Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Having watched BBC Scotland forecast tonight feel a bit disappointed, shows tonight's showers mostly only affecting east coast south of Edinburgh, dying out around Aberdeen soon and not much if anything down through Angus and Dundee area. Then it's dry but cold all the way through to Thursday across Scotland. It was only yesterday we had forecasts for snow bands Tuesday and Wednesday all now downgraded. Anyway chin up as we now look towards the weekend, and the possibilities showing up from what I read in the kilted thread (although LS already making me nervous again as he mentions marginality of uppers etc)

A wee trip into model thread called for I think to read up on the detail of the model outputs today.

Posted

Having watched BBC Scotland forecast tonight feel a bit disappointed, shows tonight's showers mostly only affecting east coast south of Edinburgh, dying out around Aberdeen soon and not much if anything down through Angus and Dundee area. Then it's dry but cold all the way through to Thursday across Scotland. It was only yesterday we had forecasts for snow bands Tuesday and Wednesday all now downgraded. Anyway chin up as we now look towards the weekend, and the possibilities showing up from what I read in the kilted thread (although LS already making me nervous again as he mentions marginality of uppers etc)

A wee trip into model thread called for I think to read up on the detail of the model outputs today.

For the flip side, maybe check out the met office warnings for your area covering tonight and tomorrow

Posted

At the foothills of the Lammermuirs smile.png Just had a light flake or two and then it went off again lol Still watching....now with a cuppa in hand and the radar on!

Looking closer at the radar it looked like that splodge just clipped above musselburgh/pans area and went towards the lammermuirs. The next part of the band should have more promise.

Ahhh in that case it doesn't surprise me you have seen more than me up here lol. Most we have had all winter is a brief covering in December that lasted 1 day, lucky if it was mm's in depth and a few passing flakes here and there.

Really hoping something comes along and gives us a decent dump in the near future. I reckon East Lothian has been pretty unlucky so far.

Edited by Snowman09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Its snowing here .... a few flakes. Can see the Stars.

Edited by snow1975

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Its snowing here .... a few flakes. Can see the Stars.

Send it to glenrothes. Am mega jel lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Had a few flakes earlier, but nothing major. T 1.9C, D 0.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

The snow has now totally petered out here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

More sleet before tea. For fks sake, house swap with anyone inland!! (Nae wife swap tho!!)

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Maximum temperature today +1.2C. Now -1.6C/-2.2C (-0.3C/hour). Snow still lying here, about 1cm. Snow flurry leaving Dundee at 18.00.

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

More sleet before tea. For fks sake, house swap with anyone inland!! (Nae wife swap tho!!)

I'd wait to see the house on offer first before agreeing to a swap.

The wife on offer too for that matter.

Still some light snaw here. Maybe 0.5-1cm from that band that came over.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Does anyone know what the December 2012 average monthly temperature was for Scotland ? Cheers !

The mean was 2.3C according to the Met O. 0.5c below average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Does anyone know what the December 2012 average monthly temperature was for Scotland ? Cheers !

2.3C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Having reanalysed the charts, this band was never actually predicted to get inland. The real threat is in fact still to the north and northeast and will start to affect central areas around 10pm to midnight, first through this band sinking across the Highlands and secondly from the remains of the front to the northeast collapsing southwestwards again, with convective showers in behind.

Posted

Having reanalysed the charts, this band was never actually predicted to get inland. The real threat is in fact still to the north and northeast and will start to affect central areas around 10pm to midnight, first through this band sinking across the Highlands and secondly from the remains of the front to the northeast collapsing southwestwards again, with convective showers in behind.

So that was just an aperitif I've had? Better than voulevents any day. Looking forward to the main course.

2.3C

What a crap temperature. Typical Scotland. Nae snaw, but no wantin ye feeling warm either likes.

EDIT, got me own wee 'e' in carnoustie on google maps - Hawick streamer goin on here. Super fast snaw again!

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Just looking at the radar there. Is that some connection starting off the far north east coast?

If we do get some showers going, I assume they fade away early tomorrow?

Posted

Just looking at the radar there. Is that some connection starting off the far north east coast?

If we do get some showers going, I assume they fade away early tomorrow?

Yes, that appears to be how this is going to evolve. North of Dundee they will, but further south the showers are likely to keep going until the afternoon I believe, although moreso near the coast and not necessarily all that heavy it must be said.

Posted

Woah. Temporary belter. Wee wan's in bed, otherwise I'd ask for the correct terminology.

post-9421-0-68487200-1358196311_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Thanks for the figure Norrance, LS, SS.

OK, we had a mild first week in January but even putting aside the ongoing snow let-downs (in general..and some lucky punters have done OK-ish the last 2-3 days), the general outlook for the remainder of January appears at least rather cold.

Just wondering if its going to be one of these winters that comes in below average up here but possibly without any snow/ice winter events to make it memorable in years to come.

Personally I'd opt for an average or just above-average winter that at least has something to remember it by. Didn't 2009/10 come into that category or did December skew the whole winter to just below average ?

The mean was 2.3C according to the Met O. 0.5c below average.