Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 3rd January 2013>

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Oh dear, it's started. The doom and gloom is currently in the MOD.

Love has returned to the MOD!!!

Well, they're all on the Ebernezers now! clapping.gifblum.gif

To put us all in the mood, channel 4 is a weather lovers paradise tonight... Is our weather getting worse on now, and one of my fav films at 7.40 - The day after tomorrow..... Or will it be "this time next week" lol!!

I watched "Is our weather getting worse?" last week and was very disappointed. More like a Channel 5 programme than Channel 4.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Just watching the channel 4 programme now ... Hmm why do they have to put such dramatic narrative tone on it!! At least though they mention that extremes haven't just been the last decade :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

I remember I got very, very bored, despite the dramatic narrative tone and the distracting graphics - was there, like, a grey courtyard which kept heaving up like some sort of earthquake was going on or am I misremembering? I dunno, I ended up playing Scrabble....

Posted

Ruddy hell, if the ECM verified we would be under snow this time next week near enough.

Goes to show the volatility of the NWP output currently.

Alas, the same caveat should be applied to the ECM. You'll never pick out a snow event from a week away in the South of England.

Let's get the cold in first (which is on it's way), then we'll worry about the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Although temperature is holding up at 6.8c, it feels a lot chillier out there than of recent nights.

Might just be me getting old though.

Posted

That's because 6.8c (6.9c here) IS far chillier than any evening since Tuesday!

The sky is also clear for the first time since Tuesday evening, shame it couldn't have cleared in early afternoon

to allow some sunshine lol !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Cloudy and meh all day. Currently 7.1c and patchy fog. It doesn't feel 7.1c as I have just got back from picking my son up from work and my hands are really cold. So the only thing to do was sneak up behind my husband and put them on his neck to make him squeal like a girl diablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Just been out with the dogs and its a bit colder tonight ,owls are noisy tonight in our woods and heard a deer calling .well a reasonable chance of it turnung colder next weekend with high pressure setting up to the north of the uk .some good signs of a cold easterly or northerly setting up .but as for snow prospects its realy best to keep an eye on the MET OFFICE FAX charts as its human input and its the forecasters way of presenting all the areas of low pressure also highs and all important weather fronts etc ,and iv watched the forecasters producing these charts and its a work of art .the main modells are now firming up but we need a few more runs to show the same and for other charts to sing a little together .i do hope we get something as its so good to look over the landscape and see a nice covering of snow ,and of course to see flakes falling against the lights at night .i was up on the blackdowns back in 1978 feb ,over 30cm fell over night and i watched the beutifull flakes fall against my uncles lights at night ,the next morning was a true winter wonderland .cheers gang and hope you all get a bit of the white stuff .

Posted

Is it too early to start posting snow charts yet? :p :p

post-12721-0-10327600-1357424837.jpg

Posted

Never too early!

It's that time again when we all start looking for pointless FI snow charts to post & get excited about.

Admittedly, you'll probably see me do a lot of this over the next couple of weeks. ( provided they are there to post of course)

Posted

Here's another one;

post-12721-0-29601600-1357425571.jpg

Oh I do love this time of year! :p :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

No. Don't. It's not safe!

There is a lot of sniping and arguing going on, because the latest models don't show snowmageddon.

It doesn't seem to make any difference that Ian F has stressed several times that the models wll show wild swings whilst they get to grips with what is happening.

For the sake of your sanity.......DON'T GO THERE!wacko.png

Indeed, this is an even bigger problem for society in general. The ability to listen to others and then to learn from them. lazy.gifwallbash.gif

I haven't even been in the MOD thread today, but I gather from reading things elsewhere that one run has apparently gone pete tong. I am expecting a gradual cooldown to something more seasonal and that's all for now. It's much later on, that the real treats could easily be revealed.

Whilst, I don't normally bother with the Pub Run, I must say that has evolved in a bizarre way too. An azores high with an attendant Easterly over the UK at the same time? Very odd model outputs at the moment, as suggested by those in the know. good.gif

Enjoy it for what it is, the weather. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Ok then, you want a RAMP chart, here's one courtesy of the unreliable GFS 18z pub run.

post-7183-0-41208400-1357427134_thumb.pn

The chances of this coming about as suggested are very low indeed, but its intended purely as part of the fun. Air Pressure is in fact, quite high in spite of what is being shown. Nevertheless, the current uppers are about 7c or 8c, so that is some tasty chart. shok.gif

As others have attempted to say within these forums, the trend is what is important and not the specifics. More and more runs are suggesting some much cooler uppers by mid to end of next week. Precipitation type is never certain at such a range. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I haven't even been in the MOD thread today, but I gather from reading things elsewhere that one run has apparently gone pete tong.

Highly recommended reading Tony, if you fancy a good laugh...lol......It kept me thoroughly entertained for a good hour watching the wheels come off and seeing members mentally disintegrate! laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Ah ha a slight mention of snow and here I am, prob like most to join the slalem run to the forecasted event. Lots of twists and turns to come no doubt, plenty of excitement but maybe not the result we will all be so very hopeful for and lots of upside down faces in the model thread.

But that is what so great about the British weather. We have reasons to talk about it especially here and I will enjoy the ride listening to the chat. And if it does by a small chance bring snow well that will just be a bonus.

So come on all lets get the excitement going ;)

Posted

Yes

Even if its just for fun? :(

Posted

Even if its just for fun? sad.png

OH,OK then, go on

Meanwhile.....

After a very misty night which is now clearing, somewhat cooler at 3.2C, which may well drop over the next hour

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

A very foggy morning here in christchurch.

Just once I would love to wake up to surprise snow! 😃

Posted

A very foggy morning here in christchurch.

Just once I would love to wake up to surprise snow! 😃

Grey and misty here in Northern Hampshire.

It'd be nice to get a few glimmers of sunshine this afternoon.

As to snow Divadee ...next weekend and beyond is beginning to look promising, particularly for those of us towards the east of the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Grey and misty here in Northern Hampshire.

It'd be nice to get a few glimmers of sunshine this afternoon.

As to snow Divadee ...next weekend and beyond is beginning to look promising, particularly for those of us towards the east of the region.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! It just would be lovely to have a completely surprise extreme snow event thoug wouldn't it? Go to bed and then wake up to an inch or ten of snow which no one forecast. That would be heaven. â„â„â„

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Morning, well today is D-Day then for the strat warming......................the fun should really begin now. Most have been putting to much faith in the recent output when in fact the models do not no the effects of the SSW and how quickly it will reach the troposhere, it will be interesting to see how the models cope and how much they flip and flop in the next couple of weeks, or not..........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! It just would be lovely to have a completely surprise extreme snow event thoug wouldn't it? Go to bed and then wake up to an inch or ten of snow which no one forecast. That would be heaven. â„â„â„

If you don't come on here or watch a weather forecast for a couple of weeks then you might just wake up to a suprise, lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

6c. Misty.Calm...This time next week with Easterlies who knows...!!!!