Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

WS2350 temperature fluctuation

My wife got me a WS2350 for Christmas which I set up on Sunday.

All seems fine except I seem to be getting some incorrect temperature readings every now and again. This is from yesterdays data summary:

High Temperature 43.3 °C at 07:50 Low Temperature -16.7 °C at 07:37

Current readings are below which I think are about right

Temperature -3.6 °C Dew Point -4.9 °C Windchill 0 °C Humidity 91% Heat Index -3.6 °C Apparent Temperature -6.2 °C

Any ideas?

Posted

Is it just the temperature (and calculated dewpoint) going wrong?

It does look like a dodgy sensor.

Although conditions now are quite extreme it should be well within working range for it.

I didn't realise you were over here as well as BFF!

The thermo-hydro thingymajig is the only sensor I have hooked up as the anemometer arrived damaged and had to be returned.

I suppose it is possible that the temperature sensor could be damaged too

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Are these just "glitches" I.e are they short term spikes?

Rewind. Do you collect the data on a computer or just view on the unit?

If the data is collected on the computer then the serial to USB is renowned for this, I watched one happen on my unit the other night.

Now, the unit is also known for picking up intermittent spikes on the cable from sensor to transmitter, which is why some people have replaced this with shielded cable.

Overall how frequently does this happen. I see a spike maybe once or twice a week, although not every week.

Let me know, your findings.

Are these just "glitches" I.e are they short term spikes?

Rewind. Do you collect the data on a computer or just view on the unit?

If the data is collected on the computer then the serial to USB is renowned for this, I watched one happen on my unit the other night.

Now, the unit is also known for picking up intermittent spikes on the cable from sensor to transmitter, which is why some people have replaced this with shielded cable.

Overall how frequently does this happen. I see a spike maybe once or twice a week, although not every week.

Let me know, your findings.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

yes the spikes are short term, and are usually in the middle of the night.

The unit is connected to my PC via the serial > USB cable and I mostly view the data via the web: http://penshurstweather.delivermyfeed.co.uk/

Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply.

yes the spikes are short term, and are usually in the middle of the night.

The unit is connected to my PC via the serial > USB cable and I mostly view the data via the web: http://penshurstweat...ermyfeed.co.uk/

Yeah sounds very much like the classic serial> usb cable glitch that I experience. Never found an answer to it to be honest.

Posted

Ineresting, I have similar problems but my PC also freezes with the WS 2350 connected.

I thought perhaps it is an issue with the ports Com 3 and the FTP port 21.

Not yet investigated this.

Max temperatures on over 50 C and even after editing all the logs it still returns. Would my car remote key upset the readings?

With the issues of the usb/serial cable I wonder whether I'm better off getting a different station.

Any views?

Posted

Ineresting, I have similar problems but my PC also freezes with the WS 2350 connected.

I thought perhaps it is an issue with the ports Com 3 and the FTP port 21.

Not yet investigated this.

Max temperatures on over 50 C and even after editing all the logs it still returns. Would my car remote key upset the readings?

With the issues of the usb/serial cable I wonder whether I'm better off getting a different station.

Any views?

You do need to confirm that the problem is indeed the serial > usb connection and NOT the other end, i.e. temp sensor. I have only ever managed this once, as I happened to be sat next to the unit and saw the home screen suddenly show a high temperature whilst I was watching the base unit which was quite normal, which is why I know it was between the two.

The serial>usb problem seems to fairly well known, I think cumulus say on their home page the following:

Warning: If your weather station is a La Crosse and it is connected using a serial/USB adapter, then you will probably have problems using it with Cumulus, in that you will get erroneous data from time to time – this is a common problem with these stations when used in this way. There doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about this. For this reason, I am sorry to say that I cannot support the use of Cumulus in this way.

I've lived with mine for 7 years, it is annoying, I have to leave it until the end of the month, go and edit the log files, and then rerun the max / min data check again. Depends how much of an aggravation it is going to be for you, for the price it's still good value.

Further checking I found the following that might be of help:

http://sandaysoft.co...php?f=11&t=2540

There's some good help I think in there and I might even look deeper at a possible resolution for mine, as there does seem some hope!

Post how you get on.

Reminds me I need to erase the two events from January this year sorry.gif

Edited by Dorsetbred