Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning Plum... With regards to meto for Monday. Im not very good at all the chart malarky, but from what I can make out from my local meto forecast there does seem to be marginality. Yesterday was an all snow event which was arriving later and prolonged through the night. This morning it seems to have swung to light snow and sleet showers starting at 6am. Is there a warm sector or is this due to something else?

I'm unsure - I thought we would be under -6 or lower air by then which means it would all be snow!

Posted

White out.....WOW period of very heavy snow for a very long time...

Not until late on Monday afternoon for most though!

Posted

I'm unsure - I thought we would be under -6 or lower air by then which means it would all be snow!

Look at the last few posts in the model thread - very informative re snow chances!

Posted

It was always light rain here... Damn your extra 20m! tease.gif

I think it's closer to 40 extra! Not that I'm boasting... (ahem)

AS

Posted

White out.....WOW period of very heavy snow for a very long time...

gfs-2-42.png?6

gfs-2-54.png?0

gfs-2-60.png?0

gfs-2-66.png?0

gfs-2-72.png?0

gfs-2-78.png?0

Im not goona post the next frames will take too much room up...

Surrey, what is the difference between the "hatched blue" and the "hatched green"?

Posted

My thoughts exactly! I am just trying to get my head around the synoptics that would cause snow from 6-9am then sleet from 3-6pm followed by snow from 9pm. I do realise that this will not happen exactly as generated by a computer forecast. What I am trying to understand what is causing the sleet to occur... Gosh im not even making sense to myself! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

In very basic terms, what does it mean when the polar vortex collapses? I've seen this mentioned lots of times.

Hi Nikki,

Here is a link to a good video from Peter Gibbs that explains how stratospheric warming affects the polar vortex in laymans terms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/20992173

Posted

Surrey, what is the difference between the "hatched blue" and the "hatched green"?

its precip rate per hour - the key is at the bottom. don't forget that 1mm of rain equates to 10mm of snow

Posted

Well the rain is in place here with almost 10mm since the early hours, just need that to turn a little colder and start getting those fronts through.

Time for the radar later! :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

morning or night!? everyone just got back from my night shift and not back now until next friday! bring on operation turn Britain from green to white!

At the moment its overcast with a very chilly breeze :)

Posted

I assume being on the coast makes mondays event very marginal? Even with very cold uppers?

Not necessarily.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

God, wetter is showing some seriously stonking runs next week + beyond! Massive polar vortex undercutting the scandi high retrogressing to greenland, very 1947-esque ! Britain will come to a standstill if they came off !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

In very basic terms, what does it mean when the polar vortex collapses? I've seen this mentioned lots of times.

Cold air flows south

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

My thoughts exactly! I am just trying to get my head around the synoptics that would cause snow from 6-9am then sleet from 3-6pm followed by snow from 9pm. I do realise that this will not happen exactly as generated by a computer forecast. What I am trying to understand what is causing the sleet to occur... Gosh im not even making sense to myself! rofl.gif

think its something to do with warm air that gets trapped inside a system then cannot escape for being forced back in again.. happens the other way round as well with rain systems with a cold pool.. seen it rain then turn to snow, heavy snow to give quite a covering then back to rain just as the system moves off... something like that anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Thanks very much, very informative.

Hi Nikki,

Here is a link to a good video from Peter Gibbs that explains how stratospheric warming affects the polar vortex in laymans terms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/20992173

Posted

God, wetter is showing some seriously stonking runs next week + beyond! Massive polar vortex undercutting the scandi high retrogressing to greenland, very 1947-esque ! Britain will come to a standstill if they came off !

Potentially dangerous. We love snow, however, if the "red warning" was announced, it could affect a lot of people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Looking at recent observations , although temps in region are currently between 3-4 c the dew points have recently reduced and are now around or below 0c. Now all we need is precipitation!

http://www.weatheron...akt&R=310&CEL=C

Dew Point 0.6 °C, Temperature 2.4 °C here, and I can vouch for the 1.2 °C windchill, my face feels like it’s been slapped with a wet fish !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Looking forward to a few snow days this week so bought a months radar sub in preparation! Question tho,how do you differentiate from snow/rain ect?

Posted

Not necessarily.......

I know the meto could be wrong but at 5c and rain the forecast would have to be very wrong, so can anyone clarify with the uppers on offer snow/rain here?

Posted

temperature here has been very slowly but steadily dropping throughout the morning.

keep any snow or sleet reports coming in peeps so we can work out where the cold air boundary is and how quickly its moving