Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 12th January 2013>

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Fax Chart for Monday midday. Really is knife edge! Iceburg can it actually Snow opost-12836-0-43001200-1357978312_thumb.ppost-12836-0-43001200-1357978312_thumb.pn the West side of the 528 by even 30 miles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Fax Chart for Monday midday. Really is knife edge! Iceburg can it actually Snow opost-12836-0-43001200-1357978312_thumb.ppost-12836-0-43001200-1357978312_thumb.pn the West side of the 528 by even 30 miles

Mmmmm...... 528DAM has been pushed slightly further east compared to last nights.

Looks like Bristol/North Somerset is currently the boundary line.

Posted

Mmmmm...... 528DAM has been pushed slightly further east compared to last nights.

Looks like Bristol/North Somerset is currently the boundary line.

If that's the case come Monday, think i'll pop over the severn bridge for some snow haha! been looking forward to snow all week now it looks like chances for Cardiff are maybe 30/40%, oh well i'll just measure how deep the rain:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

This came out at 6am. Would this of included the UKMO runs? There is hardly anything init really. 10 mile further west will do

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Guys in midland thread reporting snow folks.

Posted

FAX charts;

The first occlusion is shown to pass over the West Country Sunday night;

post-12721-0-22459000-1357978848_thumb.j

This would bring light snow to most of the West Country away from coastal areas.

The second occlusion comes down on Monday;

post-12721-0-43838700-1357978908_thumb.j

This pushes the cold air back east a bit, as shown my the movement of the 528DAM line. This would bring possible snowfall to Gloucestershire, Cotswolds, Wiltshire and Hampshire as well as elevated ground such as the Mendips. Areas further SW would see more in the way of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

This came out at 6am. Would this of included the UKMO runs? There is hardly anything init really. 10 mile further west will do

It will probably change for better or worse........

Posted

Personally I would take the snow line to the west of the 528 line.

We have a shrinking warm sector, ie cold air before and after, warm air is forced over the cold air at the front and cold air forced under the warm air from the back as the warm air rises, cold air sinks, warm air is mixed out and the warm sector gets smaller and le intense. The prices then creates the precip and instability.

However is will mean tht the colder air will hang around more near the surface with the mixing out of the warm air probably occurring at 850-500 levels.

So to cut short 1000-500 thicknesses might be margin but still give snow to the surface.

Sub 528 very very likely snow, 528 or just above marginal depending on evapo cooling, mixing of layers etc.

Meto forecast on my phone ha updated and now shows snow for me around 6 hrs Sunday night Monday morning.

Sorry on my phone re typing

Posted

Personally I would take the snow line to the west of the 528 line.

We have a shrinking warm sector, ie cold air before and after, warm air is forced over the cold air at the front and cold air forced under the warm air from the back as the warm air rises, cold air sinks, warm air is mixed out and the warm sector gets smaller and le intense. The prices then creates the precip and instability.

However is will mean tht the colder air will hang around more near the surface with the mixing out of the warm air probably occurring at 850-500 levels.

So to cut short 1000-500 thicknesses might be margin but still give snow to the surface.

Sub 528 very very likely snow, 528 or just above marginal depending on evapo cooling, mixing of layers etc.

Meto forecast on my phone ha updated and now shows snow for me around 6 hrs Sunday night Monday morning.

Sorry on my phone re typing

Hi Mate, appreciate the time you take to give us information on here - would i be too far west in Cardiff ? hoping for a westwards shift nearer the time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNNY

Morning all,

A weather update from north west Oxfordshire (Cotswolds) 210 masl, its 2.1 deg with light rain.

Posted

Jay right on the boarder tbh, you'll get snow IMHO the question is whether you get a few hrs of warm sector, if I had to plump I would say that you will get a few hrs of sleet or snizzle.

Cheers

Posted

ECM 850 humidity I.e precip shows well for t48. A nice band all in -5 850 temps moving down the sw. Similar to nae but looks more intense., by t72 the backend front has swooped down past us.

post-6326-0-77196300-1357980215_thumb.jp

Posted

If anyone has netweather extra turn on the social radar. quite a few snow reports around Brum even one in Bath!

Two different bands. The one in the Midlands is being undercut by colder air and turning to sleet & snow. The one over the West Country is all rain. When the band over the Midlands heads S/SE, we might see some wintriness before it clears.

post-12721-0-50729500-1357980515_thumb.jpost-12721-0-15251700-1357980522_thumb.j

Posted

Thanks AWD really appreciate your input on here. Got everything crossed for snow Sun into Mon. Just hope we all get some.

Currently 3.5 deg and falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Morning everyone, so things still not looking hugely rosy this morning for the west of our region. Still a way to go (model wise) til T0. Still all to play for. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

5.7c here currently. No sign of is falling yet, but the cold is still way away I guess. Im a bit concerned as to IF we get snow, how long it'll stick as the ground is so wet.

Edited by khodds

Posted

If anyone has netweather extra turn on the social radar. quite a few snow reports around Brum even one in Bath!

Hmmm...Nowcast for Bath 5c and it's rain.

Posted

NAE has got a worrying eastward trend about it lately. Remember yesterday I posted the thickness' chart for midday Sunday and it had the 522DAM over Bath, well now it hardly makes the east coast and we are just about in the 528DAM;

post-12721-0-94953200-1357981111_thumb.j

And further east by tomorrow evening;

post-12721-0-16763500-1357981388_thumb.j

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yep, snow in Brum, Coventry, Dudley this morning:http://uksnowmap.com/#/

Filthy here in Southampton but wasn't woken by the thunder. Are you sure it wasn't my and my old man's combined snoring? lazy.gif

Wind due East, temp 5.3C, 1010mb, db 4.9C, humidity 97%

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

2.9c AT, 2.5C DP, 1009.2MB Barometer trend steady.

4.8mm rainfall since midnight.

Some decent bands of precipitation coming through our region on the radar right now. Closest one to me is only producing rain and lies slightly to my Southwest, stretching through IOW, Winchester curling Northwest to Bristol area. Further North of this, by say 80 miles or so, there is a band of precipation North of Oxford, curling Northwest through parts of the Midlands, this is producing rain, sleet and wet snow. Yet more bands exist over parts of the Isles of Scilly and parts of Devon and Cornwall. I am assuming is where the surface feature currently lies.

Keep listening for reports from the band of precipitation over Central parts, as it will readily turn to snow as the day progresses and eventually sink Southwards with the colder Air.

On another note, many Thanks for the continuing analysis, however, can you guys please always qualify which dates you are talking about in each case. good.gif There are clearly so many chances of the frozen white stuff in the days to come, I find it easy to get lost amongst these fantastic interpretations.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Morning everyone, so things still not looking hugely rosy this morning for the west of our region. Still a way to go (model wise) til T0. Still all to play for. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

5.7c here currently. No sign of is falling yet, but the cold is still way away I guess. Im a bit concerned as to IF we get snow, how long it'll stick as the ground is so wet.

Why are people obsessed with the ground being wet?? If it is cold enough snow will settle.......