Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Could anyone answer this please, in my location (small village near ashby de la zouch) I am probably 5miles outside of the amber zone, but bang in the middle of the yellow zone, however I only have light snow forecast tomorrow and Saturday with not a period of heavy snow, so if I get 10cm is it going to built up over 48 hours?

Nobody can answer that for you.

The snowfall totals should be taken as rough guidelines only- this really is a case of radar watching from here on in. Enjoy the ride!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Could anyone answer this please, in my location (small village near ashby de la zouch) I am probably 5miles outside of the amber zone, but bang in the middle of the yellow zone, however I only have light snow forecast tomorrow and Saturday with not a period of heavy snow, so if I get 10cm is it going to built up over 48 hours?

I live about 5 miles outside the Amber zone too. I expect 5-10cm tomorrow alone, but then more snow is forecast for tomorrow night and Saturday which could then top us up further. As I said earlier, I am expecting the Met Office to extend there Amber warnings east tomorrow once the snow sets in.

Posted

Me too. 7-8cm of snow here from this event if the NAE is correct. I'd happily take that as I was thinking more along the lines of 3-4cm yesterday.

Anyway, I guess we're at the point now where it's time to ditch the models and move on to radars etc. It's not as if the models nailed today anyway so expect the unexpected !

Posted

Me too. 7-8cm of snow here from this event if the NAE is correct. I'd happily take that as I was thinking more along the lines of 3-4cm yesterday.

Anyway, I guess we're at the point now where it's time to ditch the models and move on to radars etc. It's not as if the models nailed today anyway so expect the unexpected !

Snowking on the East anglia thread mentioned that dp's will be very low and snow will be dry, therefore it could top up the snow levels. something to do with ratios.

Posted

Finally have some light snow in Rushden. Was snowing moderately in Northampton when I left the dentists at 6.30pm, so its taken 4 hours to travel 13 miles east. Only have the leftover snow from Monday on the grass really.

When the Met mention snow amounts, they are only talking about Friday at the minute. Given that the snow risk extends for most of Saturday, with the further potential on Sunday, overall amounts could be high.

Thank crunchy its Friday, and i've got some time owing - so i'm legging it at lunchtime and taking my son out of nursery (which is out in the sticks) early!!!

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

i haven't subscribed to the radar site. can those who have please keep us outsiders informed? thank you

£3.49? Versus... raintoday/meteoradar? I`ll keep me ten fags guys!!!

Edited by echobase

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just watched east mids weather and they stated by the time the main band reaches us it will be light and patchy, also there seemed to be a split/void from Coventry to Leicester with very little snow, this was also on the main bbc 1 forecast.

The reason for my earlier question is that we have had 6 hours of light snow tonight which has not amounted to much, especially on the roads my concern is that we could have 50 hours of continuos light snow, with little to show for it, due to it being blown around, compacted etc.

this is not a moan, just want to understand what we could be looking at. having said all that based on tonight we don't really know what we can expect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Just watched east mids weather and they stated by the time the main band reaches us it will be light and patchy, also there seemed to be a split/void from Coventry to Leicester with very little snow, this was also on the main bbc 1 forecast.

The reason for my earlier question is that we have had 6 hours of light snow tonight which has not amounted to much, especially on the roads my concern is that we could have 50 hours of continuos light snow, with little to show for it, due to it being blown around, compacted etc.

this is not a moan, just want to understand what we could be looking at. having said all that based on tonight we don't really know what we can expect.

To be honest, this is a possible outcome to tomorrow. But bare in mind it would only take the models to be off by 25 to 50 miles to really change the outcome.

Posted

£3.49? Versus... raintoday/meteoradar? I`ll keep me ten fags guys!!!

The idea would be that your happy to contribute £3.49 to help fund a communities running costs that you actively partake in.

Edited by Polar Low

i still believe we will get some significant snowfall tomorrow , i think the dividing line will be cambridgeshire. To the east of that the snow showers will fragment , but there is still a possibility of upto 2cm of snow for eastern areas, Its now a case of waking up early and checking the radar to see how quickly the front is moving through, We also must remember that there is plenty more snow forecast for the next 3 days. We could end up with 10 cm of snow in places. Waxing the runners on my trusty old sledge in anticipation of some weekend fun on the slopes.rofl.gif

Posted

The idea would be that your happy to contribute £3.49 to help fund a communities running that you actively take part in.

Free world kid, the web has thousand radars, and I not spending a penny for 4 glorious days a year! I`m here, as it is free. If they want to charge, I will research on my own and in situations such as this, look out my window.

Posted

Free world kid, the web has thousand radars, and I not spending a penny for 4 glorious days a year! I`m here, as it is free. If they want to charge, I will research on my own and in situations such as this, look out my window.

Good for you.

Begs the question then, why even mention it in the first place? :)

Posted

Good for you.

Begs the question then, why even mention it in the first place? smile.png

Commenting on a post PL? So sorry to offend?

snapback.pngsnow freak, on 17 January 2013 - 22:07 , said:

i haven't subscribed to the radar site. can those who have please keep us outsiders informed? thank you

Edited by echobase

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yeah but they are all poor compared with the features and resolution of NW radar, well worth the small fee!

Posted

well still looking good here, SM got it right really been 5 to 7 cms tonight, still snowing steady, not heavy, not moderate, but nor really to light because the flakes are a good size if you know what i mean, espeially beacuse was not expecting anything tonight. Looks like NAE and other models show a good chance of heavy stuff tommorow, I am just 3 to 5 miles from meto orange warnings, so could be amything from 5 to 20cms really. Anyway still lookinmg good over next 72 hours, no real thaw and plenty of chances for snow.

drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well we have had light snow all night and its probably deposited around 5cm away from the main road (there is nothing on the road). Its still snowing very lightly now but I doubt it will be depositing anymore. Not sure what the higher parts have had overnight, I will know soon though as I am driving across them to get to work.

Not sure about today, much like yesterday morning it is not looking as promising. The met office forecast now says most of the snow remaining light and the bbc graphics don't show much snow for us. The timing is also in question with everything from 12noon to 6pm being thrown at us for the snow to start (across the model suite).

I still expect about 5-10cm of additional snow by tomorrow morning - so that will mean over 15cm for some that already have a decent blanket on the ground. In Belper town centre I cannot see the snow being heavy enough to settle on busy roads and pavements, but I won't have to walk far to be in a winter wonderland. I don't envisage the snow to be that disruptive here though as the rate of snow probably not that heavy.

EDIT: Disruption still likely over the higher level routes.

Edited by Supacell