Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Frustrating - the Met site has changed things to sleet to Cardiff between 9am and 3pm tomorrow!

That's weird since all television forecasts have shown heavy snow over cardiff and quite far westwards during those times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Frustrating - the Met site has changed things to sleet to Cardiff between 9am and 3pm tomorrow!

I wouldnt take any notice of it, every model even the NAE had snow for Cardiff, and heavy im sure they will change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Have faith - Depends where you are in Cardiff. I'm not far from the centre, so a bit close to the coast, but other parts should be ok.

We've had some good dumpings in the past even here. Tomorrow (as so often) will be a case of looking out of the window and seeing what falls out of the sky. Evaporative cooling may also play a part in keeping the snow for longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Very odd, temp has risen to 5.2 here in Rhoose, can't see much snow falling here ..this is going to be a let down for sure !

Posted

If you have a look at Wundermap-

http://www.wundergro...undermap/?sat=1

-you can see surface temps are already well below freezing already across northern France. I guess this is the air that we'll be dragging into the precipitation, assuming the winds stay SE, and turning it to snow?

Edited by benb

Posted

My local pub is now advertising a snow day curry club for tomorrow! Like any of us will be able to dig ourselves out to get there lmao! Initiative or what!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just had an e-mail from my uni warning about the snow tomorrow, though it currently expects to stay fully open! I hope this isn't happening sooner than expected?

Posted

If you have a look at Wundermap-

http://www.wundergro...undermap/?sat=1

-you can see surface temps are already well below freezing already across northern France. I guess this is the air that we'll be dragging into the precipitation, assuming the winds stay SE, and turning it to snow?

Correct expect winds to increase to 20 mph see temps drop quickly then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

i have been informed that asda in blackwood sold out of all milk,bread and the majority of their freezer stock today.dont know if its true but am i glad i pre-planned!no long lines for me to wait in today!

Posted

Just saw that, same for Swansea, although don't know if you noticed it said updated Wednesday !!!!!! Think we may have broke the met office ;)

And it includes Wednesdays forecast

Edited by Icequeen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I am between Llanelli and Carmarthen and consider myself too far West to see any decent amount of snowfall (sadly) but I went to Asda in Llanelli earlier and the place was packed! It's never dead, but for a Thursday is was very busy!

Surprised to see where I live under the amber warning too, I think they're just covering themselves to be honest.. Hope I am wrong, would love a lot of snow! Even if I do have to drive to work at 5:30 tomorrow morning..

Edited by CarmarthenshireWeather

Posted

I am between Llanelli and Carmarthen and consider myself too far West to see any decent amount of snowfall (sadly) but I went to Asda in Llanelli earlier and the place was packed! It's never dead, but for a Thursday is was very busy!

Surprised to see where I live under the amber warning too, I think they're just covering themselves to be honest.. Hope I am wrong, would love a lot of snow! Even if I do have to drive to work at 5:30 tomorrow morning..

Depending on the reliability of the NAE model, you could expect to see several hours heavy snowfall from the early hours onwards (perhaps preceeded by a bit of rain)... wouldn't fancy driving some of those hills round there tomorrow morning if it does snow!

Posted

It's now 5.6c ...getting warmer !

Similar here 5 degrees and getting warmer dew points at -2 though, I really want snow but for some reason it just does not feel like its going to snow outside. Please someone tell my why I am wrong!!!

Posted

Similar here 5 degrees and getting warmer dew points at -2 though, I really want snow but for some reason it just does not feel like its going to snow outside. Please someone tell my why I am wrong!!!

Be Patient, on monday it looked to warm to snow 3.5c then within ten mins it was 1.5 and snowing. Hang in there.

Posted

Because its a front with a very breif mild infront of it. As it crosses over and drags very cold air aith a very strong wind wind chill will cause those temps to plumit. Its calm out at the moment but its nto going to stay that way. It snowed pretty much all day in RHondda where I work, on way home temps went from 2oC to 6oC in Llantrisant. Its supposed to happen. I thought I was going to be on the cusp of the rain to snow line, but for some reason I am feeling actually it will snow much further west. I looked at meteo site and all of wales has heavy snow tomorrow even pembroke and personally im betting on meteo being right as its human drawn chart. I think coomputer models have dam line way to far east to be honest.

Posted

Hi borrowed this from EGHH and Nick Sussex in another thread hope it helps

The latest surface plot:

uk_large.gif?

You can see the Southerly wind that has elevated the temperatures along the coast from roughly Lymington Westwards. When the wind swings back round and the normal diurnal cooling takes effect, these temperatures should drop back down. What I find really interesting is the low dew points looking across the channel. Even -1 in the middle of the channel.

From Nick

I've just done a quick paint job here:

post-1206-0-25893600-1358444772_thumb.png

The area to look for is northern and ne France, bear in mind when you look at the fax chart although it might look like a more s/se flow because you have high pressure to the ne with low pressure out west then the actual surface flow should pull round more to the east or ese.