Sign in to follow this  
summer blizzard

2013 Tennis thread

Tennis is surprisingly for some people one of the most popular sports in the UK and yet because very few tournments are televised, most people only focus on the French/British Open section of the season.

I have opened this thread because the season is actually 10 months long with most players taking part every week or two.

Call me biased but my reports will tend to be biased towards following the top 4 along with Del Potro and Tomic but the link below you can go to for any scores, rankings ect..

http://www.atpworldtour.com/

The top 4 are Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray.

Three tournaments underway this week in Brisbanne, Doha and Chennai, all 250 point tournaments (the lowest value).

Ferrer playing in Doha is the highest ranked seed though Hewiit has turned up in Brisbane winning his first match (former world number 1).

Nadal out of australian open, shame, could well be out of top 4 in Feb

Aye, almost certain and could drop to 7th potentially though at least its only a virus rather than his knee.

Australian Open starts 14th Jan.

I suspect his main focus will be a good showing in the 2 March Masters 1000 events before the clay court season begins in April.

I expect he will be back to his usual self by the time the French Open rolls around.

I have pinned the thread.

My fear for Nadal is that injuries will end up reducing the length of his career, sure he will win more majors, but not as many as he would otherwise have done.

I have pinned the thread.

My fear for Nadal is that injuries will end up reducing the length of his career, sure he will win more majors, but not as many as he would otherwise have done.

Risk vs reward.

He knows that nobody can match him physically and this has enabled victory over Federer on the whole however the trade off has being that his knees probably won't last and i suspect that when Federer calls time so will Nadal (his career has been defined by this rivalry so it makes sense to me).

Tomic beat Djokovic 6-4, 6-4 in an exhibition tournament today, i don't expect a replication anytime soon.

An emotional Andy Murray fought back tears and dedicated his victory to “a sick friend†after defeating Grigor Dimitrov in a gripping Brisbane International final on Sunday.

Murray, the defending champion, prevailed 7-6 (7-0), 6-4 after weathering a storm from his 21-year-old Bulgarian opponent in the opening set.

The US Open champion played a flawless tiebreaker and a clinical second set allowed him to recover a service break and complete ideal preparations for the Australian Open, which begins at Melbourne Park on January 14

Heineken Open and Apia International this week.

Ferrer is the top seed at the Heineken Open, Gasquet (just won of course) at Apia. Tomic is also in Apia.

Tomic and Ferrer are both through the QF's at Apia and the Heineken Open.

Tomic (youngest player in top 100) will play Seppi in the Apia semi-finals tommorow.

Ferrer won 6-2, 6-1 as well.

Tomic has reached the final of Apia in front of his home crowd and will play Anderson (beat in 2011). If he wins then at 20 he will be the youngest ATP tournament winner since Del Potro in 08 (19) who was the youngest since Nadal in 04 (17) who was in turn the youngest since Hewitt (youngest world number 1 on record).

All three above are grand slam winners so i hope you can now understand why he is viewed by some as the real deal (at 18 he became the youngest QF at Wimbledon since Becker).

Edited by summer blizzard

Tomic has won the Apia International and rises to 43rd.

Ferrer has won the Heineken Cup and takes 4th from Nadal i believe.

Australian Open this week..

The top 3, Del Potro and Tomic all won their R1 matches in straight sets.

The top 3 and Del Potro won their R2 matches in straight sets.

Tomic won his R2 match in 4 sets and will play Federer on saturday (he will lose points because Federer defeated him in R4 last year).

Well Done to Laura Robson and Heather Watson getting to the 3rd round.

Federer defeats Tomic in straight sets and Chardy defeats Del Potro in 5 sets (he was pretty poor in the first two sets).

Federer, Murray and Djokovic go to R4 without losing a set.

Took a full five hours but Djokovic wins the 5th set 12-10.

Amazing game and for Wawrinka to have creamed Djokovic 6-1, 5-2 at the beggining was a great feat.

Astonishing game, Djokovic never gives in.

Federer and Murray are both through to the QF (Federer's 35th consecutive one) so i imagine their SF should be very good.

Here's a statistic which is ominous, whilst both Murray and Federer have not lost a set Federer has not even been broken yet.