Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013 20:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Already have a good 5cm I think, the front curl back will add another 2-5cm here in Norwich! help.gif

N&W Norfolk will do particularly well too!

Edited by Chris D

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Maybe I'm just a suspicious mind, but may I suggest that the MetO have already started to make noises about the possibility of snow Friday onwards? It is being generally indicated (albeit as light snow) on the MetO site for many places Friday, and I see that Ms Dolan has gone out to Friday on the graphic there on the forecast. Perhaps it means that they suspect something serious could be underway, and are preparing us already as well as covering themselves against a 'we were not adequately warned' allegation? One for conspiracy theorists here I know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Looks like the top of that band is breaking up. This will be lamp post watching and praying I think lol

And we STILL have Paul Mccartney!

Posted

Maybe I'm just a suspicious mind, but may I suggest that the MetO have already started to make noises about the possibility of snow Friday onwards? It is being generally indicated (albeit as light snow) on the MetO site for many places Friday, and I see that Ms Dolan has gone out to Friday on the graphic there on the forecast. Perhaps it means that they suspect something serious could be underway, and are preparing us already as well as covering themselves against a 'we were not adequately warned' allegation? One for conspiracy theorists here I know.

That immediately sprung to mind. Look East have been traditionally extra cautious with their forecasts, but jumping straight to Friday surprised me.

Looking at the charts, there could easily be 6-8 inches in many areas. Still T96.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Forgiv me if im wrong but I thought the west were mostly like to benefit from friday? The GFS indicates that it will break up before it reaches us.

Posted

By what i been reading in the models thread, i think FI at the moment is about 24, 48 hours tops! So anything remotely resembling a forecast past those time frames its a stunt to say the least rofl.gifrofl.gifgood.gif

Edit: Its getting quite windy here in Ipswich at the moment.

Edited by Pirata

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

I am 18 miles NE of Norwich been snowing for 5 hours around 13-15cm here and still snowing as the front is pivoting was not expecting such good totals !!!drinks.gif

NW of Norwich even LOL

Edited by TobyT

Posted

Good evening all, snowing again in King's Lynn after a brief break. Nice couple of inches over everything now.

You should be squids in looking at the radar. I think only the east of the region is looking likely for more snow. Depends how much faith in radars I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Impossible for them really. I don't think any us believe the monster undercut will really happen so they don't want to panic anyone (especially those in SW England). On the other hand, if they don't say anything and it does come off, they'll be crucified.

Edited by Yarmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

In a good way for Norwich, or like eye of the storm meaning Norwich will get no more from the rotation?

Longer-lasting snow, of course...good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I am 18 miles NE of Norwich been snowing for 5 hours around 13-15cm here and still snowing as the front is pivoting was not expecting such good totals !!!drinks.gif

15cm? Now are you fibbing? lol

Posted

Forgiv me if im wrong but I thought the west were mostly like to benefit from friday? The GFS indicates that it will break up before it reaches us.

I would suggest that its really too early to tell as it depends upon the angle of attack - dont forget that we will be in a SE wind, possible almost gale with low heights which will be picking up moisture over the North Sea anyway.

Posted

Longer-lasting snow, of course...good.gif

Well that's alright then! I was worried there that we would only have a foot of snow tonight!

Posted

nice to see the 6 inches of snow there in norfolk-

send it this way!!!!!!

Not sure if they have rulers up there.

Posted

Anything from Mr Atlantic will be short lived, when it passes through it will turn windy and mild...game over

Posted

nice to see the 6 inches of snow there in norfolk-

send it this way!!!!!!

I've only got a couple of inches and I'm in Norwich! shok.gif

Quite a difference there

Edited by Chris D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

15cm? Now are you fibbing? lol

We often get more snow/rain in this local for some reason, partly due to being about the highest elevation in the county but its around 13-15cm!!!!!!!

And its still falling!! Oh and I am NW of Norwich I put NE Been doing too much snow watching and chart viewing

Edited by TobyT

Posted

We often get more snow/rain in this local for some reason, partly due to being about the highest elevation in the county but its around 13-15cm!!!!!!!

Ah that explains it lol.

Posted

Ah that explains it lol.

Jammy bugger is standing on his soap box ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And its still falling!!

The speciality fully-patented 'Yamkin' ruler helps though, doesn't it? rofl.gif

Posted

Anything from Mr Atlantic will be short lived, when it passes through it will turn windy and mild...game over

Hmmm not from what I'm seeing at the moment

Atlantic energy definitely prone to heading SE with the stratospheric vortex (or lack of) decreasing the influence of tropospheric W Greenland/Canadian vortex, not to mention what is left of the vortex across Canada looking prone to digging south and re-amplifying the entire hemispheric pattern.

Temporarily less cold for a few days the other side of this coming weekend - perhaps (dependant upon how much of a fight the block puts up) but not before some likely large snowfall events across Southern UK (our proximity to the near continent does us wonders in these situations.

Fascinating period coming up and even if the cold moderates at day 7, it will be back before the months out

SK

Posted

1.5c thats the warmest its been here all day. ! Dunno whats going on here. Assume temps will start dropping below freezing soon.

Not even gonna hope for that wraparound snow later. Just looked at the radar, and its breaking and pulling east. Not ruling out a slight dusting from a shower that looks like they have broken off from the front.