Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

Streuth it was a Jackdaw feste in the garden just now. Quite surreal and like something out of our very own Daphne's handbook. :)

Edited by knocker

Posted

Birdwatchers charter planes to Orkney to spot American blackbird never before seen in the UK

Birdwatchers have chartered four planes to fly to Orkney to spot a blackbird which has never been seen before in the UK. 

The red-winged blackbird is an American species which was spotted by a local bird observatory on the island of North Ronaldsay on Saturday. 

Now scores of  twitchers have taken advantage of the Bank Holiday weekend and chartered planes to go and see the rare bird, which was spotted by Simon Davies, principal assistant warden of the North Ronaldsay Bird Observatory. 

TELEMMGLPICT000127322725-large_trans_NvB

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/30/birdwatchers-charter-planes-spot-rare-american-blackbird-orkney/

• Like 2

Posted

A few observations from this evening:-

Not many swallows about yet. He's still on his ownsome.

swall10.thumb.jpg.bfc582015e2b0ce4f68abd5bd0a057d3.jpg

In full song despite the gloom and chilly breeze. (he's still up there singing as I type)

5907993dd68c0_blackio.thumb.jpg.a9b0021229346bb1eaa3dda7f58de832.jpg

Blossom from a self-seeded wild cherry tree.

gean10.thumb.jpg.3f98da26114524a8271a98183c35243a.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Shy singing dogs make first public appearance for 28 years

The survival of an ancient species of dog in the remote inland mountains of New Guinea has been confirmed by scientists.

An international team from Indonesia’s University of Papua has captured photographs of the New Guinea highland wild dog, known as the “singing dog” because of its melodious howl, during an expedition to the island’s highest mountain.

It is the first confirmed sighting of one of the animals in the wild for nearly 30 years.

It is thought the dogs are probably the same species as the New Guinea singing dog, an animal that has been bred in captivity from several pairs taken from the region in the 1950s and 1970s but seen in the wild only once since. Scientists suspect that the dogs are the evolutionary forebears of dingos, Australia’s native dogs.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/shy-singing-dogs-makes-first-public-appearance-for-28-years-dh2gkszlg

• Like 2

Posted

A swans mating ritual is fascinating to watch Unfortunately this morning I just caught the finale but I think it can safely be said that the earth moved for both.

59089cd309034_swansb.thumb.jpg.4d750c9a0575c165d432f6a3381f79d2.jpg59089ce461250_swans2b.thumb.jpg.46b65fa3ae463db81e3ea4bebce5a43a.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

It's a trifle odd at the moment down at the lake as most of the Mallards seem to have gone. There were half a dozen males around today but I only saw one female. The Wigeon has also gone with them. Anyway the there appears to be one Little Grebe chick which I was lucky enough to spot because it's very tiny and spends much of the time under water. For those reasons plus the fact where it was tricky vis the position of the sun I found it impossible to get a decent photo but you see it on the left of the photo

grebe 4.jpgchick.thumb.jpg.d33ca1538ac69af254fbcf54b65f5e67.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Checked out the local Sand Martin colony this afternoon and it was not exactly a hive of activity - maybe three pairs around. They were too fast and I was not sharp enough to catch them on camera.

590cbae9b1183_Smartin1.thumb.jpg.9207b40c4197b2365ff6e39e9b159851.jpg

The wagtail kept a close eye on proceedings,  however.

590cbb3b36c2c_waggie2.thumb.jpg.7c9f7863938de8fc9cee85efa6ec6bcc.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just spotted this Blackbird nest which has picked a nice spot on one of the shelves in the Garage tucked up to the chimney sweep..20170506_134321.thumb.jpg.851d0322a56fa091cc33d978da14428b.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, ciel said:

I listened to this live - quite beautiful. Not sure about the human contribution to the chorus, though.

Funny enough I thought that as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
58 minutes ago, knocker said:

Four duckling's around this morning

d.thumb.jpg.ab4f7810272d624cc71eaf307c1b3ed0.jpgda2.thumb.jpg.e69600551adfbb0b39cf53be2abc58c5.jpgdb.thumb.jpg.178e404f0b70630b0a501ecd53fcd476.jpg

de.thumb.jpg.869d02545d84e9901ef8e2387ea84b1d.jpg

So far today, I've seen two small tortoiseshell butterflies and a stray apostrophe...Or was it a comma!:shok:

Posted

Swans pay price for a few bad eggs

Swans have been unfairly stigmatised as aggressive by the antics of a handful of bad boys, a study has found.

A swan nicknamed Mr Asbo gained infamy in 2012 when he had to be relocated after attacking rowing boats on the River Cam and causing a scull to capsize after mounting it. Another swan, believed to be his grandson, was dubbed Asbaby in 2015 after pecking punters and kayakers on the same river.

The world’s largest study of aggression among birds has found that their behaviour was exceptional and swans were no more or less likely to be aggressive than other waterbirds. Some individuals spent as much as a third of their lives strutting about and trying to fight their neighbours but these types could be found in many species.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/swans-pay-price-for-a-few-bad-eggs-m55mv0bbs

• Like 2

Posted

Scotland is a wonderful place to live, 21 billion midges can't be wrong. :nea:

After a mild winter the midge population is expected to explode this year. You have been warned!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

We've got lots of tadpoles in our lake and stream, some legs are already developing. I have a hard job keeping our puppy away as he is fascinated by them and dunks his head in to try and get his own strange version of live caviar!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
15 hours ago, frogesque said:

Scotland is a wonderful place to live, 21 billion midges can't be wrong. :nea:

After a mild winter the midge population is expected to explode this year. You have been warned!

Hi Frogesque, might they be gone by Sept ?  I shall be in your home area then for a holiday :)
I'm terribly prone to insect bites !

B.

While I'm here. Lovely to see the house martins arrive in my E. Yorks village today.   :)