Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Nice to see Autumn arrive. Deer in the paddock at the back on Wednesday. Birds have begun to come back to the seed hoppers on the feeder . Water is always kept topped up. Squirrel has been about the last few days. The autumn leaves are in their golden hues. Back to clear nights at last....

Posted

Cracking peaceful morning down at the local country park yesterday. The usual robins, blue tits, the ubiquitous squirrels, Moorhens, Mallards and Swans. Plus Charlie the Cormorant is still in residence.

This bird is a hoot. It's completely oblivious of humans. The other morning it took a stroll along the path brushing my leg en route. Yesterday I was watching it feeding (I assume) and it's amazing the speed it travels underwater. It nips around like an exocet scattering mallards willy nilly and leaving swans hissing. Eventually it vanished.

Later I was sitting at the other end of the lake having a quiet smoke and thinking about prime number factorization as one does when up he popped. He settled on a low lying branch nearby for a wash and brush up.

post-12275-0-55611900-1443346759_thumb.j

post-12275-0-19276400-1443346775_thumb.j

Posted

Taking advantage of the great weather last week I went down to the local country park a few times. Saw a water vole swim to it's burrow which was a plus and a very brief glimse of a kingfisher. Charlie the cormorant is still in residence causing mayhem. The swans really don't like him and on one occasion a couple approached quietly hissing which he ignored until they got too close when he made a slightly threatening move towards them causing much splashing and hissing rising to a crescendo as they beat a hasty retreat. And yesterday I was sitting quietly having a smoke when Mr. Rat appeared.

post-12275-0-54116000-1443951843_thumb.j

post-12275-0-56945000-1443951865_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Quite an Autumn feel down the country park yesterday with leaves everywhere and water dripping off the canopy. Charlie the cormorant seems to have departed so the residents are happy. So not much else to report except whilst snapping an Autumn scene I was joined by the ubiquitous robin.

I watched the BBC doc, The Life Of the Oak yesterday. Brilliant.

post-12275-0-39599700-1444464443_thumb.j

post-12275-0-35183000-1444464464_thumb.j

post-12275-0-28528500-1444464479_thumb.j

post-12275-0-90542300-1444468842_thumb.j

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Slimbridge wildlife & wetlands trust have had their first Bewick Swan arrive this morning. Earliest arrival on record ( by one day). Early snow in northern Scandinavia and easterly winds all point towards an early migration.

• Like 1

Posted

The place where wolves could soon return

The last wolf in the UK was shot centuries ago, but now a "rewilding" process could see them return to Scotland. Adam Weymouth hiked across the Scottish Highlands in the footsteps of this lost species.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33017511?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

One of one of those once in a blue moon moments this morning when I was strolling around the lake. I nearly got some very good photos but not quite unfortunately.

I was sitting quietly when the peace was shattered out in the middle of the lake as Charlie the Cormorant surfaced with a large eel, Mayhem ensued during which the eel got wrapped around Charlie's neck. I lost them then as they went under but I think the eel got away. Anyway Charlie came ashore for a wash and brush up and to explain it was this size guvnor.

post-12275-0-96581400-1446318218_thumb.j

post-12275-0-62223900-1446318232_thumb.j

post-12275-0-16698600-1446318250_thumb.j

post-12275-0-55912600-1446318270_thumb.j

post-12275-0-33873800-1446318290_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Fantastic pictures of the eel and cormorant Knocker!  I just got back from a walk with gorgeous big blewits, now awaiting a spore print and plucking up the courage to cook them ,as last time I was ill (not cooked properly). I love autumn walks, so many smells.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Another nice shot Knock, Your pretty handy with the camera i must say.

• Like 2

Posted

I must admit to a little touching up PM.

:shok:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I haven't been down to the lake for a while and in the interim Charlie the Cormorant seems to have gone. Still plenty of Robins singing away and Sidney of the bushy tail still nibbling the odd nut. A swan nearly removed my finger when I was giving him one.

post-12275-0-68825700-1448454305_thumb.j

post-12275-0-88410500-1448454329_thumb.j

Posted

It's quite amusing watching the sparrows cavorting around the Hydrangea bush in my front garden. There's about half a dozen of them but the little buggers don't stay still for long.

On another note about three weeks ago I put a bird table and feeder out the back. Yet to see a single bird. Must be in a bird free zone apart from the sparrows.

post-12275-0-73210300-1448575336_thumb.j

Posted

Tarantulas evolved blue colour 'at least eight times'

Tarantulas have evolved almost exactly the same shade of vibrant blue at least eight separate times.

That is the conclusion of a study by US biologists, exploring how the colour is created in different tarantula species.

The hue is created by tiny structures inside the animals' hairs, but those shapes vary across the family tree.

This suggests, the researchers say, that the striking blue is not driven by sexual selection - unlike many other bright colours in the animal kingdom.

This argument is also supported by the fact that tarantulas have poor colour vision, and do not appear to show off their hairy blue body parts during courtship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34944735

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Just some of the photos I mannaged to snap from our wonderful but very very windy visit to Donna nook.

Was fantastic to see the seals in their own wild habitat and the babies are soooo cute hahapost-22978-0-73987200-1448831209_thumb.jpost-22978-0-13979800-1448831237_thumb.jpost-22978-0-88773900-1448831272_thumb.jpost-22978-0-77706300-1448831299_thumb.jpost-22978-0-14964800-1448831334_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Thank you, it was fab...even if the weather was shocking.

It's well worth the visit to Donna nook, think its the largest grey seal colony to Grace out shores during winter to have their babies.

They disappear back into the sea beginning of January.

Fab volunteer wardens there too, protecting the seals and are more than helpful and very knowledgeable with any questions too!

Great day out, and free too...what more can you ask for haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

It's well worth the visit to Donna nook, think its the largest grey seal colony to Grace out shores during winter to have their babies.

Fab volunteer wardens there too, protecting the seals and are more than helpful and very knowledgeable with any questions too!

Hi SNOW PLEASE! I agree with Knocker, nice photos, especially the one posing upside down, very cute. Can you stroke them, or would they bite your fingers off? :vava: 

• Like 1

Posted

Hey lassie!

No you can't stroke them unfortunately as they are only pups and still feeding off mum, if the pup goes back to mum smelling of humans she would abandon the pup :(

And yes they probably would give you a good bite Haha. Very tempting to stroke one though, they are so cute hehe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 30/11/2015 at 11:35 AM, **SnowPlease** said:

It featured in an interesting episode of Open Country, Lincolnshire Coast Revival, on R4 this morning.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Took advantage of a weather window and popped down to the local lake yesterday. Haven't been down much lately. All pretty quiet, Charlie the Cormorant has departed, a couple of Canada Geese have flown in and the usual Robins and Great Tits flltting about. But great joy I did catch a glimpse of the resident Kingfisher. And I mean glimpse as he is an elusive blighter. So need to settle for the tranquil beauty of a young swan just caught by a watery winter sun.

Swan.thumb.jpg.fd1d7a176a88a857d96dfcf92

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nice photo Knokcer

One big problem I've got with the mild weather ignoring the lawn that needs cutting badly is blanket weed. Normally appears when the frogs spawn but with the none winter extended autumn or new spring whatever you want to call it  it's thriving. I suspect I will have to throw all the pond weed away in spring and replace it unless I can find a way of controlling it which is unlikely.