Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

.Also, MetO now forecasting some spells of light snow for my location overnight tonight.

I think you might be looking at the forecast for Allanton in Berwickshire (on the north sea coast of the Borders) unfortunately. No ppn. forecast for Motherwell, Wishaw, Shotts, etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Should be snowing in East Lothian if radar is accurate?

It's not snowing this far into East Lothian yet! will keep you posted. Radar showing it can't be far off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

What's the outlook from the models for tomorrow?

Posted

I am supposed to be doing some work and i find myself again obsessed with the charts and when it might snow or if its snowing outside. What is happening lol! Good job my DH is working late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

no snow in Dundee with clear skies ,in for a cold night I think

Yes clear here with starry skies to the West. Some cloud to the East but don't think it is coming this way unfortunately.

Posted

I am supposed to be doing some work and i find myself again obsessed with the charts and when it might snow or if its snowing outside. What is happening lol! Good job my DH is working late.

haha you are required on look-out tonight - blow some our way svp

Posted

UKMO is simpy stunning tonight. Big bank at T96, if only it was reliable at that stage like the models usually are!

UN96-21.GIF?14-18

That is a very cold feed of fairly stong SE winds, not sure if the seatrack is too long to warm it up or short enough to allow awesome convection.

This would also place us in a very cold pool of air before the attack at T120, epic amounts of snow Sunday from that I would think.

ECM now supporting a wee bit better, reminds me of the GFS gradual move to the euro's a few days ago, high not quite so stong so a bit less cold air but another step in the right direction.

Big hats off to UKMO if this is right as the model has stuck to it like glue, even beyond the human experts override on last nights FAX.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Oooo. Radar. Incoming!

(just back fae the salt mines)

T = 1.0 C, DP = -0.5 C

EDIT

Gairden Halogen reporting snaw. smile.png

EDIT. Woo hoo - super fast snaw.

Wee kid dancing around here aw excited. His 5 yr daughter watching him fae the couch.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

UKMO is simpy stunning tonight. Big bank at T96, if only it was reliable at that stage like the models usually are!

UN96-21.GIF?14-18

That is a very cold feed of fairly stong SE winds, not sure if the seatrack is too long to warm it up or short enough to allow awesome convection.

This would also place us in a very cold pool of air before the attack at T120, epic amounts of snow Sunday from that I would think.

ECM now supporting a wee bit better, reminds me of the GFS gradual move to the euro's a few days ago, high not quite so stong so a bit less cold air but another step in the right direction.

Big hats off to UKMO if this is right as the model has stuck to it like glue, even beyond the human experts override on last nights FAX.

Where abouts would be hardest hit if this was to materialise?

Posted

Weatherpro (iPad app - sorry, don't know what source it uses) has just upgraded wintry ppn chances. Edinburgh 55% from 21:00. Dundee 40% from 21:00.

Posted

Light snow now on!!

Edit - it's off again

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I think that band might just scrape East Central Scotland before weakening. We might get a cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This is as 'mild' as the ECM gets:

ECH0-192.GIF?14-0

Then another easterly with sub -8C uppers:

ECH1-240.GIF?14-0

Really an outstanding run.

I think that band might just scrape East Central Scotland before weakening. We might get a cm.

I'd be watching that band of showers to the north that's rapidly heading southwards too - pincer movement!

Posted

Where abouts would be hardest hit if this was to materialise?

Initially East of country and particularly Fife, then on arrival of the low various fronts would sweep across the country bringing snow to most. Depending on initial cold pool east coast may be marginal but West should be better. If the low stalls against cold it could be repeated dumpings. LSS can probably correct me on details but that'sy view, just hope it comes off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

-0.3C here now, with a fairly healthy cover of snow still looking the part :)

Beautiful light as the sun set this evening too. I took a stroll up to East Lomond to snap this piccie:

8380412319_f310ca65b7_z.jpg

Posted

This is as 'mild' as the ECM gets:

ECH0-192.GIF?14-0

Then another easterly with sub -8C uppers:

ECH1-240.GIF?14-0

Really an outstanding run.

I'd be watching that band of showers to the north that's rapidly heading southwards too - pincer movement!

A super run! I have been impressed with the general trend of duration of cold (possibly snowy) weather being extended. Let's hope that trend continues. Just had a look at the radar and it seems that eastern parts might get a little snow - and as LS says the group of showers to the north could give some areas a covering. Not expecting anything here but I'm looking forward to a cold, frosty night - possibly the coldest of 2013 so far.

Posted

I think you might be looking at the forecast for Allanton in Berwickshire (on the north sea coast of the Borders) unfortunately. No ppn. forecast for Motherwell, Wishaw, Shotts, etc.

Nah it's shotts I go by because that's the closest to me that the MetO shows a forecast for. It has changed now though. A wee while ago it had forecast light snow for midnight and again for about 8-9am but like I said it has changed again and is now only forecasting light snow for 9am. I'm very doubtful that it will materialise though.

Posted

-0.3C here now, with a fairly healthy cover of snow still looking the part smile.png

Beautiful light as the sun set this evening too. I took a stroll up to East Lomond to snap this piccie:

8380412319_f310ca65b7_z.jpg

That's absolutely stunning! Only Scotland and winter can produce such a uniquely picturesque scene. My family on a hillside near Freuchie should have a first class view of the hill.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Soutra.

(Back gairden similar right now).

post-9421-0-86682600-1358190934_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Snowy Owl - Where about in East Lothian are you? Not seen anything in Prestonpans yet?

At the foothills of the Lammermuirs smile.png Just had a light flake or two and then it went off again lol Still watching....now with a cuppa in hand and the radar on!

Looking closer at the radar it looked like that splodge just clipped above musselburgh/pans area and went towards the lammermuirs. The next part of the band should have more promise.

Edited by snowy owl