Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Jeg stoler ikke på Met Office prognoser.

De legger for mye hest kjøtt i sine burgere.

http://translate.goo...sine burgere.

can i see the word 'Burger in there lol?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Try and pin down the date Ravelin and will pull the chart from Wetterzentrale archive.

Could it have been 10th-15th January 1987?post-1989-0-43781900-1358424621_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I'm rapidly heading for a TOORP moment - what does it take to get some bloody snow to this area?!

]

I will be watching the radar tomorrow and if there are no signs of snow coming this way I will lose the plot and smash the sledge up unsure.pngaggressive.giflaugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

That Norwegian site is the business. I never even knew half of those web cams existed! Now added to my favourites!

I was in Norway a few months ago and mentioned this site to the friends I was staying with. They're very fond of it, mainly because of the wry title. 'yr' (which is a nightmare to pronounce properly) means 'drizzle' in Norwegian.....which gives you an idea of how Norwegians view their climate in a similarly humorous fashion to us smile.png

EDIT - it's like the German 'Uhr' but with a slight roll of the tongue on the R so that the word ends up having two silly bulls.

Edited by Scotster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

gah the updated warnings for Glasgow really are dire, as in....there are none anymore! just about ready to give up hope for snow this year I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

gah the updated warnings for Glasgow really are dire, as in....there are none anymore! just about ready to give up hope for snow this year I think

Yeah I know and to make things worse the whole of England are under yellow warnings and even amber warnings sorry.gifsad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Well its 3 degrees here in Alloa at the moment, hoping my home in Lochgelly is colder ready for any precipiation coming from the east over the weekend. If not prams, toys, throwing out wil be the order of the day :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Yeah I know and to make things worse the whole of England are under yellow warnings and even amber warnings sorry.gifsad.png

sooo depressing isn't it? things could change I guess, but the way this winter has been for Glasgow I do seriously doubt it lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Aw c'mon guys!

"Things could change" - well, that's ALL they've done for weeks now! I don't see why these forecasts are suddenly more definite, certain and solid than yesterday's or the day before's or last week's... nothing's ever certain til it lands on your head, whether sunlight or snow :)

Posted

MetO says one thing, this says another:

13011900_2_1706.gif

Just proves it'll come down to the wire.

Monday looks like potential:

13012112_2_1706.gif

This is my lack of knowledge showing here but what does the red line with the hail symbol mean?

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Absolutely devastated

All to play for the METO and BBC are still only 60% sure. I am not relying on the models tonight and tomorrow.

Posted

This is my lack of knowledge showing here but what does the red line with the hail symbol mean?

Freezing rain I think. Can someone else confirm?

Posted

Fronts are usually the best hope for Glasgow and the west as well. Oh well, maybe there'll be a surprise! I suppose I should be pleased because it would be easier to drive up north on Sunday if there's no snow but the childish wish to see snow has taken over!

Posted

I dont have a whole lot of confidence in the Met-O's 5 day forecast.

Good example being my parents house in Rickarton. They are around 200m above sea-level, 8 miles from the coast and they are predicted for rain this weekend.

I think they tend to generalise things a bit too much.

I know from many years of living here that if we get an easterly, we get snow. Thats pretty much the rule for Aberdeenshire. Its not very often that a northerly or eastelry doesnt deliver here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, my toys are at the ready, anyone want to play 'Catch'? I'm about to flounce off and have a humungous sulk. Anyone care to join me?

Posted

Strong southerly wind here now blowing up clouds of frozen dust on the farm road not seen since the begining of September 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Not looking good for Edinburgh and central belt yet again, I don't understand how SW wind carry showers over land in Edinburgh yet SE winds don't and yet we are on the East coast???

For SE winds, the danger would be Edinburgh being in the 'snow shadow' of the Lammermuirs, with aw the snaw being dumped on fort SS.

However, if intense enough, could be carried all the way over.

Best direction for Embra would be E to ENE directly into the Forth Valley.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Well, my toys are at the reathe anyone want to play 'Catch'? I'm about to flounce off and have a humungous sulk. Anyone care to join me?

bring the cold and the snow shall follow

frontal attacks from the west, convection from the east - charts still fine in the reliable tf