Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013. 12z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please use this thread for your regional discussions about the current weather or what is being forecast for the next few days in the north west of England...

Link to the previous one here:

Posted

Help! Anyone give me some advice here, I was supposed to be travelling up to the North West this weekend, yesterday I decided it was too risky to travel based on discussions here and the forecast but today it seems to have flipped and pushed the snow further west, but obviously there is a chance this could be slightly wrong too and snow could still affect travel - on the train this is on the West Coast Mainline - is the trip still a tad risky. Obviously there now seemingly seems to be a snow risk for the South East for Sunday now, so I need to take that into account for getting back home. But what would people suggest?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I just noticed by looking at the radar. http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I think the front will not come until tomorrow evening and stall with us at the weekend. 10cm by the end of weekend.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Looks like this is the biggest non-event we have ever seen in these parts , can't belive it was hyped up so much and now we're likely to getnext to nothing snow wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well I am just going to see what happens and nowcast. I'm not going to look at anything else apart from the Met office text forecast which currently couldn't be better.

Headline:

Mostly dry and very cold. Snow arriving later tonight.

Today:

Dry and very cold for most despite some brightness after any freezing fog patches clear. Some patchy snow may reach Cheshire towards evening as winds increase. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Tonight:

Most places dry at first, but becoming windy with a little snow in places, perhaps more persistent and heavier in the south later. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Friday:

Windy with snow spreading to

all areas

with some

significant accumulations

with a risk of disruption. Risk of blizzards over high ground and feeling bitterly cold in the wind. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

Updated: 0357 on Thu 17 Jan 2013

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Windy with further snow on Saturday. Sunday, less windy, mostly dry but cloudy after freezing fog lifts. More snow and strong winds on Monday. Cold and icy.

Updated: 0357 on Thu 17 Jan 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Btw, it's only -0.3c and the minimum was just -1.0c. Stupid cloud

Posted

Help! Anyone give me some advice here, I was supposed to be travelling up to the North West this weekend, yesterday I decided it was too risky to travel based on discussions here and the forecast but today it seems to have flipped and pushed the snow further west, but obviously there is a chance this could be slightly wrong too and snow could still affect travel - on the train this is on the West Coast Mainline - is the trip still a tad risky. Obviously there now seemingly seems to be a snow risk for the South East for Sunday now, so I need to take that into account for getting back home. But what would people suggest?

a bit of snow can ause chaos I suppose...but this no longer looks like a major event....go off the meto advice even yesterday when it looked bad they saide be prepared to change your plans...not defiantly change your plans.......its one thing to look at models and hope the synoptics come off...but very risky to alter your plans off the back of them

Edited by chris78

Posted

The only consolation I can offer is that parts of the West Midlands are reporting light snow, further east than suggested and the much vaunted BBC graphics showed rain for west Wales when in fact the precipitation area is as far as the West Midlands and is infact snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

First time ive checked since yesterday, and it now looks like we aint going to get much, however i think it will all change again to our benefit

I admire you optimism , however there doesn't look like there's anything to back up your view, the models the precip charts,mET OFFICE FORECASTS AND bbc FORECASTS ALL POINT TO THE MAIN SNOW NOT REACHING ANYWHERE NORTH OF lIVERPOOL UNFORTUNATELY.. I hate the Caps lock button(sorry)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Got to be the T-shirt to wear today:

bauers_law_whatever_can_go_wrong_will_go_wrong_tshirt-raaa089f698a84b6cbc6a632bc147578d_8nh9w_512.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

...based on what......

the fact that there is a song called "things can only get better" ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

...based on what......

Hi Chris mate. Well, which pub is it my friend??!

Posted

still seems to be looking good for Liverpool and south

temp -0.1 dp -2.2C

lots of cloud overnight keeping temperatures from dropping more than -1.4C

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Hi Chris mate. Well, which pub is it my friend??!

....oh mate i know.......I think we all deep down (even the rampers) knew this would happen.......

very sad last night, it was trending away and there were members just not prepared to accept it...anyone being realistic... was being negative or relying on the pub run, or 'panicking' (that one came up alot)....totally understandable the disappointment but maybe next time...they wont all gang up on anyone being realistic?

Id say the #Continental but I wass in there watching the big 2010 fall...so that would be painfull

Edited by chris78

Posted

Yes, cheer up you gloomy lot! It'll all be fine. Just watch the front battered the region and then stall over Lancashire.

Posted

I wouldn't build your hopes up for any substantial snow during the next 7 days at least, the block to our east is just too strong. A mostly dry seven days at least, those in the South of the region probably seeing snow at some point.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer