Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Looking at radar tho, that band doesnt look all that thick? that will blow over resonable quickly even if it stalls only looks about 50 miles across unless thats not the main band which isnt in view yet?

And it looks like its splitting in half

Edited by David 'Minty' Hill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Temp rising here warmest its been all day 4c, should fall once winds turn more easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Looking at radar tho, that band doesnt look all that thick? that will blow over resonable quickly even if it stalls only looks about 50 miles across unless thats not the main band which isnt in view yet?

And it looks like its splitting in half

It is the main band and its developing nicely, like you say looks fairly timid at this stage but as this slows as it moves towards the welsh coast, it will expand in both size and intensity so no need to worry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It is the main band and its developing nicely, like you say looks fairly timid at this stage but as this slows as it moves towards the welsh coast, it will expand in both size and intensity so no need to worry.

What time are the temps progged to start falling

Posted

What time are the temps progged to start falling

Will stay around what they are now or decrease slightly until the front starts to arrive. Temps forecast to be 4/5c in many areas at midnight but this drops to -1c to 1c by 1 to 2am as winds switch more to ESE and front is near.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Been snowing in Glyn Ceiriog all day - ranging from small polystyrene balls to big wet flakes, and settling on untreated roads and fields, only about a couple of centimetres lying but have a small chopped forest by the wood burner, have made bread, risotto supper ready to go and last weeks borgen on the laptop with a glass of wine - will worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Posted

"Hello Mr. South Easterly, i've been expecting you!"

Just been to the top of Bedwas mountain with my reliable weather station (wet finger) and can confirm that the South Easterly is swinging into action. Maybe ESE?

Posted

No warnings for monday tho which I find really odd

This is due to no agreement between the main three models for Monday. Not all have snow at the moment.

Posted

yes, the 'red zone' (sounds pretty cool doesn't it? :p) well and truly covering all the way down to Northern Cardiff, and in his mini forecast just then, Derek mentioned 'the valleys' as opposed to the heads of the valleys.

Posted

Because its a front with a very breif mild infront of it. As it crosses over and drags very cold air aith a very strong wind wind chill will cause those temps to plumit. Its calm out at the moment but its nto going to stay that way. It snowed pretty much all day in RHondda where I work, on way home temps went from 2oC to 6oC in Llantrisant. Its supposed to happen. I thought I was going to be on the cusp of the rain to snow line, but for some reason I am feeling actually it will snow much further west. I looked at meteo site and all of wales has heavy snow tomorrow even pembroke and personally im betting on meteo being right as its human drawn chart. I think coomputer models have dam line way to far east to be honest.

Thanks for that temp dropping nicely now from 5 to 4 in 30 minutes

Posted

Been snowing in Glyn Ceiriog all day - ranging from small polystyrene balls to big wet flakes, and settling on untreated roads and fields, only about a couple of centimetres lying but have a small chopped forest by the wood burner, have made bread, risotto supper ready to go and last weeks borgen on the laptop with a glass of wine - will worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Can I come round?

Posted

Does anyone know why the met office haven't seperated the red from amber warnings, I thought that for those people in the red area would receive more precise information

On a more regular basis

Edited by Icequeen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Dew points seen to be lowering too after a slight rise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Nice to see my village in the red zone! Im also on amber alert in work tomorrow due to being pregnant, so nice to know they'll be looking after me (if I manage to get there)

What time can we expect this to hit? Stay safe and warm everyone x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Depending on the reliability of the NAE model, you could expect to see several hours heavy snowfall from the early hours onwards (perhaps preceeded by a bit of rain)... wouldn't fancy driving some of those hills round there tomorrow morning if it does snow!

Thanks pal! Yeah, these roads could be horrible.. Just hope people use their heads and don't make it dangerous. Fine line between it being fun and it being dangerous! I live right at the top of the hill too so who knows if I'll even make it into work!

Ah, hopefully no rain! That'd be a disappointing end but I'll enjoy the snow falling while I can!

Enjoy, all!

Posted

Derek said loads of snow!!!!!!!, snow in Cardiff to at least a few cms,he even mentioned the snow for monday

Posted

I dont believe it, snow has disappeared totally on the met office forecast for here now, just says overcast. I really hope they have that wrong, only we could be under an amber warning and have no snow at all. Somebody has reactivated the snow shield

Posted

Yeah the M.O forecasts are changing back and forth and not really matching the TV forecast. Cardiff said heavy snow then sleet an hour ago, now its back to heavy snow. Same is currently happening with Newport's forecast. Heavy snow > sleet > heavy snow > sleet doh.gif

Edited by ginkrots

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm still sceptical about this event especially for the marginal areas of Wales. It hasn't been cold all week. Most major snow events that I have experienced in 40 years in SW Wales have been preceded by bitter cold - we just haven't had this. Usual areas will get snow - not holding out much hope for anything significant elsewhere.

Posted

I'm still sceptical about this event especially for the marginal areas of Wales. It hasn't been cold all week. Most major snow events that I have experienced in 40 years in SW Wales have been preceded by bitter cold - we just haven't had this. Usual areas will get snow - not holding out much hope for anything significant elsewhere.

It sure is marginal for our area which is why I am staying up to watch Temp and DP drop. But dont worry if your still 4c like i am, this will plummet all of a sudden when ESE comes in proper, will happen just before front arrives

Posted

Out with dog just now and it's good bit milder than the last few nights with a strange sense of anticipation in the air!!!

I still don't reckon it'll be as bad as they say in terms of snow amount but we'll just have to wait and see.