Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/01/13 06z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Okey dokey then, a new thread for today's fun & games, so carry on here please!

Old thread here --------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Well after worrying earlier reading the mod thread I feel happy now, lets hope it remains this way for West Country or dare I say upgrade further.

Posted

Well just to continue on the positive note.

The 06z nae is still trending away from its previous stance, it's keeping dps colder over the sw for thursday(sub 0), makes the pressure over England higher and has a better angle on things, still not quite with the GFS yet.

Also the EC EPS generally keep things further west as well than the ops run and the colder air in place for friday/sat.

This all backs up what ian said about still being definately on for the SW and and the chief forecaster going for SW SNOW and lots of it.

BTW NAE shows a shocking amount of precip waiting in the wings for us for friday....

Also longer term i would fully back up AWD's thoughts for sunday and beyond, the cold air isnt really going anywhere imho and the trend in the models is very good.Any snow could hang around for quite a few days Depending on sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

From the 6z output it looks my location may be the boundary between all snow and a snow to rain event for Friday. However, this is likely to change before the event and hopefully the boundary moves south west slightly. Anyone north or east of me looks like they could have an interesting Friday to say the least...

I sense some of the latest output will be of some concern to our friends further east, so be beware of reading too much into the word 'downgrade' which is likely to be strewn across the Model Discussion thread with regard to Friday. After Friday, who knows, but further snow events seem increasingly likely.

Edited by Snow Schmow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Snowing on the Isle of Wight only light.must be getting som convection off the channel :-)

Posted

From the 6z output it looks my location may be the boundary between all snow and a snow to rain event for Friday. However, this is likely to change before the event and hopefully the boundary moves south west slightly. Anyone north or east of me looks like they could have an interesting Friday to say the least...

I do think that's the area of most interest in this region currently, but a lot of people could be caught out by the slightest of movements E-W. Good luck everyone, I hope you all get what you want!

Posted

Finally the first chart of the NAE SNOW frame, Heavy snow for devon by 06 in the morning.

And this is not the best of the charts either and will upgrade to be more in line with everything else imho

post-6326-0-51734700-1358328170_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

nae has dps of -6 for parts of the sw for friday morning, and even down to -3 for the devon/dorset border.

It's getting there, but I'd still like a couple more westward shifts yet just to make it a tad more comfortable.

Posted

Snowing on the Isle of Wight only light.must be getting som convection off the channel :-)

yep, that little shower tracking along the channel. I hope it drifts slightly further northwest!

getting a bit excited about friday now....going to take work home on thursday in preparation. hope that isn't the kiss of death.

Edited by Pharaoh Clutchstraw

Posted

Finally the first chart of the NAE SNOW frame, Heavy snow for devon by 06 in the morning.

And this is not the best of the charts either and will upgrade to be more in line with everything else imho

lol loving the blue square piece of sleet over my area in Bournemouth! Always the same here lol

Posted

It's getting there, but I'd still like a couple more westward shifts yet just to make it a tad more comfortable.

Yep i would prefer a slightly better angle of approach, but its shifting slowly from its isolated position.

Posted

So anyone North of the M4 in the West country should make plans to maybe work from home or risk getting stranded? Wonder if the schools will even bother opening if it's forecast to snow all day?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

AWD, if you wish for to much of a NW shift you might get to mild where you are and it rains.

Posted

AWD, if you wish for to much of a NW shift you might get to mild where you are and it rains.

SW shift, not NW.

Posted

Awaits model thread to be gutted.. South west getting the purple patch... So who is up for build a igloo challenge? clapping.gifdrinks.gif

Edited by lfcdude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Looking good may it continue although wish the bbc and meto local forecast would show more than light snow on my 5 day acute.gif

Lets just keep calm though until this evening and into thursday as we have all been burnt befgore...

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

NMM 0.05 on meteociel shows more snow for West wales and the south west than the NAE. Both hi res models. Still expecting the NAE to upgrade slightly for both my and your area.

Posted

Still looking good for you guys on this GFS run!

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted

A fantastic sight before sunrise this morning along the Avon Valley path on the way to the bakery in Downton, Wilts.

Thought it worthy of a post.

post-7340-0-85691100-1358329463_thumb.jp

Posted

GFS 06z for Friday goes east as per usual.

Expect the 12z GFS to pull back west again.

Edited by AWD