Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pottyprof

Ubuntu 12.10

I've recently had a play with this new version and I'm very impressed with it. There is still the odd driver issue but overall a very easy install. Even the kids are getting along fine with it.

It finally looks like an operating system with it's own personality and not a decorated copy of windows 98.

What do you think? Anyone else tried it?

Tried it "live" and thought it was fantastic, friend has installed it on an old PC for his retired father and they both love it, neither had used linux at home before and both found it easy to use and get around.

Still using 8 and 10 myself (mainly due to not being ar53d to upgrade my main PC and server yet, but that day is fast approaching as I have limited space issues now on both so that may be the kick I need to make the change.

I am also using ubuntu in my office and must say that this operating system is far better than other version. However I got some problem in managing graphics in it.

I am also using ubuntu in my office and must say that this operating system is far better than other version. However I got some problem in managing graphics in it.

That's the one problem I've had.  It started happening after the new kernel update.  I've rolled it back and everything is stable again.  I'm not using an old old graphics card but have to use an old forceware driver to make it work on windows 7.  Not sure if it could be something to do with the way the graphics card is addressed.

The last version of Ubuntu I ever used was 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog) ... now that's going back to 2005. Though I randomly popped on their website last night just out of curiosity and knew (obviously) a newer version would be available and I'm shocked at how much it's changed. So I've downloaded a copy to stick on my spare laptop... just need to find a spare DVD disc now to burn it to.

I am going to upgrade to 12.04 LTS from 10 very soon (may be days) just need to backup a few things first so I need to re-start my 4TB net share.