Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rainfall Statistics, 2013

310mm this month now and looks like a fair bit more to come, possibly to break the 400mm barrier by month's end? That would make it the wettest month since November 2009, the last month to do so  with 465mm. Who'd have thought that after the dry first third of the month with high pressure dominating and modelled to continue?

Currently 1,805mm for 2013 compared to long term average of 1,865mm.

Strangely December is below average so far at 100mm (to midday today)

However year to date is above average at around 1140mm.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Very modest amounts of rain here considering the depth and vigour of the depressions in the second half of December.

Just over 90 mm for the month now and we'll be struggling to reach the average of 114 mm unless it's a very wet day tomorrow.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

2013 Rainfall, Long Lawford, Rugby, Warwickshire (thanks to Dad)

Jan: 51.4mm = average
Feb: 43.8mm = average

March: 59.6mm = rather wet
April: 12.8mm = very dry

May: 62.5mm = rather wet

June: 32.5mm = rather dry

July: 50.0mm = near average

Aug: 34.0mm = dry

Sept: 32.6mm = dry

Oct: 119.4 = very wet

Nov: 41.0mm = dry

Dec: 47.6mm = rather dry

2013: 587.2mm = rather dry

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Only 8.3mm of rain needs to fall in December to reach average rainfall for the year, a feat I'm sure we will manage easily.

How these words I said at the end of last month have haunted me! December comes in well above average, despite only 6.0mm of rain falling in the first 14 days of the month. The wet month brings 2013's rainfall total comfortably above average.

January: 95.2mm (above average)February: 43.1mm (below average)March: 55.9mm (average)

April: 27.3mm (well below average)

May: 57.4mm (above average)

June: 28.0mm (well below average)

July: 71.7mm (well above average)

August: 58.3mm (average)

September: 69.9mm (slightly above average)

October: 128.5mm (well above average)

November: 80.9mm (above average)

December: 121.4mm (well above average)

2013 final total: 837.6mm (above average)

Edited by Somerset Squall

Bit of a washout December, 405mm which is 162% the average of 250mm, wettest month since November 2009. 1,900mm for the year, just above average. Drier than last year which came in at 2,090mm. Several dry months but 2 very wet months in Oct and Dec helped get the total to average.

January: 210mm - 93% the averageFebruary: 95mm - 58% the averageMarch: 115mm - 82% the averageApril: 60mm - 57% the averageMay: 125mm - 132% the averageJune: 95mm - 100% the averageJuly: 75mm - 75% the averageAugust: 145mm - 112% the averageSeptember: 100mm - 67% the averageOctober: 325mm - 159% the averageNovember: 150mm - 73% the averageDecember: 405mm - 162% the average

2013: 1,900mm, 102% of average

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

December finished with 49mm

Need to work out the yearly total for 2013 but I don't think we're too far away from the 81 to 10 average here (give or take a bit either way)

Final stats to follow this afternoon

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A dry year and a dry December despite all the stormy weather around. December came in at 65.5mm 75.4% of average The year came in at 747.2mm 89% of normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

My rainfall and Annual data can be found here:-

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/Radstock-Data-Tables(2798516).htm

Posted

888.4mm over the 12 months of 2013 - soggy!

post-6667-0-37262600-1388661647_thumb.jp

Posted

December was the driest since 2005 here with only 25.4mm (40%) and actually the 4th driest of the last 50 years.

The year as a whole was another very dry one at 491.0mm (75%) with only May and October coming in above the 1981-2010 average. Of the last 50 years, only  1991 and 2011 were drier.

JAN: 48.8mm (87%)

FEB: 30.8mm (72%)

MAR: 51.4mm (107%)

APR: 10.4mm (21%)

MAY: 61.0mm (132%)

JUN: 55.0mm (93%)

JUL: 22.6mm (42%)

AUG: 25.0mm (42%)

SEP: 29.6mm (50%)

OCT: 83.2mm (141%)

NOV: 47.8mm (77%)

DEC: 25.4mm (40%)

ANN: 491.0mm (75%)

Summer was the driest since 1995 and the 4th driest since 1976.

It seems its been quite a different year for rainfall here compared to places elsewhere. It was welcome after the 826.8mm that fell in 2012 though!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here in Leeds it was an interesting year for rainfall.

We had the snowy January and March but between Feb and July we had three different periods with precipitation not falling for at least 20 days. Since August however i'd say that we've played out a pretty average to dry pattern with the exception of October December which has been quite wet.

Met Oiffce rainfall map for December been released, actual and anomaly

Posted Image  Posted Image

Well above average in Scotland and S/SE England, above average average across the SW and Wales, below average in some central/Eastern parts of England. More than 500mm across the Scottish highlands, 300-500mm over the hills of Wales and in contrast below 50mm in parts of E England, 25mm or less in places!

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted

Well above average in Scotland and S/SE England, above average average across the SW and Wales, below average in some central/Eastern parts of England. More than 500mm across the Scottish highlands, 300-500mm over the hills of Wales and in contrast below 50mm in parts of E England, 25mm or less in places!

That ties in very well with the 25.4mm I recorded here.

This chart also reflects the 150% average sunshine aswell:

http://www.metoffice...y_1981-2010.gif

It just shows the difference from west to east when we have constant winter westerlies.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

94.6 mm here in December which is 83% of the 1981-2010 average and makes it the driest December since 2010 ( which was the driest on record)

The total for 2013 was 1023.8 mm which is 96% of average.

It just shows the difference from west to east when we have constant winter westerlies.

Quite, a big rain shadow effect from the Welsh mountains, Pennines, Scottish highlands etc in Westerly/S Westerly dominated setups

Year rainfall actual and anomaly maps

Posted Image  Posted Image

Ties in well with my observations too

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 2

Posted

Those December rainfall maps are surprising to say the least. It wasn't nearly as wet as it seemed, perhaps due to rainfall being more prolonged than heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Interesting. The month here started off very dull, but it seems things picked up later on. The Church Fenton station is no longer reporting for some odd reason so I don't know the numbers.

Those rainfall maps also confirm that it was an average or even slightly below average month here. We had around 14 days of rain (>1mm) so it was more a case of frequent but light precipitation. No flooding that's for sure.

Here's some data from an amateur station in East Leeds. A very low 490.7mm for the year and only 95 days of rain (>1mm). People in this part of the world are left wondering what on earth is going on in the rest of the country.

Posted Image

Edited by cheese

Posted ImagePosted Image

Ties in well with the below average rainfall in Mumbles for December 107mm and the fact that rainfall was much higher over the Welsh Mountains.

Quite, a big rain shadow effect from the Welsh mountains, Pennines, Scottish highlands etc in Westerly/S Westerly dominated setups

Year rainfall actual and anomaly maps

Posted ImagePosted Image

Ties in well with my observations too

Mumbles had 1120mm of rain this year, 12% above average, again agrees with above. The start of the year was pretty wet, but the wetness of October and November pushed it above average for the year, despite the dry summer.

mm   % of normal (1981-2010)January  146.80   154% February  71.20   106% March     79.40   109% April     27.00    46% May       90.00   143% June      29.80    47% July      37.60    52% August   128.60   153% September 74.40    96% October  187.80   153% November 136.80   122% December 107.20    97%Total   1116.60   112%
Edited by J10

Posted

Llanwnnen, Ceredigion, Wales

Jan: 119.9mm = near normal
Feb: 67.7mm = rather dry

March: 95.3mm = near normal

April: 64.7mm = rather dry

May: 124.7mm = rather wet

June: 50.1mm = dry

July: 40.6mm = dry

Aug: 81.9mm = near average

Sept: 85.7mm = rather dry

Oct: 214.2mm = very wet

Nov: 111mm = rather dry

Dec: 258.7mm = very wet

2013 total: 1314.5mm = near average

Edited by TonyH

Interesting. The month here started off very dull, but it seems things picked up later on. The Church Fenton station is no longer reporting for some odd reason so I don't know the numbers.

Was waiting for you to notice - Church Fenton weather station closed on 19th December - as was expected with the closure of the air base and highlighted in this Met Office report from last April -http://www.gasgovernance.co.uk/sites/default/files/Land%20Networks%20Quarterly%20Report%20-%20Utilities%20-%20April%202013.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Those December rainfall maps are surprising to say the least. It wasn't nearly as wet as it seemed, perhaps due to rainfall being more prolonged than heavy.

Here at least, it was due to the fact that the first half of December was very dry, then the rest of the month was a total deluge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Was waiting for you to notice - Church Fenton weather station closed on 19th December - as was expected with the closure of the air base and highlighted in this Met Office report from last April -http://www.gasgovernance.co.uk/sites/default/files/Land%20Networks%20Quarterly%20Report%20-%20Utilities%20-%20April%202013.pdf

I wasn't aware of that. That's very disappointing. Even less people have accurate weather conditions now. I am less than impressed with the current situation, to be honest. Makes me even more envious of the Americans and their extremely comprehensive NOAA database.

I am tempted to go on a rant about how the crap the Met Office is, but I won't. I love them really (and it isn't their fault).

Edited by cheese