Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

The Met Office have just updated their text forecast...

This Evening and Tonight:

Snow will clear away southwards. As clear periods develop a widespread frost will develop, along with ice on untreated surfaces. Later scattered snow showers will arrive, mainly towards the coast. Minimum Temperature -4 °C.

Tuesday:

Lincolnshire will have occasional snow showers, some also heavy and so giving further local accumulations, especially near the coast. Elsewhere sunny spells and occasional light snow showers. Cold everywhere. Maximum Temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Remaining cold, with hard overnight frosts and ice on untreated surfaces. Scattered wintry showers will continue, especially Wednesday across Lincolnshire. Generally the showers will become lighter.

Issued at: 1600 on Mon 14 Jan 2013

As I thought, for most of us the best we can expect is a few rogue showers in the next few days.

Cold and dry is still better than what we've had this winter up to now, so I'm not complaining.

Hopefully the weekend will deliver.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

Cant really grumble after what we have had today though, certainly where I live in Nottingham aside the last 10 mins everything that fell was snow, with several hours of heavy snow. The sun did finally arrive but thankfully late enough in the day to not cause any real damage, plenty of snow still on pavements, gardens etc which will now freeze so should have cover now until the weekend with the colder tempertures predicted. We are also well placed as its stand for the next snow event at weekend although the odd snow shower would be nice LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Hefty showers moving SE... but I think they'll just clip this area sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

In Belper town centre there is very little on the ground but that is to be expected considering traffic/people/buildings etc. You only have to walk a very little way out of town though and everything is white with a decent blanket of snow. I have been up onto the Chevin and there must be 5-7cm up there with some very picturesque views - pictures to follow.

Was some very heavy snow this morning and around lunchtime, but there has been some thawing this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Pictures from today:

The snow departing and the sun poking out:

post-2719-0-19749200-1358180775_thumb.jp

A couple of views from the Chevin:

post-2719-0-25111400-1358180816_thumb.jp

post-2719-0-19132800-1358180836_thumb.jp

A picturesque little village called Farnah Green just outside Belper:

post-2719-0-87977800-1358180853_thumb.jp

Looking down onto Belper from the Chevin:

post-2719-0-63701400-1358180871_thumb.jp

post-2719-0-59869900-1358181095_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

The roads will be treacherous later...frozen slushunsure.png

Posted

Looks like any streamers will fizzle out or drop to our south this evening.

The garden wall lost 1cm in the thaw, but that's still 4.5cm lying now. Its started to ice up now as well.

Posted

To be honest, I've been quite disappointed by this event. Nice to see some snow of course, but it's the ultra slushy stuff and not a lot of it. I dunno what it's going to take to get a substantial fall here again, even 3 inches seems a big ask nowadays. :(

Posted

Some rogue streamers may reach Leicestershire, but missing Notts completely. You can tell the streamers are coming in by how much the West Midlands thread has picked up, but this one has ground to a halt. biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

I'm not sure where I belong really...I'm technically in the east mids as I'm in northamptonshire, but I'm on the western extent which means my weather is rarely relevant to you lot further eastblum.gif

Anyway, was quite happy today - got about 5cm and it's at least staying around on the grass

Edited by weatherguy

Posted

We had a covering this morning, only about 2cm. The usual settling spots, like the grass probably had a maximum of about 6-7cm before the snow stopped about 3.30pm. Only towards the outskirts of town and in the sticks was there good settling on the road. It did settle on the paths in town, but only slush on the roads. Around where where my son is at nursery out in the sticks of North Beds, looked like more. The moment it stopped a healthy thaw kicked in - most pavements etc - temperature actually got up to 1.5C at 4.30pm. Now on the slide, and interested by these showers coming in from the NW. A big surprise - with the temporary dew point rise and now a rapid decline expect these to be of snow. But whatever happens, ice is going to be dreadful. Just bought a few bags of rock salt.

Posted

0 posts in an hour here. This is why west/east mids as to seperate threads is not a good idea.

Posted

0 posts in an hour here. This is why west/east mids as to seperate threads is not a good idea.

They are a good idea, especially for days like today.

The conditions between the two regions are entirely different, focusing on completely different areas of interest. East/Weds similarity has no common ground over the next 12 hours or so. A brief read of the West Mids threads confirms to me that none of the posts have any relevance for us guys in the East.

0 posts within an hour is better than several posts that aren't at all relevant to our locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

What happened guys? Did a few people get jealous that the East Midlands was seeing snow and started wanting a West Midlands only thread? laugh.png

Lol.

(Ironically, I don't know which thread to reply to this in!)

Posted

Those pesky showers that have been coming down from the North west have been a pain!! rain-snow-rain. snow gone from pavements, falling of cars, etc.

Posted

Pivot in full swing now, hopeful to catch a little more from this front within the next few hours. Not expecting it to be particularly lengthy in nature, but with in excess of 6-7cms of lying snow already - it would be a great bonus if it swings back inland just enough.

No, the split between East & West Mids has been good. I couldn't care less what's happening in Telford/Shrewsbury - it's over an hour away

Exactly this. People shouldn't make the mistake of assuming an active thread with irrelevant posts is better than a quieter one with relevancy in each post.