Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion - January 11th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Many thanks Gottolovethisweather and A.W.D.

Very helpful. Fingers crossed the mix is good enough!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I am confused.... the confiedence on this forum (which I have enjoyed) and the Net Weather forecast shows Gillingham where I am, to be getting snow with 90% confidence from Sunday onwards infact most of next week. However BBC Weather and Met Weather are showing nothing for Medway? Who should I go with??

Aye, you must be - to be asking that in here! Welcome to the forum!good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Oooooooh!post-9503-0-63766200-1357904842_thumb.jp

And I have to add, that due to the current ramping (and a lot of other things... But mainly ramping) I have had to go to Boots this morning - to buy something to help me sleep! I currently have sandbags under my eyes. Thanks you lot! Lol!

Edited by khodds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Does the forthcoming week remind anyone of the early 80's? i was born in 76 so was quite young, but I do remember the weather forecasts always said 'rain/sleet/snow', rarely just 'snow'. Quite often heavy rain seemed to come around tea time, would turn sleety around my then bedtime (before adulthood and netweather forums), and i'd wake in the middle of the night to heavy snow and 6 inches on the ground (and that in Gloucester at hardly any feet asl). So these 'marginal' events although not producing deep cold strike me as the ones that can produce the most snowfall in our bit of the Uk. I love bitterly cold sunny days, but I'd rather take the risk of a mental marginal event - especially if FI is hinting at deeper more prolonged cold for later in the month...This winter could end up more memorable that 09 or 10 if not for its consistancy in cold, but its variety in severity. Happy days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

And I have to add, that due to the current ramping (and a lot of other things... But mainly ramping) I have had to go to Boots this morning - to buy something to help me sleep! I currently have sandbags under my eyes. Thanks you lot! Lol!

Just don't take too many of them you wouldn't want to sleep through all that snowfall.... rofl.gifblum.gif

I personaly find vast quantities of alcohol tend to also help in times like these! drinks.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

sunny and dry in camborne (near Truro) .....

Posted

Ignoring ALL this ramping, I'm nowcasting....

What a belter of a day 6.5C, glorious sunshine, the sea is like a mill pond as I look out the window.

Very nice, a winter's day of old.yahoo.gif

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Just don't take too many of them you wouldn't want to sleep through all that snowfall.... rofl.gifblum.gif

I personaly find vast quantities of alcohol tend to also help in times like these! drinks.gif

I find the freezing cold keeps me awake. I live in a old Duchy building and they refuse to change the windows. As a result in January last year when the temperature dipped to -9c overnight up here, I woke up and had to scrape ice of the INSIDE of my windows in the house! cold.gif

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Ian f on twitter says snow threat more central and east going by met office for Monday

Edited by Dave Kightley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I find the freezing cold keeps me awake. I live in a old Duchy building and they refuse to change the windows. As a result in January last year when the temperature dipped to -9c overnight up here, I woke up and had to scrape ice of the INSIDE of my windows in the house! cold.gif

that brings back memories, the house I'm in is dated back to the 50s and back in the 80s when it had the original windows, in the very cold weather you'd get loads of condensation, drip drip thorough the night and we had to use a towel to catch the water and I do recall on a few occasions where you could feel ice on the window when the overnight temperatures dropped really low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Ian f on twitter says snow threat more central and east going by met office for Monday

That matches the national weather forecast I saw on news24 this morning, plenty of snow from the spine of the country eastwards, still time for a change though and the gfs 6z did show a westward correction so who knows, that may continue with the other models on their 12z runs.

Posted

that brings back memories, the house I'm in is dated back to the 50s and back in the 80s when it had the original windows, in the very cold weather you'd get loads of condensation, drip drip thorough the night and we had to use a towel to catch the water and I do recall on a few occasions where you could feel ice on the window when the overnight temperatures dropped really low.

That is all to familiar!! Haha!! The drip, the wet towel, the ice!! Wouldn't have it any other way. Double glazing salesmen dare not venture here with fear of being stuck!

We are a bit behind the times, speaking of which I should get the horse and cart out soon and get to the shop for supplies, just in case!

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted

The clue is in the day "Monday" - and today is Friday. Things will change by then - i can almost guarantee it.

In these fluid situs one morning's tweet with a forecast can become out of date pretty quickly.

In case anyone misinterprets this post by me i'm not having a dig at Ian or the poster, but this is a v dynamic weather situ that we have over the coming days. And to pinpoint areas that will defo get snow or rain or whatever is obviously prone to changes this far out.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Dry Sunny and chilly today, For next week or so think that we are in interesting time, Take cement mixer, throw in cold fronts, milder sectors, undercuts, generally below average temps, turn on mixer, Mix throughly and pour out,,,,,,Repeat process couple times,,,,,Now tell me if will snow IMBY in next couple weeks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Ignoring ALL this ramping, I'm nowcasting....

What a belter of a day 6.5C, glorious sunshine, the sea is like a mill pond as I look out the window.

Very nice, a winter's day of old.yahoo.gif

Yeah it's a glorius day. Feel's very warm in the sunshine too! Currently 8.7°C here. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

BBC downgraded potential snow for Frome area, just rain Saturday and Monday according to them

... that i believe it of course as the weather around here can change a lot.)

Link i pasted not showing.

Is showing now but London not Frome.

Edited by offerman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Yes, I remember the winters of the 70s/80s in a house with no heating.........frozen toothbrushes and flannels. I still live in a old house but with heating that I'm too tight to put on so I cover most of windows with the shrink film you can buy, works a treat for keeping out the draughts anyway sorry mods completely off topic, won't do it again, promise!

Posted

For the SW region we need the cold air to be further West again on the 12z, 18z and tomorrows 0z. We need some consistancy between now and Monday so we get a good idea of where we stand.

If the cold upper air wont push further West on Monday, there could be a lot of damp conditions about throughout next week in our region and not the cold spell anticipated.

Lots to play for still. Just some model agreement would be good! But saying that the GFS and ECM do agree on milder air in the SW.

132-779.GIF?11-6

I want the GEM

gemfr-2-84.png?00

Edited by latitude

Posted

Ohhh I just checked my area and its gone from no chance to 30% on Monday!!!

Posted

Yes, I remember the winters of the 70s/80s in a house with no heating.........frozen toothbrushes and flannels. I still live in a old house but with heating that I'm too tight to put on so I cover most of windows with the shrink film you can buy, works a treat for keeping out the draughts anyway sorry mods completely off topic, won't do it again, promise!

Thanks for the advice!! Will give that a try.

Yes, sorry mods for being off topic. Coming back on topic, I am by far no expert at reading the models but the look like they are not agreeing with each other.

Also, the weather is so unpredictable up here, we have had 2 days of snow so far this winter, one in late november and one in december, snow settled but was gone later in the day. Met or BBC never forecasted it, in fact they forecasted rain! So could be an interesting week ahead....

Anyway, clouds and 7.1c here. People keep speaking of this sun? What is that please? rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Yes, remeber the 80`s weather well and peeling off the net curtains from the iced window inside and getting a rollocking for doing it, frozen flanel. one fire to heat the house was in living room, then later a portable fire that we had to feel up with very smelly (but nice in odd way) liquid that was on landing to try heat 3 bedrooms .

Those were the days eh. bed was warm but carpet near frozen.

Lat is right, the cling film type stuff is awesome, once you put it on go over with hair dryer to stretch out , it sticks to side of frames , once hair dried it gets the creases out and tightens up.

BBC say rain, yet Metcheck has dumping on us for tonight and tomorrow.

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=frome

Edited by offerman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

That warning feels like a kick in the teeth... cray.gif