Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

I believe this is a mature male and an indication that the breeding season is nearly upon us but I could be hopelessly wrong about this.so anyone feel free to correct me.

58b85252bd86f_black4.thumb.jpg.a17b17862d245659a4e3dc809c65683b.jpg

And I was taking a quick snap of an old tree trunk, as one does, that had what looked like fossilized fungi attached, when of course there could be no show without punch

58b8530d891f0_punch3.thumb.jpg.d4584e63ea0690d08adce72476697312.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I noticed a group of these gulls in deepest Aberdeenshire yesterday. They appeared not to have started their moult yet. I wonder whether that's due to shorter day-length or colder temperatures?

Posted

Woodpeckers have been absent from the garden over the winter, but come spring they appear to be back. I have heard the "drumming" for a few weeks now.

Woodp10.thumb.jpg.e779efc83387452ba07d4cc6683ce22d.jpg

This one is a bit soggy, given the weather up here...... ( pic taken through glass and rain )

Edited by ciel
  • Like 7

Posted

Siskins have been  regular visitors to the feeders during the  winter months.  This one turned up with a female today.  Their breeding season starts mid-March and so I suppose they will be away in a week or two.

58bc672e06e8d_malesisk034.thumb.jpg.be90293ef53e18da28de0f8028bce65c.jpg    58bc671262b51_malesisk033.thumb.jpg.631ecffb6ee41964e6b795876e2fe629.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
21 minutes ago, ciel said:

Siskins have been  regular visitors to the feeders during the  winter months.  This one turned up with a female today.  Their breeding season starts mid-March and so I suppose they will be away in a week or two.

58bc672e06e8d_malesisk034.thumb.jpg.be90293ef53e18da28de0f8028bce65c.jpg    58bc671262b51_malesisk033.thumb.jpg.631ecffb6ee41964e6b795876e2fe629.jpg

I particularly like the 2nd one.

• Like 3

Posted

Fly-over states matter when understanding -- and saving -- migratory birds

Around the world, thousands of migratory animals travel hundreds or even thousands of miles each year. The journey of migratory animals is more important than their destination. Scientists use the endangered Kirtland's warblers to show how connecting all migration's points can chart a way to sustainability.

In the most recent issue of the journal Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene, Michigan State University (MSU) researchers take a broad, holistic look at Kirtland's warblers' migration between the jack pine forests of Michigan and the Bahamas to get a better understanding of what sort of needs the songbirds have along the way, and what kind of ecological and socioeconomic impacts their annual distant movement have across the world.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-03/msu-fsm030617.php

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I saw some Canadian geese fly south yesterday:cc_confused:

Posted

Tasmanian devils helped to fight off facial tumour disease with live cancer cell injection

Scientists reveal they have for the first time successfully treated Tasmanian devils suffering from the deadly devil facial tumour disease.

The breakthrough is hoped to speed-up development of an effective vaccine, which can be administered to devils in the wild.

The successful treatments have been made on captive animals, with scientists injecting live cancer cells into the infected devils to make their immune system recognise the disease and fight it off.

6952866-3x2-700x467.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-09/scientists-successfully-treat-devils-for-tumour-disease/8339630

• Like 2

Posted

Had another visitor to the lake today, although apparently it's been around a couple of days. Decided to perch in a tree on the island so difficult to get clear line of sight.

58c40262dcc5e_E2a.thumb.jpg.9f97d8689cb777a7afd223e0e69102a8.jpg58c40272e1b69_E3b.thumb.jpg.ec5d41604fa800f762b1fecb3462b09b.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, ciel said:

Yes.  I came across this link after viewing your post, but maybe you have too. Interesting though:-

http://www.cornwall-birding.co.uk/tag/cattle-egrets-in-cornwall/

No I hadn't seen this link but I did find another with sightings in Devon today. As you say interesting.

Posted

Spotted a trio of parakeets today a bright prescience in Rotherhithe no picture though. They're becoming an increasingly more common sight here. :) 

Posted

Not sure whether or not parakeets are welcome in the IK.

But I loved watching them in Roses, in Spain - they're treated as a bit of a pest there too

A pic from an old flickr account of mine

Monk Parakeet Chicks | Ciel4682 | Flickr.webarchive

I don't know if this pic will upload.

Edited by ciel

Posted

The Egret was still around this morning on the island. It briefly became visual as it popped down on the ground but it wasn't happy there and quickly transferred to some reeds.

CE 3a.jpg58c801884cb7e_CE2a.thumb.jpg.4d1b48e8d8b565c34abb095dbbd07001.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The birds are getting much more active round about and in the garden, lots of interest in both nesting boxes again this year which is good news.

• Like 2

Posted

Spiders eat astronomical numbers of insects

Spiders feed on an estimated 400 to 800 million tons of insects and other pests annually; in comparison, all humans consume about 400 million tons in meat and fish

A new study reveals some stunning estimates about how much the world's spiders eat annually: between 400 and 800 million tons of insects and other invertebrates. These eight-legged carnivores play an important role to keep countless insect pests in check.

170314111251_1_900x600.jpg

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170314111251.htm

• Like 2

Posted

These are probably a domestic mallard cross, but they are quite beautiful birds (imho)  and definitely have spring on their mind.

Fancy_Ducks.thumb.jpg.06714fb4b9bd3cace9f5977172bab90f.jpg

• Like 2