Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 14/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Is that so? What model is the ARPEGE and where can one see it please?

On another note, the precip band looks to be pivoting over Northumbria at the moment. I wonder if this might bring some snow back west later this eve?

Cheers

It's a model that the UKMO use that's not available to the public, my post was pasting Ian Ferguson's from the model thread.

I have been watching that in the northeast, it looks to be heading our way however i am sure the pennines will kill it off.

Posted

It's a model that the UKMO use that's not available to the public, my post was pasting Ian Ferguson's from the model thread.

I have been watching that in the northeast, it looks to be heading our way however i am sure the pennines will kill it off.

yes that will be right

Posted

Diane the mild ramper talking about snow, you can tell it hurts her.

probably someone in the past has made her eat yellow snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just posted in the model thread;

14011312192270010170-1.pngYou see even those in the snowless west build up some snow coverage smile.png Although I think this is in the best case scenario and if all the undercutting happens and favourably so.

From an IMBY point of view I hope that it does verify.

Being in the vicinity of 34 cm of snow would do for me.

It's certainly a plausible outcome as the Atlantic tries to make inroads but TBH. I can't see it going out with a bang but rather with the whimper which seems to be the norm these days.

Posted

From an IMBY point of view I hope that it does verify.

Being in the vicinity of 34 cm of snow would do for me.

It's certainly a plausible outcome as the Atlantic tries to make inroads but TBH. I can't see it going out with a bang but rather with the whimper which seems to be the norm these days.

Now you see normally i would agree with you however it is the angle of attack from the models which makes me think this will be different.

I am trying not to ramp as yet but the only way i see us not getting snow this weekend is it going too far south for us, although this would most probably strengthen an easterly flow and entrench the cold even more for the next assault.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Now you see normally i would agree with you however it is the angle of attack from the models which makes me think this will be different.

I am trying not to ramp as yet but the only way i see us not getting snow this weekend is it going too far south for us, although this would most probably strengthen an easterly flow and entrench the cold even more for the next assault.

Yes it certainly seems to be heading towards an snowy period for someone, maybe a major dumping and we could just be in the firing line.

I just feel though that your thoughts on it going to far south to give us an invite to the snow party may turn out to be the correct call as, under a southerly tracking jet, low pressure systems tend to continuously edge further south.

On a more positive note though, we are entering a reliable time scale now so chances of a major backtrack are diminishing.

Hopefully it is our chance to be the centre of attention although I'm happy to share with others so long as they don't take the lions share.

Posted

It does look incredibly interesting, more models coming on board with the idea since UKMO did, which to be honest I dismissed. Still plenty of time to go, still in FI and still can change slightly to not bring anything.

After being disappointed at yesterday's showing its something that i'll watch feverishly, but contain the excitement until its here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Lol ireland is getting a soaking from rain on wednesday. While were gonna get snow on Thursday evening I think. if its rain in wales then it is game over. It probably will anyway.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Lightning here! 2 flashes and deep thunder south of me. Beefy hail shower!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Well ive just seen one cloud rolling along the nights starry sky!! Lol

Posted

Yes it certainly seems to be heading towards an snowy period for someone, maybe a major dumping and we could just be in the firing line.

I just feel though that your thoughts on it going to far south to give us an invite to the snow party may turn out to be the correct call as, under a southerly tracking jet, low pressure systems tend to continuously edge further south.

On a more positive note though, we are entering a reliable time scale now so chances of a major backtrack are diminishing.

Hopefully it is our chance to be the centre of attention although I'm happy to share with others so long as they don't take the lions share.

I have seen this many times over the years however not usually from this angle. The attack usually comes from the South West and as it gets nearer to the block it tends to go further south rather than hit it head on., This angle feels more favourable as it is already being modelled to avoid the block which leads it straight over us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lol ireland is getting a soaking from rain on wednesday. While were gonna get snow on Thursday evening I think. if its rain in wales then it is game over. It probably will anyway.

That post made no sense mate, lol. If you look on the GFS/ECM you'll see the boundary line between the -5/-6C 850hpa upper temperatures. The line is clearly over eastern Wales, so it's likely they'll get rain anyway. Just because it rains in one place close, it certainly doesn't mean it'll be game over here.

As we saw last night, 5-10 miles can make a massive difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold please!

4afc95aa5558c165b25926ebe8de49e6.png

Any chance of this making its way across the Pennines?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Is there much chance of snow for the Isle of Man for the coming days?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

This is the band that gave us heavy rain over Holland now.. insane..

http://www.webcamvlissingen.nl/

Posted

Was looking at that earlier, wouldn't trust the forecast on that radar though, It just moves it on.... it'll probably fizzle out as soon as it hits the Pennines. Not much tends to make it across.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold please!

Was looking at that earlier, wouldn't trust the forecast on that radar though, It just moves it on.... it'll probably fizzle out as soon as it hits the Pennines. Not much tends to make it across.

Ah damn, I'm trying to remember some dates where we have gotten significant accumulations from systems coming from the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

This is the band that gave us heavy rain over Holland now.. insane..

http://www.webcamvlissingen.nl/

this gives me memories when I travel on a ship to Sweden and It was exactly like this at sea. So happy memories. Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Ah damn, I'm trying to remember some dates where we have gotten significant accumulations from systems coming from the east.

There needs to be a stronger wind to get them across with anything of note left.

Posted

perhaps november 30th 2010 maybe?

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

I don't know where the radar gets that from, it's quite fragmented in the east now. To have that stuff over Wales here could have been fun though!

Definitely looks like it'll be later on this week for anything possibly substantial.

Posted

tbh I think it may bring just a light snow flurry or two just make it across tonight. If the winds are strong enough. other words not really a big deal. Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Not many occasions where an easterly has given substantial and widespread snow to the NW region.

Late Nov/ early Dec 2010 gave us some snow, before that we,re probably looking back to the 1990's.

I can do well from an easterly due to sitting on the edge of the Pennines and as far eastwards as is possible in our region.

Altitude is also on my side but even with all of this it still takes a potent feed or troughs to give anything more than a covering.