Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 18Z 13/1/13 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Matt Hugo

Support for the block is there and the ensembles are quite cold overall into next week, away from Ireland.

https://twitter.com/MattHugo81

ECM 12z Full Ensemble

15DAAGSE_06260_NWT.png?6767676767

Away from Ireland can you please explain?

Posted

Please could you help me out here guys but what is a slider low? Thanks in advance

I think it is a low pressure system, that manages to slip past the block of high pressure, following the jet stream, and as it passes causes a snowy problem, if things are cold enough! Probably wrong lol, but this what my understanding is, please correct me if im wrong :-)

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

I think it is a low pressure system, that manages to slip past the block of high pressure, following the jet stream, and as it passes causes a snowy problem, if things are cold enough! Probably wrong lol, but this what my understanding is, please correct me if im wrong :-)

Yes, it slips underneath the block of high pressure and usually results in easterly winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thanks for the explanations there, guys...good.gif Can we get back to the models now, please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Please could you help me out here guys but what is a slider low? Thanks in advance

Here on the T120 UKMO chart see the low pressure sliding across the SW of England and into France- under the Scandinavian block.

npsh500.120.png

You can see where the term slider comes from -sometimes called an undercut too.

It`s where the energy from the jet stream goes south east below high pressure to our north this generally keeps the UK on the cold side of things .

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Thanks for the explanations there, guys...good.gif Can we get back to the models now, please?

I wonder will that low pressure south of Iceland at+96 that was on ecm, be there on 18z gfs?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Can I just say , Iv looked at the new nae , tomorrow now has a max temp for England of 1c , it has at its warmest -4 850's , and dew points at 1c , surely that will be snow in heavy ppn?? Definitely on any high ground I would of thought??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This is what a slider low does, it undercuts the cold block and sucks even colder air from eastern europe across the uk, the ukmo 12z is a perfect example of what is still possible by the end of this week. It would bring widespread blizzards across the uk with severe drifting, it's something to think about as a probable outcome of the sudden stratospheric warming and could bring a severe spell of wintry weather to the uk in the coming weeks.

post-4783-0-11284000-1358112615_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Big downgrade regarding tonights snowfall, at just 6h in ohmy.png

gfs-2-6.png?18

Depends what your looking at

Snow risk further west, lower temps, lower dew points, very slight movement in temps makes the difference between sleet or snow , the 1800hrs tmoz is showing snow over the midlands widely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Atlantic already further east in this run compared to the 12z, but lets see how it plays out.

Probably a little early to confirm IMO, and its extremely marginal

Posted

Snow risk further west, lower temps, lower dew points, very slight movement in temps makes the difference between sleet or snow , the 1800hrs tmoz is showing snow over the midlands widely.

What I meant is, the band currently over northern england on that chart is a lot smaller and decaying more rapidly than on the 12z run, therefore it is less good.

You say it's further west, but doesn't matter how far west it is if the precipitation amounts are going to be trivial..

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Big downgrade regarding tonights snowfall, at just 6h in ohmy.png

gfs-2-6.png?18

I would take that any day.

Gives time for temps too drop as its west.

Posted

A risk of heavy snow in the south west wednesday if this chart is to be believed!

Rtavn604.png

I would take that any day.

Gives time for temps too drop as its west.

Look at the next frame though, will it actually arrive..? laugh.png

gfs-2-6-3h.png?18

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

That's right, it depends on your view. For us in the west, that's an upgrade - the snow has shifted west.

Posted

Note the difference to our west at T66hrs GFS 18z

gfs-0-66.png?18?18

UKM 12z 72hrs

UW72-21.GIF?13-18

Massive repurcussions down the line.

Now the 18z GFS is not a model i pay too much heed to, but it would be nice to have it on board.

The 0z will be crucial lets hope UKM can hold steadfast.

18z would still give me a few inches by Wednesday morning.