Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

CHECK THIS OUT.

http://www.netweathe...chaelfish;sess=

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

What one?

The one over the UK isnt..

The one out to the west I *think* is...? Yet its moving in a bit too fast if you ask me.. So not sure... ?>?>?>?

Yes the one to the west is the main front.

Also for those surprised at the dusting for some, the NAE has been showing this for a while,

13011718_1712.gif

Although the BBC forecast didn't pick it up, maybe they were modified and expected it to fizzle a bit more.

Main frnt get going towards Midnight,

13011806_1712.gif

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Sorry guys nobody answered my question earlier :)

Why is rain predicted tomorrow eveningstraight after the snow?

Posted

Yes - similar here in Alton. Beginning to give a dusting. The area of snow on radar has grown appreciably in last hour or two

Where has this come from.....? Temp here now 0.0c

Yes similar here temp 0c dewpoint -1.1c. Steady v light snow falling and has been for the last hour.

A dusting on all surfaces now. A nice surprise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snow turning a little bit heavier now, prob 3/10 on my snow-ometer scale (made up!) It is settling though on tops of cars, pavements and on a frosty layer of grass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

I don't think he done the lunchtime forecast either? Not sure if he normally does, maybe a day off, not sure really.

Started work at 2pm and I imagine he will be up all night according to BBCRB he has booked himself hotel tonight, I have to say we are very lucky in this region to have such a dedicated forecaster.

Posted

What one?

The one out to the west I *think* is...? Yet its moving in a bit too fast if you ask me.. So not sure... ?>?>?>?

Here you go. Today's precipitation is just the upper front (the top section of the front has sheared and moved ahead of the lower down bit for want of a better definition)

post-18807-0-48761100-1358444528_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

What one?

Got to be honest the snow is quite heavy with big flakes, completely white, this was not expected

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Temp 4.9c dp 0c and wind S

I am going to get no sleep tonight!

Posted

GEM siding with GFS on Mondays Low, great for us lot!!!!!

gem-2-102.png?12

Posted

Sorry guys nobody answered my question earlier smile.png

Why is rain predicted tomorrow eveningstraight after the snow?

Good question and as I'm just up the road, I'll try and give you an answer! good.gif

With every snow event, the Met Office always put as down with Sleet or rain after the event. The reason why is because there model or human input counters in the Wind off of the Channel, bringing temperatures up a notch and changing the lighter PPN over to rain or sleet.

I have no answer as to why they have done this, this time around. Uppers are Good, dew points (predicted anyway) are perfect and the winds will in fact be swinging around the the ESE/E with colder uppers aloft. With the snow cover surface temps should be way below freezing.

Hope this helps!

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Phew! Thanks everyone re. The current rain. Just got home, temp 3.3c and DP 0c.

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!

Posted

Good question and as I'm just up the road, I'll try and give you an answer! good.gif

With every snow event, the Met Office always put as down with Sleet or rain after the event. The reason why is because there model or human input counters in the Wind off of the Channel, bringing temperatures up a notch and changing the lighter PPN over to rain or sleet.

I have no answer as to why they have done this, this time around. Uppers are Good, dew points (predicted anyway) are perfect and the winds will in fact be swinging around the the ESE/E with colder uppers aloft. With the snow cover surface temps should be way below freezing.

Hope this helps!

SM

Thank you! Very helpful for me aswell, as I'm here worrying myself about the rain after the event... So you think it won't rain after? Thanks for your input snow mania :)

Posted

If I can get there I will in the deep snow all day tomorrow it seemssmiliz19.gif, probably wont be allowed on either the Middle or the Military road to get there though, even if its only 2 inches deep they will be closed I bet.

Haha that would be a classic case! I think the island has a good solid chance of something reasonable (away from the south and east coast).

I have plans to go up Chillerton down if things 'work out'.

The main issue will be quite warm ground temperatures in many locations on the island.

I made this crude map for a friend of mine. The small clustering of heavier snow marks where the downs are.

mapsnow_zps71c187f0.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Phew! Thanks everyone re. The current rain. Just got home, temp 3.3c and DP 0c.

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!

Sounds like be pyjama party on here tonight

Posted

Got to be honest the snow is quite heavy with big flakes, completely white, this was not expected

This is the perfect example of why the radar and the window is best the over the next 24 hours, we have had snowflakes in the wind for most of the day,. but nothing on the ground, whereas SSIB in Northleach (20 miles away) has seen settling snow.

Snow can be so localised, just as rain can, but nobody ever notices localised rain lol.

Edited by chris55

Posted

I've just done a quick paint job here:

post-1206-0-25893600-1358444772_thumb.pn

The area to look for is northern and ne France, bear in mind when you look at the fax chart although it might look like a more s/se flow because you have high pressure to the ne with low pressure out west then the actual surface flow should pull round more to the east or ese.

Heres the link for that, the key is the dew point.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php

The actual flow at the moment has moved towards the s/sw and thats why you're seeing that temporary elevation in temps and dew points.