Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summer Sun

Daffodil watch late 2012 / 2013

Well the final day of December is here and the Daffodil's are starting to make an appearance here also making an appearance is the crocus

Anyone else spotted next springs daffs and or crocuses starting to make an early appearance during this mild end to the year?

If you haven't spotted any daffs and or crocuses have you spotted new growth on trees or bushes if so post it here

Not dafodill related sorry but I have noticed some trees seem to be spurting into life with leaves growing already (Might be more to come with how mild it will get later on this week)

Popping up here Gavin, very brave.. Last year they had popped up at Christmas after the cold spell.

Some buds forming to on the shrubs, nature thinks it's spring.

But we know better, we are only being 4 weeks into winter...

Yup, daffs and crocuses have been popping their heads through since early Decemberdrinks.gif

Not daffodil related sorry but I have noticed some trees seem to be spurting into life with leaves growing already (Might be more to come with how mild it will get later on this week)

I have 2 buddleia trees and both are starting to get there new growth

The daffs did the same last year they were popping through on Xmas day

Noticed tulip shoots rising yesterday - not seen that so early in years.

Not plant related but the Robins are flirting for mates again, 5 in the garden this morning.. not so solitary at the mo (-:

Unfortunately the Trevarno Estate has been sold recently and is no longer open to the public.

A collection of daffodils which attracted visitors from around the world is to be removed after the sale of a Cornish estate.

More than 2,500 varieties were planted in a field at Trevarno near Helston.

The new owners of the house and gardens want privacy and are in talks to have the bulbs lifted from the fields.

Ron Scamp, one of the three growers who compiled the collection, said it was "unlikely" it would stay together.

The Trevarno collection, which started in 2008, was built up by Mr Scamp, a Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) gold medal winner, and Mark Vandervliet, who runs a daffodil company in Cornwall.

It was boosted in 2009 by the arrival of more than 1,000 cultivars from Dutch daffodil collector Carlos Vanderveek.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-20864213

Do some strains of daffs pop up earlyer than others..?

Nothing here. Even the snowdrops haven't appeared — hopefully not dead from the continouous water logging.

I don't expect they'll be especially early since the last few months have been below average temperatures.

I do recall the earliest ever year for them here a cold start to winter relented soon after Christmas and many plants seemed to have had the required vernalisation and really grew away exceptionally once they broke dormancy.

That was the only time I've seen Daffodils open in February.

A short spell of really mild sunny weather in Feb moves things along far quicker than weeks of mildness in dead of winter though.

Early blooming is a desirable trait so far as breeders are concerned and they have been bringing out types which bloom much earlier than in the past.

Nothing of real growth here other than maybe a cm or two. I can remember this time last year they were nearly 2-3 inches above the ground and was worried thinking they would flower too early, however even this early growth didn't result in them flowering until March time. If this January is to begin mild and finish cool/cold the growth will soon slow.

Lol daffodil watch is like a 'brown leaf on the trees' watch at the end of June/beginning of July blum.gif

Can't wait for the increasing 'heat' of spring & summer eh Gav

Daffodils are an indicator of rising soil temperatures.

Some of the farmers think that when the first one has opened it is time to apply fertiliser as grass is beginning to grow.

The differences between the different regions can be dramatic.

Cornwall 18th January 2011

http://www.geograph....k/photo/2236600

Don't forget the preceding December was one of the coldest ever recorded!

A sheltered sunny spot can be much earlier than a cold north facing slope.

http://www.geograph....uk/photo/652660 - 6th January 2008

To the extent they can even be open before New Year

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1645065 - 30th December 2009 in Torquay.

I am usually amazed by pictures like this as here even the earliest small kinds do not begin to open until mid-March and mainly they are an April flower.

http://www.geograph....k/photo/1760616 - 19th March 2011 in Leeds

I remember a weekend in Scotland late May and the larger yellow type were still in flower around Braemar!

I hate to be a party pooper but in order to gauge if nature is more advanced/earlier growth than usual, you have to apply a basic rule....You have to watch/measure the same patch of ground or individual plant/group of bulbs annually. Daffodils can flower any time between January and May due to the different species available, so you have to be certain you're checking species against same species. My Dafs are late flowerers, there are no sign of them growing yet but I wouldn't expect there to be for at least another 6-8 weeks.

The easiest way to do it is check your own garden, in mine the Snowdrops are up, if the weather continues to be so benign, I'd estimate they'd be flowering in roughly three weeks time, making them roughly three weeks earlier than average. If the weather turns cold, they'll do what all bulbs do and simply go into suspended animation ready to spurt when it warms up again. The same applies to trees and shrubs, often they'll show signs of winter growth if the weather has been mild but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll continue to grow, they too will hold on if it turns cold. This early growth only causes real problems if it happens later in the late Winter/early Spring and we then get late, sharp frosts - an unfurled leaf or flower will be burnt by the frost.

No daffodils here but when I was out dog walking this morning I noticed some trees and shrubs with blossoms on them, actually in flower, not sure what type/species, also notice a Magnolia tree/shrub and the buds are not far off opening

No daffodils here but when I was out dog walking this morning I noticed some trees and shrubs with blossoms on them, actually in flower, not sure what type/species, also notice a Magnolia tree/shrub and the buds are not far off opening

There are some shrubs which are winter flowering, Mahonia, Skimmia and Viburnum are all in full flower, as they should be at this time of year. Magnolias put on big fat flower bud growth in the previous years so they can look as though they're almost ready to flower, long before they actually do.

....I've got some bulbs coming up in my raised beds, I've got no idea if they are daffs or not though...I can't remember what I planted doh.gif

Oh and my winter jasmine is flowering, it obviously hasn't realised it's not winter yet angel.gif

I don't expect they'll be especially early since the last few months have been below average temperatures.

I do recall the earliest ever year for them here a cold start to winter relented soon after Christmas and many plants seemed to have had the required vernalisation and really grew away exceptionally once they broke dormancy.

A short spell of really mild sunny weather in Feb moves things along far quicker than weeks of mildness in dead of winter though.

Early blooming is a desirable trait so far as breeders are concerned and they have been bringing out types which bloom much earlier than in the past.

I wouldn't say that here, we have had normal average temperatures..nothing below in the slightest. sad to say.

There are some shrubs which are winter flowering, Mahonia, Skimmia and Viburnum are all in full flower, as they should be at this time of year. Magnolias put on big fat flower bud growth in the previous years so they can look as though they're almost ready to flower, long before they actually do.

The magnolia is in mums garden she reckons it doesn't normally have these buds until end of feb.