Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

2018 IS THE CENTENARY OF WHITE-TAILED EAGLES BECOMING EXTINCT IN THE UK. BUT FOLLOWING THEIR RE-INTRODUCTION TO SCOTLAND, THERE'S NOW CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION WITH OVER 100 PAIRS CURRENTLY AT LARGE.

https://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/outdoorfeatures/sea-eagle-success-story-on-centenary-of-their-extinction

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

2018 IS THE CENTENARY OF WHITE-TAILED EAGLES BECOMING EXTINCT IN THE UK. BUT FOLLOWING THEIR RE-INTRODUCTION TO SCOTLAND, THERE'S NOW CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION WITH OVER 100 PAIRS CURRENTLY AT LARGE.

https://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/outdoorfeatures/sea-eagle-success-story-on-centenary-of-their-extinction

PM...

Wonderful news....

I am an observer/follower/have been known to help at Rutland -

where a similar piece of work was undertaken in an attempt to establish Ospreys back into England.

Their history is similar. The last ones in England were recorded 150 years ago.

They went down to less than 10 pairs in Scotland in the late 19th century and almost died out. (around 5 pairs?).

A re-stocking program in Scotland from Norway started the revival.

By the mid to late 20th Century around 100 pairs had re-colonised Scotland, and it was decided that we should try and re-colonise England.

This was done between 1997 and 2005 in several small groups, by removal of very young chicks from nests in Scotland and transporting them down to Rutland were they were fed until they were ready to migrate (to Central Africa).

After 2 or 3 years the first ones returned and started building their own nests around Rutland - had chicks and replenished the numbers.

Others migrated to North Wales, the Lake District and  also the lakes of Northern England and southern Scotland.

There are now nearly 10 nesting pairs in and around Rutland, and each year they now rear about 15 to 20 chicks. 

It is a fabulous story.

More details below -

http://ukospreys.uk/arrivals.htm

For full details of the Rutland project (including webcam) see the following -

http://www.ospreys.org.uk/

MIA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just been watching Mr Rat scuttle around pinching the bird food. Shall I get my gun or the poison?

Problem solved by Mr Sparrow Hawk. No more of Mr Rat. 

Posted

Osprey Green BF has returned to SWT Balgavies, 28th March, a week or so earlier than last year.

The hide will be stowed out over Easter, but I might manage an evening visit later this week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, ciel said:

Osprey Green BF has returned to SWT Balgavies, 28th March, a week or so earlier than last year.

The hide will be stowed out over Easter, but I might manage an evening visit later this week.

Ciel...

Very pleased to see we have an interest in common.:D

I am watching out for 30(05) returning today to Rutland, she is satellite tagged and was last reported about 200 miles from the French coast. I hope the southerly winds push her on in front of all the rainfall.

MIA 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

I was lucky enough to witness the return to Balgavies, last year, alone in the hide, as the others had given up hope. (as posted in this thread) She was later than expected and there had been growing concern. But I had noticed that afternoon, that the resident crows, cormorant and heron appeared to be in a flap. The cormorants normally roost in the tree where the nest is.

2v9f9qw_th.jpg.82b2c78e57ed6ccc09a9c604044d03a6.jpg 2017 arrival

<br:><a href=%22http-::oi57.ti.textClipping

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 24/03/2018 at 09:02, knocker said:

Aerial ballet

ballet.thumb.jpg.767c182fdecd45cbffc3d7f732878f09.jpg

Lovely rooks and jackdaws. I don't think I have ever seen either in my garden (crows and magpies are obviously in abundance, eating everything and scaring small birds away).

Edited by cheese

Posted

Very annoyed grey squirrel in my garden. Use to enjoy pinching stuff off the bird table. Scaring away the small birds as he gorged himself. 

New regime this morning as I had put a grill around the table. Little birds can get in ok but Mr Squirrel can't. Talk about stamping your feet and shaking your tail. I am sure a few of  the little birds were gesticulating with two feathers at the end if their wings.  

Edited by Snipper

Posted

While having coffee outside on this fine spring morning, I noticed that a pair of Bluetits and a pair of Tree Sparrows appeared to be vying for rights to the nest box.  I had thought the bluies were established as they have been visiting the box for a few weeks now. However, they may have been ousted.

This lad is sitting directly above the nest box and I think Mrs is within, whilst the Bluetits are calling from an adjacent tree.

5acb2c196db66_TreeSp.thumb.jpg.190c3deb0fd77a799987c0abb6850972.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

On a similar theme down at the country park there is a tree with a hole about three quarters of the way up and up to a couple of weeks ago a couple of Jackdaws were apparently going to use it for nesting. But since then plot has thickened and a couple of days ago Sidney was observed poking his nose out and outside the Jackdaws were having a go and giving it some welly

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Did they download the METO app I wonder?

Hope so, knocker.

A single swallow has been recorded around here a couple of days ago.

My eyes will be peeled 18th - 21st April this being the usual timeframe for the return of my resident ones.

Posted

An unusual but welcome garden visitor this morning. I can't remember the last time I spotted a Kestrel in this area.

5ad4e91fc7e06_Kes16_04.thumb.jpg.e70c752302de469569b8b1c552a4cb74.jpg

Pic shot through window.  Although not fazed by the Bluetit, a Magpie chased it away before I could creep up closer.

A Magpie pair appear to have chosen my Holly tree as a nest site, which is not quite so welcome

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Had a rare visitor to my garden today - a jay. They're quite shy and usually stick to heavily wooded areas so it was nice to see.

Didn't stay for long though as a magpie chased it away.

Posted

Popped into SWT Balgavies for an hour or so this afternoon.

The Osprey buzzed by gulls..

5ad7944415eb5_Ospbuzzed.thumb.jpg.5d2f7bb4d9049434b9abb5f350829af0.jpgThe Osprey was fairly stationary in defending its territory. I understand it stood firm all afternoon.

Runway

5ad794971c438_Swanincoming.thumb.jpg.4fdc8379af56c5d6977a7516482527f9.jpg This was one of three Mutes which swanned in. They were given short shrift by the resident pair

A fine male Redpoll

5ad794b4ba9d0_Redpollmale.thumb.jpg.f459e7e22dfb910d5966bb9017a80009.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...