Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013. 12z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

of course of course and heres hoping they do! But I think we have to admitt the major event is a no go...although to be fair 2cm IS a major event here...fellow Fylde coasters would you agree 2cm for here is once in 5 year event?

Yes, I was just about to say that. It's the same on the Merseyside coast as well. I had never seen more than 5 cm of snow in my whole 18 year life until 2009, so in any other average winter 2 to 5 cm would be a major event.

Posted

Just typical really but at least we will have snow, thats all im bothered about 2 to 5 cm is alot for this area.

I would think that even this will change to nothing later in the day, certainly for Northern and Eastern areas of the region because the front alignment will be Northern Ireland – North Wales – Shrops- maybe Birmingham.

The forecast for snow on Monday already looks wrong for the region.

Posted

forecast on my station showing snow in the next 12 hours

at what time does the 06z come out?

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Why is the met office wigan forecast still showing light snow from 6pm to midnight tonight then tomorrow light snow from 9am till midnight if it's all going south of Liverpool?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I would think that even this will change to nothing later in the day, certainly for Northern and Eastern areas of the region because the front alignment will be Northern Ireland – North Wales – Shrops- maybe Birmingham.

just light and patchy at best for our regions, a covering at least, we are way too far east, monday looks mainly dry for most areas in NW and NW midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

I fear you are right Ian, one of those a few flurries in the air and an overcast day look likely, just a small kink overnight has caused the front to pivot, well if the snow wont come to me.......

Posted

Why is the met office wigan forecast still showing light snow from 6pm to midnight tonight then tomorrow light snow from 9am till midnight if it's all going south of Liverpool?

they dont update with every change...they wait until they have more data in ..have a good look at it and update warnings at 11...unlike us lot they take a measured balacned approach rather than jump form run to run

Posted

Liverpool metar EGGP 170500Z 1706/1806 14009KT 9999 SCT030 PROB40 TEMPO 1706/1710 9000 PROB30 TEMPO 1720/1803 3000 -SN BKN009 BECMG 1803/1806 1500 SN BR BKN005 - snow forecast

still waiting for update, which i think is at 10am but can't remember

decoded for people who can't read metars

Day of month: 17

Time: 05:00 UTC

Wind: True direction = 140 degrees, Speed: 9 knots

Visibility: 10 km or more

Clouds: Scattered , at 3000 feet above aerodrome level

The following weather phenomena are expected to arise temporarily:

Visibility: 9000 m

The following weather phenomena are expected to arise temporarily:

Visibility: 3000 m

Weather: Light Snow

Clouds: Broken sky , at 900 feet above aerodrome level

The following weather phenomena are expected to arise soon:

Visibility: 1500 m

Weather: Snow

Weather: Mist

Clouds: Broken sky , at 500 feet above aerodrome level

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Not only will we miss the snow but in typical easterly style, the skies are grey laden for the second day running, there was no frost during the night and the outlook is for much of the same. I hate easterly blocks with a vengeance, they hardly ever deliver for our region and keep us in a boring dull and cold regime.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

By the way, does anyone recall seeing the "Hugo Low" spawned by a battleground front before, or has it simply been invented for this occasion to ruin things for the NW?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

By the way, does anyone recall seeing the "Hugo Low" spawned by a battleground front before, or has it simply been invented for this occasion to ruin things for the NW?

Ha ha I think the latter. Would be typical wouldn't it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Yes, I was just about to say that. It's the same on the Merseyside coast as well. I had never seen more than 5 cm of snow in my whole 18 year life until 2009, so in any other average winter 2 to 5 cm would be a major event.

you would of done in 1996 Chris although only one or two, Crosby for istance had 27cm of level snow, a similar situation just now with cold block in place and atlantic trying to push in and failing, very rare. Fed up myself as it looked the same until the over nighters came in, could change, who knows, things do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

I'm not even going to look at any more forecasts and just see what happens. We keep have a few flakes here in Wallasey. I am keeping everything crossed that at least we have enough for it to look pretty for a while and to build a big snowman!!

Posted

It is an upgrade but just doesn't look right to me.

where is the snow supposed to come from to cover most of the country exactly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting ??️?️??️

To be honest, i'd be happy with 1 cm and a few frosts, rarely get much here, and when we have, they have usually not been ramped in advance

Posted

I'm not even going to look at any more forecasts and just see what happens. We keep have a few flakes here in Wallasey. I am keeping everything crossed that at least we have enough for it to look pretty for a while and to build a big snowman!!

liverpool south and cheshire should do okay out of this, its to the north and the east where the problems are but then short term change can occur like it did last night