Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 16/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted

Latest NAE precip accumulated charts are out - seems to be taking longer to advance - not getting as far east ??

http://www.weatheron...=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

That's probably because the heaviest precipitation is expected after midday. This chart is for midday Friday.

Karyo

Posted

That's probably because the heaviest precipitation is expected after midday. This chart is for midday Friday.

If the band slows down it is better for us - more hours of heavy snowfall. If it moves quickly it won't be as good for us.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Well it would live up to its name

Posted

How much snow is bury (north manchester) likely to get out of all this?

Looking at the map on the previous stage the metoffice seem to think somewhere in the region of 10-15cm so 4-6 inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

That stuff out in the Irish Sea is advancing to us. Could be some snowfall later if it continues at this rate.

Posted

I love it!

I just hope the systems slows dowm on the western half of the country so that we get as much snow as possible! The excellent thing is that no thaw is expected over the weekend!

Karyo

Christ, if you and Happy Days are positive about it then things must be looking good !

Posted

Christ, if you and Happy Days are positive about it then things must be looking good !

They are looking rather good! lol

You should talk by the way! ;-)

Karyo

Posted

im still not convinced until i see it....

good job we are in the west..i wouldn't like to be in the east of the region with what's going to happen.

Posted

Well i have got to be at manchester airport early morning sunday for a flight to finland . Hope the airports clear up

this is the united kingdom..where the busiest airport in the world was closed due to incompetence and stupidity for nearly a week lmao

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Been a cloudy day so far with only limited breaks, temps falling after a max of 2.5c, it's now 1.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

A word of caution in his final sentence on this video, "These warnings are LIKELY to change in the next two days."

Pleeeeze let it be upgrades Pleeeze :-)

Posted

thick cloud and occasional snow flakes falling, temperature now dropping too -1.7C dp -4C

I think we'll be in for some snow this evening, the way things are working out here.

As to the fall totals, the numbers I am seeing are all conservative...we are not going to know until the event

itself, lots of words of caution, and yet unless it suddenly springs summer in 2 days..i fail to see what

the concern is here besides the fact this is quite rare...then again snow isn't rare..what is though, is going longer

than 12 months without a single flake, and now we are going to be pasted...wouldnt be surprised to see initial

estimates at lower levels be increased to 20/25 possibly even 30cm..certainly to the south of the region where

the initial heaviest falls are predicted to occur early friday morning...

but we still have today and tomorrow to go, and with the thick cloud already over us trying to snow and temps

going back down. never at any time today did we get above 0C..in fact we did not get above -1C :p

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

this is the united kingdom..where the busiest airport in the world was closed due to incompetence and stupidity for nearly a week lmao

looks like i wont be heading out then haha last feb the 4th when we had that bad snow i had the same flight on the sunday and managed to get on the flight and suprisingly the airport was pretty clear . If the snow stops by saterday afternoon then that gives them 12 hours to clear it so should be enought time

thick cloud and occasional snow flakes falling, temperature now dropping too -1.7C dp -4C 7

I think we'll be in for some snow this evening, the way things are working out here.

Are there definately flakes falling, looks a lot more potent out in the Irish sea than the BBC are suggesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Liam how would you rate my analysis from earlier

I mentioned a few times that the current set up reminds me a lot of Feb 1996, it was only the day before that the true level of impact was realised as I remember seeing forecasts in the days before saying the front would move through and introduce rain after a period of heavy snow. The front became very slow moving as it moved into Western Britain and west of the Pennines got hammered! Your analysis was pretty good, perhaps a little ott ramping the totals but in all fairness that wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility for 30cm+

Much like Feb 96 the front seems to get stuck and then it fizzles out in situ and maybe pulling back west before it does off, however snow is predicted to reach further east than 96.

Edited by Liam J