Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

Johnny Cash and the Forgotten Prison Blues

Cash’s classic albums recorded at Folsom Prison and San Quentin are well known, but few are aware that these were just two of many prison concerts he played over three decades.

Cash's experiences in these jails turned him into a passionate prison reformer who donated his own money to the cause, and took a released prisoner into his own home.

I listened to the story on R4 this PM, starting at the notorious Cummins prison in Arkansas. It's a fascinating programme with some archive material thrown in and well worth a listen if you are a Cash fan or even interested in prison reform.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p012nt77

One of my Fathers' favourite C&W musicians.

He took me to one of the early Country and Western festivals at the Wembley Empire Pool (Wembley Arena) circa 1971/2 and saw him perform in a tent beside the main hall and then do the same performance inside the arena. I was 9 or 10 at the time.

C&W is not my first choice for listening these days, but I do recall seeing some of the great musicians of the genre during 3 years of going to that festival, including: Dolly Parton, Chet Atkins, Marty Robbins, Tammy Wynette, Charlie Pride, Boxcar Willie, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and many others.

I still have an Album signed by Jim Reeves wife.

I guess from that beginning my tastes transferred to heavy rock much to my dad's chagrin who had to then put up with Led Zeppelin via Yes, Hawkwind, Thin Lizzy and New Wave including punk! lol.

Ours was a house of eclectic musical tastes - my mother loved classical and my sister was into soul and pop.

Poor neighbours!

ffO.

In late 60s when on Birmingham Fire Service, Part time job was Fire officer for Birmingham Hippodrome, Went in for Sunday Matinee shift and acct that afternoon was Johnny Cash, I am so ashamed to say didn't then have clue who he was [ too interested in the pop scene] Never bothered to stand in wings and watch the show, Only years later became interested in Johnny Cash and kick myself now to think missed seeing him live, I remember the Matinee was not well booked and only front stalls occupied, He had June Carter and Carl Perkins on the show with him,,,,,,,I just wished had seen the show, Saw documentary on his prison concerts, just stunning

I guess from that beginning my tastes transferred to heavy rock much to my dad's chagrin who had to then put up with Led Zeppelin via Yes, Hawkwind, Thin Lizzy and New Wave including punk! lol.

Poor neighbours!

ffO.

I don't know about poor neighbors, poor father!

I still have fond memories of going to the Grand Ole Opry.. Before anyone starts the new one not the old one. Unfortunately it was years after my favourite female singer Patsy Cline had been killed.

I love the film Murder in Coweta County starring Johnny Cash and his wife, June. It's a brutal film but damned good. And Cash is brilliant as the Sheriff.

That's the reason why I think Johnny Cash was an utter legend, not only great music but a very strong message behind the music:

Here's an underestimated JC song...Might even be better to suited to the MOD thread?

I love the film Murder in Coweta County starring Johnny Cash and his wife, June. It's a brutal film but damned good. And Cash is brilliant as the Sheriff.

I'll see if I can find it on Youtube, K...