Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Och well, chaps - that's the sun coming out...Snow? What snow!rofl.gif

Posted

Heavier snowfall predicted around large parts of UK

Parts of England and Wales have seen light snow overnight, as forecasters warn a second, heavier, band will fall across large areas of the UK later. The Met Office has issued an amber "be prepared" warning for snow disruption in north-east England, Yorkshire and Humber, and the East Midlands. The heaviest overnight snowfall was 1in (3cm) in Nottingham and the Pennines.

Parts of Scotland, which already experienced snowy scenes on Sunday, can expect to see more snow on Monday. It marks the start of what forecasters are predicting will be a bitterly cold week. Temperatures are expected to drop to around -10C across rural Scotland on Monday night and possibly as low as -4C or minus -5C across other parts of northern and eastern England.

During Sunday, snow fell in many parts of northern and central England, as well as in eastern Wales - although there has been little travel disruption early on Monday, despite warnings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21004656

Posted

Morning everyone - watching the radar in anticipation. Over in the Midlands thread, It's just started snowing in Northampton, which is to the west if me, so shouldn't be long before it gets to me here in west Cambs. Looking at the radar, I reckon the first band will hit within the hour. Might just get it before Peterborough.

Posted

What time does the wrap around happen that could cause more precip? Im going to miss the snow, as Im going on a trip to Hampshire, not back till about 7! Will it still be snowing then?

Edited by WheresTheSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Here is my very simple map illustrating the wraparound that's modelled from that front.

A wraparound is simply when an area of precipitation literally wraps around the centre of the low pressure. Anywhere within that black box may see the effect of it.

You can go off people you know PS ....yesterday you split my house in two with a line front to back and today you have squashed it flat with your black box....the only wrap around you will get is my hand round your ear if you keep this up blum.gif

The gritting lorry has just gone up the main road here (not my little bit we don’t get done thankfully) which must surely mean they are expecting more snow (not rain)

So far so good…

Snow cover here is not melting, cloudy,Temperature -0.2 °C Dew Point -1.2 °C

And the next band seems to be turning to snow …..

post-10773-0-78126900-1358158440.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

What time does the wrap around happen that could cause more precip? Im going to miss the snow, as Im going on a trip to Hampshire, not back till about 7! Will it still be snowing then?

The wraparound is due to hit anywhere between 9pm-3am (quite a broad timeframe). Moisture coming off the North Sea will interact with the system moving SSE causing the formation of precipitation to curl around the centre of the low pressure.

Posted

Britain wakes up to snow with more to come

Fears of overnight travel disruption prove unfounded but heavier snow expected in central and eastern England

Heavier snow is expected during the day on Monday in central and eastern England after an initial fall overnight proved less disruptive than expected. Some high-level roads were closed in Scotland and the Pennines but there has been little disruption to transport so far, other than airport warnings for travellers to allow extra time for their journeys.

Leeds Bradford airport, whose exposed site at Yeadon is one of the highest points locally, posted a notice of possible disruption in the early hours but removed the warning from its website at 7am, when commuter flights left as normal. Manchester airport advised travellers to make regular checks online. The Meteorological Office has raised its cold weather action status to grade three, one below a national emergency, to alert care and health agencies and neighbours to the likelihood of elderly and vulnerable people needing help. Forecasts suggest the long-delayed winter weather is setting in for several weeks after the wet but mild conditions since mid-December.

Chris Wellings, the head of UK policy at Save the Children, said: "The poorest families will struggle to cope with this cold snap. Parents on low incomes are already having difficulty affording even basic essentials such as warm winter clothing and a hot meal every day for their children as living costs continue to rise. "As temperatures plummet many simply don't have the money to heat their homes. The government must ensure that the poorest families can afford to keep warm."

Snowfalls could reach 10cm (4ins) in parts of Lincolnshire and the north-east of England, and the Met Office said: "This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services." The forecast suggests further but more modest snowfalls during the rest of the week, which will also see prolonged cold but sunny spells.

The pattern of conflicting cold and milder Atlantic fronts is complicated and the Met Office said: "There remains some uncertainty in the details throughout this period. However, on the whole it should remain on the cold and settled side across many parts of the United Kingdom, with a good deal of dry and frosty weather, especially for central and eastern areas. "There will also be some sleet and snow on occasions, with central and eastern areas most likely to be at risk. Also there will be an ongoing risk of icy stretches overnight, and freezing fog may also be an issue during the cold and clearer nights, which may be slow to clear by day. Some milder conditions and more persistent rain and hill snow may spread into western areas on occasions from next weekend onwards."

Nick Prebble, a forecaster with MeteoGroup, said snow was unlikely to exceed 5cms (2ins) in most of England, with temperatures reaching 8C (46F) in the west of England and Wales. Scotland is expected to get a "light dusting" on top of lying snow that fell over the weekend. Overnight temperatures are likely to fall to -8C (17.6F) degrees by Wednesday night. Snow is expected to turn into rainfall in western and southern areas and eight flood warnings are in place, six in the south-west, and 53 flood alerts, 28 in the south-east and 19 in the south-west. The AA has organised extra patrols to deal with an estimated 56,000 breakdowns, based on a survey that suggests three-quarters of drivers have been lulled into a false sense of security by the long mild spell.

The Highways Agency has declared an amber, or second level, alert but is more bullish than for years about snow and ice preparations, with 500 "state-of-the-art winter vehicles" ready to go into action. A spokesman said: "We have reviewed salt stock levels and taken action where needed to enhance our resilience and we have again established a reserve salt stock to help ensure that there is enough salt to deal with severe winter. "Our roads will be treated whenever there is a risk of ice or snow. However, even when roads have been treated, drivers should still take care, especially on stretches where the local road layout or landscape means there could be a greater risk of ice forming. Road users across England are also advised to check the latest weather forecast and road conditions before they travel."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/14/snow-uk-weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Here is my very simple map illustrating the wraparound that's modelled from that front.

A wraparound is simply when an area of precipitation literally wraps around the centre of the low pressure. Anywhere within that black box may see the effect of it.

i hope so !feeling a bit deflated,or maybe i am tired lol x

i still look at that band coming across and think ....is that it???

Posted

Word of warning using the precip-type radar today

It doesn't actually detect what is falling from the sky, it merely colours the observed precipitation based around recent model data....i'm going to take a guess that the NW Radar is programmed using the NMM?

So, I would expect the precip type radar to start showing sleet as we move through the afternoon, despite the fact it may actually be falling as snow.

Unless i'm wide of the mark and Paul has got it set via current observed conditions?

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Remember it's due to slow down a lot as well :)

Posted

The wraparound is due to hit anywhere between 9pm-3am (quite a broad timeframe). Moisture

coming off the North Sea will interact with the system moving SSE causing the formation of

precipitation to curl around the centre of the low pressure.

Nice! I thought I was going to miss the whole event. Maybe I will see some snow falling :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. Cold Frosty/Snow

Just started to snow again in MK (Linford Wood - Work ) Light small flakes at the moment nothing too substantial.... yet :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers and cold winters

Blue skies, temp is 2.3 and the dew point is 0.4. I shan't hold my breath :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Just started to snow again in MK (Linford Wood - Work ) Light small flakes at the moment nothing too substantial.... yet biggrin.png

Same here in MK7 - getting heavier though good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Same here in MK7 - getting heavier though good.gif

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Posted

And in MK17 too. Starting to gain in intensity and settling. Bit earlier than expected and the main band still to come

Posted

Temps:

Rdtlmett.gif

Dewpoints:

Rdtlmetd.gif