Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Animating the 0z charts you can really see how the cold pushes back the encroaching Atlantic, and it doesn't look all that doom and gloom for snaw. Looks like anything could fall from Friday morning onwards, with Monday looking very good for attacks from the East, but no doubt that will all change again on the 6z.

uksnowrisk.png

Anyway I am off for a Burger.....

post-2849-0-32225700-1358414814_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I think the best have already been done but here's a selection from the Grauniad...

HSE confirm that all who ate horseburgers are in a stable condition.

I got fired from the meat factory because I got an e-mail about a delivery of horse meat and I marked it as spam.

Tesco's Value range has traces of pantomime horse.

Never mind the burgers. I've long since thought their huge sausages were very suspicious.

They could market them in France as Tesco Chevalue.

Brooks and Cameron asked to account for missing Police horse.

MPs are to debate the ongoing horse meat fiasco in Parliament in the coming weeks. Ed Milliband made an early strike this morning warning David Cameron againt illegal use of the Whip....

Would sir like his burger medium rare, or good to firm?

I really don't like the idea of some poor sod semolinaing off a horse into a bucket just so Waitrose can say 'it's no horse-meat in our burgers'!

Tesco are now saddled with a load of burgers that they can't sell.

Posted

-0.9c here this morning but feel much colder. I'm hoping I'll be lucky enough tomorrow and get a covering, our snow is confined to the edges of the pavements and random shaded spots. I'd love a late night with the radar tomorrow :-)

Posted

I went to a burger van last night and got a cheeseburger, the woman asked if I wanted to put anything on it, I said a fiver.

I hope this doesn't end up as a cold but nae snaw much winter, much like 05-06 and 08-09.

Edited by Hiya

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

I have liked the jokes but mainly out of pity rofl.gifblum.gif

Just read on here so far this morning, and it seems we were all change this morning? Off to look at the models then. As much as the MetO gets some stick, I really wouldn't want to be them at the moment.

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted

I notice everyones favourite new site has Android and iPhone apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.nrk.yr&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/yr.no/id490989206?mt=8

Not installed it yet but might be of interest to some

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I have the liked the jokes but mainly out of pity rofl.gifblum.gif

Just read on here so far this morning, and it seems we were all change this morning? Off to look at the models then. As much as the MetO gets some stick, I really wouldn't want to be them at the moment.

At the moment and recently the models have been dramatically wrong. I am therefore still hoping the snow from the west will get further East than currently predicted. It really depends on the strength of the Easterly and the timing. If we only get Eastery snow then it will be sporadic and localised not the snow event we were hoping for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

MetO warning now extends up the East into Fife, and the Hootsmon just published this warning for the Lothians and Embra http://www.scotsman.com/news/lothians-face-a-battering-from-blizzards-and-gales-1-2742179?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Posted

"Tesco are now saddled with a load of burgers they can"t sell" This quote From Hairy Celt needs a bit of explanation I feel.

I am sure they will just return all burger products to their suppliers at the suppliers cost with the legal explanation that it was outwith their contract specification and then get them to pay for all the ads in the papers. Tesco will certainly see that it hurts their pocket as little as possible. Grumpy old farmer rant!!!!

Back to the weather currently 0c and overcast and few wintry showers to the north. Ground still iron hard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Not what you want to here in many areas but from a METO source.... (aberdeenshire and borders hogging the action....perhaps superfast snow for SS) I still hope this easterly will deliver but perhaps less likely with less of an undercut?)

Tomorrow's snow event is no longer looking widespread Scotland - the last few computer runs have been tending to favour the solutions we were seeing earlier this week, with the majority of the heavy precipitation being held over western England and Wales. This means that we will perhaps see some modest accumulations over western parts of Dumfries and Galloway and that we will see little in the way of northeasterly progression of this over the rest of Scotland.

Over eastern coasts, however, strong to gale force southeasterly winds will bring frequent and occasionally heavy, snow showers inland so areas exposed to the southeast such as the higher ground of Angus and Aberdeenshire may well see 10-15cm accumulating over the course of tomorrow, and we will also see some accumulations over the eastern Borders, perhaps 5-10cm here. Elsewhere in eastern areas there is the potential for quite widespread accumulations of 2-5cm. Areas sheltered from the southeast (eg Edinburgh) are likely to see fewer showers. With the showers coming from the east, the snow is likely to be drier and this will increase the risk of drifting in the winds.

The METO warnings will be revised later this morning, and there is currently no expectation of any Amber warnings now being issued for Scotland.

Edited by lorenzo
Fixing Fonts

Posted

Is that the first signs of the front appearing on the radar SW coast of Ireland?

Yes it is but I think the main band will be slightly behind that. If it's strong enough then Central Scotland will still get hit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A few things to note:

yes, the main band is further west again, which is unfortunate, but I still believe we'll see snow spreading into western parts from early Friday with the main feature then becoming the movement west of the snow risk.

The UKMO has pushed our uppers over the weekend down from 'marginal' to 'an utter pasting', so as currently modelled there is a good chance for many eastern and central parts of further snowfall to come into Saturday.

The FAX charts have a trough moving westwards off the North Sea towards us tomorrow midday. Overall, I'm certainty not unhappy with the current outlook, although it is markedly poorer for western parts, but still enough time for arrive at a snowier solution and the mesoscales do appear to be trending towards one, bringing the frontal risk further north and east on this run.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Dunno if I have any confidence in that forecast BMW, seems a bit premature to me? The front isn't forecast to reach us now.

Never heard of a severe flurry of snow? Still, as I said before, it will all come down to radar watching in the end.smile.png

Posted

Thanks Edodfc. I must admit that the MetO sourec confirms my worst fears - Edinburgh is too sheltered from SE'erly. Not looking great at the minute. At least it'll stay cold though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I will be watching the radar tomorrow with interest as the snow may well make it to central areas if the front is strong enough, fingers crossed. I am not throwing my toys oot just yet!blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thanks Edodfc. I must admit that the MetO sourec confirms my worst fears - Edinburgh is too sheltered from SE'erly. Not looking great at the minute. At least it'll stay cold though.

The famed Norwegian site shows precipitation really picking up widely from the east overnight into Saturday, which is related to this little feature I believe:

fax48s.gif?10-12

I may have to head to Fife though for the weekend to see some more impressive snow offerings!

Posted

My gut feeling is there will still be zero snow here by the end of Saturday, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Off to the hills on Sunday, methinks. it's hugely frustrating for the Scottish ski areas though that it's staying so cold but delivering minimal snow.

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted

MetO says one thing, this says another:

13011900_2_1706.gif

Just proves it'll come down to the wire.

Monday looks like potential:

13012112_2_1706.gif

Posted

I will be watching the radar tomorrow with interest as the snow may well make it to central areas if the front is strong enough, fingers crossed. I am not throwing my toys oot just yet!blum.gif

It's a lot messier than what was initially forecast because, while the front won't make it, a lot of frontal associated precipitation may feed northwards alongside a separate feature in the North Sea which would deliver quite widely I'd imagine tomorrow night.

There's a continued risk from the east after that, which on strong winds could push quite widely inland (given it's more of a straight easterly flow this would be better than southeasterlies for the west) and after that both UKMO (at just +144) and GEM (a bit later on) hint at what looks to me like the logically conclusion to this story - the proper northeasterly blast Invernessians have been so patiently waiting for!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Stop all the horsing around, just burger off!

The NMM shows the front kissing Stranraer and leaving Scotland...loads of precip coming off the North Sea getting picked up though. Some people are going to end up hugely disappointed in the next 48 hours sad.png Some will be snowed in smile.png

Well you dont mince your words do you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

I think the change in forecast for reduced snow just matches how up and down and back and forth the models have been the last two weeks, especialy when it comes down to the finer details. i still tink we will get some of the glorious white stuff this weekend and the cold does not look like going any where soon, so I am still happy!