earlier when no snow what so ever arrived on friday

Posted

Met office has snow for nearly everyone on Friday night except the NW and northern Scotland help.gif just a lonely white cloud over blackpool.

I think that will be updated later though

sure its not candyfloss ..being Blackpool

Posted

Oh, the other thread wasn't locked.

Snowing here in Sandbach. This is an unexpected feature, I assume, before the main band which is still West of Ireland. Looks like some big echoes heading up Irish Sea across to the North of the Region for later? From the Meto Radar.

Interesting the heavy band to our East (Nottinghamshire). I wonder if a circulation is going to form between these two features.

Posted

Bbc wont have factored anything new, if any, in yet tho i dont think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Here is the accumulated precipitaion from NMM. Strong signal for Manchester and north Cheshire to suffer from a rain shaddow effect

Posted

Heavy snow grains now

Posted

Here is the accumulated precipitaion from NMM. Strong signal for Manchester and north Cheshire to suffer from a rain shaddow effect

i need to give this snow hoping thing up ..it really is too stressful.I feel like a madman for hoping .

Posted

Can only assume that the GFS has gone off one with it's location of the Low, we will have to wait for further output.

To be fair the GFS has more or less stuck to its guns WRT where and how Friday's low is positioned and then subsequently slides South. The only real variation was in the most recent 0Z that had the whole thing a little further south and west. 6Z and 12Z have pretty much kept the whole of the NW under a threat of snow for Friday and now it seams that some snow tonight (albeit light and patchy) is possible for the region.

The latest UKMET 12Z is still pretty much in line with it's forecasts earlier in the day which put the heaviest snow through Wales and the W Midlands but still snow for most of the NW at some point on Friday.

The only thing puzzling me is that the regional METO website forecasts seem at odds with the latest UKMET model output. I guess the sites that carry the model data publish it much faster than the METO do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Isn’t that chart showing a lot of showers for the east not snow from the main band?

Nope, the progression shows it from the frontal band. Naturally with a SE wind, the eastern side of the Pennines will do better, with a lot of NW England sheltered. Not too worried for here at the minute as SE winds seem to cut in here OK, just far enough south but it's a bit dicey.