Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 4th January 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Here's the latest thread to discuss your regional weather and local observations in bonnie Scotland ....

Liking that control. Op no bad either.

The question is, third time lucky or do these things come in threes?! After the last two let downs I don't know what to think, I suspect I'll have the ramp out by Monday though. At least weather addiction doesn't cost too much and doesn't leave a nasty hangover :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

To pass the time.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/01/travel/top-destinations-2013/index.html

Top travel destinations for 2013: Scatland

Fools. Poor stupid fools.laugh.png

Posted

Still cloudy but mild. Have got some blue sky trying to show like yesterday but may well fill in again

Edited by NUT

I wonder what magic stuff they we're on when they we're making that report blum.gif

I completely disagree with that NUT, we are too quick to do down our country, or maybe we're too humble?

Posted

we are too quick to do down our country, or maybe we're too humble?

Maybe so, but then we're good at self depreciating humour. And if you can't laugh at yourself...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Maybe so, but then we're good at self depreciating humour. And if you can't laugh at yourself...

Self depreciating, or self deprecating humour? :D Slight technical difference... the first means we make ourselves lesser, devalued, worth little... the second means we poke fun at ourselves!

Sorry, my Inner Pedant keeps escaping - get back in there, IP! Shut up! No, you're going back in the box...!

Posted

Forgive the lack of a spell checker for my comments. You are quite correct.

In the meantime, here's a weather chart...

t850Midlothian.png

Naw quite as doon as we'd hope for yet, but right kind of uppers back by the 9th maybe.

Edited by scottish skier

Self depreciating, or self deprecating humour? biggrin.png Slight technical difference... the first means we make ourselves lesser, devalued, worth little... the second means we poke fun at ourselves!

Sorry, my Inner Pedant keeps escaping - get back in there, IP! Shut up! No, you're going back in the box...!

I think our football team is pretty self-depreciating at the moment, so maybe SS is onto something?

And just to out-pedant you; surely if your inner pedant escapes it must by definition become your outer pedant? Just a thought... (sorry, couldn't resist)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Quiet in here at the moment, a bit like the weather. Here today it's been mild as predicted. It was a bit breezy earlier with light cloud but now the cloud seems to have gone and the wind has dropped. I suspect we may see a ground frost tonight if it stays like this and the predicted low of 1-2DegC is accurate.

I've actually lurked in the model thread for the last 2 days. Interesting although I don't claim to understand half of it. Between that and the strat thread my summary would be "likely in a week or so to start getting colder again although no one can predict with any accuracy yet just when, how cold, for how long, or if that will be accompanied with snow or stay largely dry". Basically I'm probably no the wiser for having looked than if I hadn't. fool.gif

Ravelin

Quiet in here at the moment, a bit like the weather. Here today it's been mild as predicted. It was a bit breezy earlier with light cloud but now the cloud seems to have gone and the wind has dropped. I suspect we may see a ground frost tonight if it stays like this and the predicted low of 1-2DegC is accurate.

I've actually lurked in the model thread for the last 2 days. Interesting although I don't claim to understand half of it. Between that and the strat thread my summary would be "likely in a week or so to start getting colder again although no one can predict with any accuracy yet just when, how cold, for how long, or if that will be accompanied with snow or stay largely dry". Basically I'm probably no the wiser for having looked than if I hadn't. fool.gif

Ravelin

I don't think anyone is much the wiser at the moment, particularly after the recent let down(s). I followed a SSW event a few years ago and it ultimately delivered nothing to Scotland, so better luck this time? We will get snow at some point, we just need some patience.

Posted

Just wondering if it's a good idea to stop drinking noo that the New Year is 4 days old?

Na, you can keep going until Sunday the 6th inclusive officially. 12 days of Christmas and all that.

Slight scatter in the ensembles for pressure over Iceland:

post-2844-0-88402800-1357324880_thumb.pn

Oops, that's already been posted in the model thread, should have looked there first :rofl:

It's amazing that there are people who post in the model thread who actually don't say much, if anything, about the actual models but only comment on what other people say. Almost as if they know nothing but want to look as if they know something. I know I know nothing but that's nothing new to people who know me...

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I would love a wee heavy! Been off the booze since the 18th December when I tumbled down hillhead station stairs and dislocated my knee!

Hopefully some snow for my bday (29th)

Thanks to all for keeping me smiling :) the MT is far to much of a roller coaster. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Finally saw last nights BBC forecast on iplayer, you could see the excitement in his face when talking about the SSW and possible impact on our weather, now we have to wait & see what unfolds :(

Edited by Allyw12

Posted

Evening all,

Ian ( UKMO dude on MT) has had his bbc forecast posted on the MT. I can't view it on my iPad. Any chance of a quick summary. I'm guessing its around the POSSIBILITY of the SSW leading to cold heading somewhere across Europe tied in with PV segment dropping into Scandi. Keen to hear his thoughts.

Sure would like to be a fly on the wall in Exeter when they are discussing actual outcomes, which they must be behind closed doors.

Posted

Ian ( UKMO dude on MT) has had his bbc forecast posted on the MT. I can't view it on my iPad. Any chance of a quick summary. I'm guessing its around the POSSIBILITY of the SSW leading to cold heading somewhere across Europe tied in with PV segment dropping into Scandi. Keen to hear his thoughts.

For the first time in at least a month, SS heads to model thread.

cyberdyne_robot_suit.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I don't think anyone is much the wiser at the moment, particularly after the recent let down(s). I followed a SSW event a few years ago and it ultimately delivered nothing to Scotland, so better luck this time? We will get snow at some point, we just need some patience.

Big difference between that one and this one I reckon (is this the February '09 one where we were consistently just on the wrong side of big snowfalls?) is the position of the split - Greenland. This, along with the secondary Greenland strat warming, will not only see off the vortex by the end of the month, assuming continued propagation, but also give us the best possible shot at a Greenland high. Combined with this phasing with the MJO phase 7/8 and this has the potential to be something quite special. Obviously, caution advised etc etc but this one doesn't rely on either the infamous Russian high or the southward movement of the arctic high so I'm feeling a bit more confident about it, for the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Big difference between that one and this one I reckon (is this the February '09 one where we were consistently just on the wrong side of big snowfalls?) is the position of the split - Greenland. This, along with the secondary Greenland strat warming, will not only see off the vortex by the end of the month, assuming continued propagation, but also give us the best possible shot at a Greenland high. Combined with this phasing with the MJO phase 7/8 and this has the potential to be something quite special. Obviously, caution advised etc etc but this one doesn't rely on either the infamous Russian high or the southward movement of the arctic high so I'm feeling a bit more confident about it, for the moment.

I'm looking for -15C uppers across Scotland, that would be special. If one thing recent cold winters have lacked eg. 2010, 2009 is -15C uppers.