Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Three Counties Regional Discussion

Team Jo

Posted

could someone explain why so many people say "ignore the BBC's forecast" when if you consider that is probably one of the main sources of weather information for a majority of the UK....wouldn't you expect that to be one of the most accurate?

I think because it changes so much, they are not very consistent during cold spells with projected paths for snowfall - this proves how difficult it is to predict snow.

Even when the BBC forecast comes on with family in the house (non weather enthusiasts) I've had them saying to me, didn't that forecast show different this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

East of England

Days 1 to 5

• Regional forecast
    Day 1 to 5
  • UK forecast
    Day 1 to 5
  • UK forecast
    Day 6 to 30

Headline:

Bright but very cold. Wintry showers in Norfolk.

Today:

Some bright or sunny spells but staying cold after a widespread frost early on, and with some wintry showers likely, particularly across parts of Norfolk. Maximum Temperature 2 °C.

Tonight:

Staying very cold. Gradually clouding over with snow spreading from the northwest to all parts. This will lead to some accumulations, especially later, also some very icy conditions. Minimum Temperature -3 °C.

Monday:

Cloudy and very cold, the early snow clearing for a time, but then further snow arriving during the afternoon. Some accumulations and remaining icy in places. Maximum Temperature 1 °C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Tuesday, very cold, bright or sunny intervals and snow showers, some possibly heavy near coasts. Wednesday and Thursday, very cold with a biting northeasterly wind and heavy snow showers.

Issued at: 0400 on Sun 13 Jan 2013

Meto appear to have some snow for tonight, but the main snow event will be Wed into Thursday smile.png

Edited by TheBigFreeze

Posted

06z nae has 5 to 11 mm total precip across the region by 06z tues. only 1mm from the initial front. wonder where the settling line will be?

1mm? That's nothing isn't it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Hey, I just brought a BMW as well, 3 series M Sport with runflat tyres. If it does snow, I won't be taking it out as I've heard they are useless on snow and ice. Especially with those annoying runflats.

The dealer keeps contacting me for winter tyres, but I turned down as to expensive for only 1 snow event of winter...

With regards to tomorrow I recon everyone north of London shouldn't worry, as most ppn should stay as snow, so that's our region covered anyway :-)

The same as me! 330d MSport.....great in the dry....a bit twitchy bottom in the wet.....probably awful in the snow....but we shall see.

To be honest no single forecast will get it spot on. Local conditions can vary so much. The number of times I have seen snow here and rain/sleet 3 miles up the road! It will be very much a case of nowcasting......the most exciting it can get for a weather fan!

Posted

As much as I love snow...i'm in two minds as to how much I want, I have a small holding about 10 miles from my home, all the roads are winding back roads in an area that acts like a snow trap when we see snow, could make it very difficult getting there to feed the animals :(

actually stuff it....give me snowmageddon and i'll borrow the father-in-laws 4x4 :)

1mm? That's nothing isn't it?

isn't 1mm of precipitation = to 1cm of snow??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Just seen outside.....it's snowing here (between Debenham and Framlingham)......wasn't expecting that!

Posted

Its going to be very messy here monday rain sleet and snow,going to be a lot of nowcasting,Think i will do better later in week with snow showers on the north east wind,Think the rainfall radar site in north kent not working at times as was out most of saturday????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Update from JB. Joe laminate floori

Coldmeggedon in Europe! left day 1-5 temps, middle 6-10 rt major snowfalls much of continent including UK!

Joe laminate floori

Brutal in Europe.. Deep snows and wicked cold taking over England, Italy hardest hit relative to normal

BAdtIMrCcAEW3h7.jpg

Edited by Jason T

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Squeaky bum time for me!

Too many charts showing some north eastern parts of norfolk missing out initially.

May have to rely on the second band Tuesday and convection.

Having said that, the distanes between snow and "no" are tiny in weather terms, so radar and lamppost may be the best guide.

Posted

I'm 50/50 about tomorrow. Hopefully Epping just about holds on to the ppn being all snow.

We usually do quite well here, can be heavy snow fall here and once you get heading towards east London direction it can be just rain.

Posted

gah i envy you folk over there. we're all tearing our hair out at the possibility of a pesky mild sector turning most of the precip to sleet or rain. think telford will be way too far west for anything fun!

Posted

The same as me! 330d MSport.....great in the dry....a bit twitchy bottom in the wet.....probably awful in the snow....but we shall see.

I took my car on a wet handling day at Rockingham a couple of months ago, great fun but convinced me NOT to go out in a rear wheel drive car with wide tyres and 400+bhp in the snow! I'll stick with the C1 or Disco if we get too much. Or the E30 :)

Cold, little bit of an air frost here today; nice clear skys first thing but some light cloud around now.

Posted

Please all read Gibbys summary for today as it will give you a good indication of what to expect:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Morning all

Latest NAE showing the best chance of snow for all of us is later tomorrow (particularly evening time) when Norfolk, Cambs and Suffolk should all see some decent falls. Essex should get some too, but the further south you are in the region, the bigger chance of seeing some sleetiness involved.

However, these forecasts are just that, and it will be a case of following radars etc tomorrow to see how it all pans out.post-4908-0-09872900-1358068969_thumb.gi

Posted

just watched the live BBC forecast on the Andrew Marr show and........BBC all is forgiven lol, it showed a little snow possibly overnight, but the whole of east anglia is in a white out from 12 p.m onward :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I shal be riding a bicycle home...

Be very careful, they are rear wheel drive after all, you know. wink.png

Morning All (or to half the number of people as showing yesterday!tongue.png )

Anyway, it looks like the event tomorrow may be knife edge marginal for me, with snow possibly turning to sleet for a while. I'm not fussed, from an IMBY perspective, as it looks like there might be a few days of snow showers from the North Sea afterwards, which is the kind of set up I look for anyway.

Posted

Good morning everyone in our regional thread.

Currently 0.4c here and grey. Looking forward to what the week ahead brings us.

Have a very good day everyone. :)

Posted

Be very careful, they are rear wheel drive after all, you know. wink.png

Morning All (or to half the number of people as showing yesterday!tongue.png )

Anyway, it looks like the event tomorrow may be knife edge marginal for me, with snow possibly turning to sleet for a while. I'm not fussed, from an IMBY perspective, as it looks like there might be a few days of snow showers from the North Sea afterwards, which is the kind of set up I look for anyway.

Agree with that; lows dropping down from the North often have warmer sectors involved which makes things marginal at times, but a good cold Easterly comes with no such problems!

Posted

img0378qm.jpg

The region is covered from about 11 a.m, this would possibly be falling on top of slight accumulations from the 1st front which weakens as it passes us :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

I took my car on a wet handling day at Rockingham a couple of months ago, great fun but convinced me NOT to go out in a rear wheel drive car with wide tyres and 400+bhp in the snow! I'll stick with the C1 or Disco if we get too much. Or the E30 smile.png

Cold, little bit of an air frost here today; nice clear skys first thing but some light cloud around now.

400+ bhp!,what are you drivinggood.gif

Posted

Matt Taylor just now on news24:

"Southern England and The west will see very little snow over the next few days"

He kept mentioning southern counties just seeing rain. Does not look good for southern parts if this region including me.

Looks like my best chance is Wednesday in Essex with possible heavy snow showers

Posted

img0378qm.jpg

The region is covered from about 11 a.m, this would possibly be falling on top of slight accumulations from the 1st front which weakens as it passes us smile.png

Seems to be in place slightly earlier than the NAE forecast, which suggests that the evening is the most likely time. However, as long as it snows, that's all that matters!

Although I hope the BBC are right; it would be nice to see it snow during daylight hours!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin fellow East Anglians. :) according to the last run, we can expect snow in our area around 06:00 in the morning. (Monday) So we shall see.

Have a good and safe day everyone. :)

Lol. As I type my nephew is vacuuming the Slobrador :D