Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 4th January 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Lots of chat about dongles in the MT this evening due to the King of the Ramps moving hoose and being without a dongle ! As someone else wrote if any kind of omen is guaranteed to have the models spewing out nailded Beasterlies - that is it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I could swing for that Azores high! When you want it in summer it's nowhere to be seen and when you don't want it in winter, it sticks like a limpet right over the top of us. Look at last year, when all the cold was kept a couple of hundred miles away because of it with the exception of the extreme south east for a short while. I do hope that it plays ball this year and doesn't b****r everything up for us again. It would be purgatory to watch an incredible set up wasted because of it! Rant over, so let's hope that there will be enough strength in the SSW in the next 96hrs or so to kick it the heck into oblivion!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Interesting watching Ian's weather report - and that they obviously feel 'reasonably' concerned/confident enough to already be mentioning it on tv. (Anyone else concerned by the poorly decorated christmas tree? All I could think was that surely someone could have sorted that out by January! It must have been up for weeks....)

Anyways all very exciting! Hopefully things will pick up on the thread a bit when the models start getting saucy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Snaw is comin'. Dunno when, but it's acomin'

I can't deny altogether loving it, but I will never understand or be able to give justice to the pronuncation of the word "snaw". Cracking.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Wow. The top station at Cairngorm is being reported as +11degrees this morning. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what the web site says. Skiing is over at Glenshee for now. :-(

Posted

Made it down to 4.5c at 6.00am this morning but cloud has moved in since and it is currently 5.5c. A .bit of an inversion going on with regards to the Cairngorm temperature like December 2008

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

As I predicted yesterday, we have a slight ground frost here this morning so winter hasn't disappeared completely.

blum.gif

Posted

Made it down to 4.5c at 6.00am this morning but cloud has moved in since and it is currently 5.5c. A .bit of an inversion going on with regards to the Cairngorm temperature like December 2008

Yeh it's quiet impressive. Car park level at Glenshee (650 ms) was showing around +6 earlier on. Be of interest the difference at the top station of Cairngorm between today and this time next week.

Interesting watching Ian's weather report - and that they obviously feel 'reasonably' concerned/confident enough to already be mentioning it on tv. (Anyone else concerned by the poorly decorated christmas tree? All I could think was that surely someone could have sorted that out by January! It must have been up for weeks....)

Anyways all very exciting! Hopefully things will pick up on the thread a bit when the models start getting saucy!

The models are already getting saucy, moving into Reggae Reggae sauce territory so definitely spicing up :good:

Posted

How about a bit of this next Friday onwards then?

138_20.gif

144_20.gif

162_20.gif

144_17.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Is that northern blocking on the GFS. Nice.

06Z ensembles going to be sweet most likely.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Is that northern blocking on the GFS. Nice.

06Z ensembles going to be sweet most likely.

Downward plunge continuing I'd expect, some northward correction required for a good initial easterly here but in this case shortwaves could be our friend in undercutting and effectively ' propping up' the block to allow the cold uppers to come our way. Look for this to show up closer to the time though. Another important trend is the retrogression to Greenland, this has been fairly well flagged up by both teleconnections and the strat vortex position and now is coming into the less wild phase of FI. Uncertainties remain at this stage of course, but it's beginning to look a lot like December 2009...

Downward plunge continuing I'd expect, some northward correction required for a good initial easterly here but in this case shortwaves could be our friend in undercutting and effectively ' propping up' the block to allow the cold uppers to come our way. Look for this to show up closer to the time though. Another important trend is the retrogression to Greenland, this has been fairly well flagged up by both teleconnections and the strat vortex position and now is coming into the less wild phase of FI. Uncertainties remain at this stage of course, but it's beginning to look a lot like December 2009...

That's the kind of chat which starts rampedes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Happy Birthday BleakMidwinter hope you have a great day...here is one I made earlier

post-15765-0-56134400-1357386296_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

That's the kind of chat which starts rampedes.

I know, should probably have held back on that one. Monday 00Zs are the key time for me really, as by that point the zonal wind reversal and technical SSW will become an initial condition, and by that point hopefully we'll have a better idea of any shortwave developments that could either help or hinder us. But if it's still looking as good or better by then, it'll be time for a rampede of epic proportions.

I know, should probably have held back on that one. Monday 00Zs are the key time for me really, as by that point the zonal wind reversal and technical SSW will become an initial condition, and by that point hopefully we'll have a better idea of any shortwave developments that could either help or hinder us. But if it's still looking as good or better by then, it'll be time for a rampede of epic proportions.

Stop it, now you're ramping up the prospects for the rampede!!

The 06z ensembles are showing a bit less scatter for the pressure over Iceland than those posted up last night (18z?), still going for high pressure in that area which is a good sign for cold.

+12.6c reached at the Summit of CairnGorm in the early hours. Made it into the teens mid-mountain earlier... mega_shok.gif

That would pass for a warm summer's day in Paisley town centre :lol:

Posted

Don't want to build any excitement yet as I have a bad feeling the coldest uppers will clip SE England and into France!! Would love to see a strong east wind with snow showers rattling through the central belt please please please lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Happy Birthday BleakMidwinter hope you have a great day...here is one I made earlier

That is the most fantastic snow-art I've seen in ages! Thanks! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Stop it, now you're ramping up the prospects for the rampede!!

Glol I will raise your ramp of a rampede and ramp your ramp of a rampede to say ramping of a rampeding nature is inevitable......

Don't say that PB I get very annoyed when sarf east steal our uppers but your right its always possible in an easterly feed pulling across from deep Eastern Europe with little expanse of warm water to cross...I will settle for -8 uppers and convective showers.....

So proud of my 2yr old she has been sledging once on Dec 3rd and has not stopped going on about it...every morning for the last week she has asked has it snowed daddy then asks why not and proceeds to tell me the story of how when it snows we go sledging....so proud but it reminds me that there is no snaw.....just promised her snaw in the next two weeks (gulp) just agreed with neighbour who has an unused super sledge on skis with a steering wheel to take the kids up glenshee before end of winter should it never reach ourselves but here's hoping we can do both :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Happy Birthday BleakMidwinter! drinks.gif

It is very grey oot today! Anyone else been watching old skool kids tv on CITV?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dull but mild and dry so no excuse for not getting some overdue outside jobs done before it gets dark.

Re the SE getting the deep cold I see the Met O 16/30 dayer is sticking with wintry weather especially in the East and North. As long as the high stays North we should be ok.

Happy birthday Bleak MidWinter. Have a good one!