Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Decent little covering in parts here this morning, cm or two. Am I still confident about our hopes this afternoon? Yes.

Certainly more optimism from the NAE....and even slightly better from the NMM (though given its GFS initialisation data, I am still sceptical of the story of sleet it paints)

13011418_2_1400.gif13011500_2_1400.gif

SK

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

A nice covering here in Stevenage. Knew it was going to be there after some peeking out the curtains a few hours ago when I woke briefly lol. Still a lovely surprise though.

Help though please as I need an expert on this. Forecasts and people are saying about the next band yet it is showing about 90%

rain on the NW radar. Is that likely to change as it meets colder air?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Steady snow in Waltham abbey decent covering. Side roads covered main roads partly covered

Posted

Interesting that the BBC forecast on breakfast also agrees with snow for almost all of the region (London and northwards) Looks like we're all finally reaching agreement at this late stage!

Edited by saint

Posted

Certainly more optimism from the NAE....and even slightly better from the NMM (though given its GFS initialisation data, I am still sceptical of the story of sleet it paints)

SK

SK

Snowking, am I right in thinking that the second band of snow is expected to pass through the region from about lunchtime through the afternoon, before moving back over East Anglia for a second time this evening/night? Is this due to the LP to the south east? Edited by Hughsey

Posted

Hmmm. Confused here in WGC. Light dusting now. BBC forecast showing rain later and finished by 6pm, too far south? What's the concensus of opinion on here for this bit of Herts?

I'd suggest it'll be all snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

can someone post the latest bar charts on a tablet don't have it booked marked.:D

never mind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Not a sausage here this morning; can even see the sun rising through breaks in the cloud! Looks like this first band is a busted flush for us near the coast; hoping for something better later!

Posted

Snowking, am I right in thinking that the second band of snow is expected to pass through the region from about lunchtime through the afternoon, before moving back over East Anglia for a second time this evening/night? Is this due to the LP to the south east?

Hi Hughsey,

Yep essentially whats happening is that as the low pressure system slides SSE (bringing the frontal system through this region through the afternoon...):

This afternoon's frontal system is seen just to the NW of Scotland/N Ireland

fax0s.gif?13-0

The front wraps back around the top of the low pressure system:

fax24s.gif?13-0

Which introduces a secondary period of snowfall Across S Lincs/East Anglia/SE England (possibly into London too) so even if some areas do end up with rain and sleet initially, this wrap around from the front should bring another spell of snow through the evening

Its this sting in the tail that I feel may produce amounts upwards of 5cms

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

i think it will all be snow....so does the bbc and surprisingly the itv have now joined in with that thought on the latest forecast despite earlier saying it would be rain

Posted

Wow woke up to 2cm of snow here which is more than I was expecting.

Little change from the NAE with the greatest snowfall amounts being predicted for the N of this region. What I did notice is a band of snow showers will move into this region during the afternoon and could be heavy across N Norfolk especially NW Norfolk.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Got up at 4am, outside looked like a moderate frost so didn't bother exploring further, woke again at 6.40 and there must be 2-3cms outside, will go and check in a min.

Starter - check

Main - early pm??

Posted

Thanks for a great answer SK :). It's all certainly going to make for an interesting day of weather.

@MarcB the band seems to be moving fairly quickly, I would guess between 12 and 2 for it to reach our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

@MarcB the band seems to be moving fairly quickly, I would guess between 12 and 2 for it to reach our region.

Think I'm gonna have a half day today, its just a shame the kids are all grown up now, the new neighbours are gonna think i'm bonkers dancing around in the garden building snowmen!!

Posted

I forgot to mention that looking at precip totals locations in the N/NW of this region could be looking at around 10-13cm of snowfall tonight, 5-7cm elsewhere.

http://expert-images...011500_1400.gif

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

I forgot to mention that looking at precip totals locations in the N/NW of this region could be looking at around 10-13cm of snowfall tonight, 5-7cm elsewhere.

Will those high levels in the N/NW continue to wrap around into North Norfolk??

Posted

Nice, makes a change to be in the line of the heavier snow. . . . just finished a night shift so will do my best to stay awake for as much of the snow as I can

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

Nice, makes a change to be in the line of the heavier snow. . . . just finished a night shift so will do my best to stay awake for as much of the snow as I can

get some sleep....main snow coming after lunch I believe :)

Posted

Wow, dare I say it TEITS, Peterborough should get a lot of snow later today :).