Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

Took a run to recycling centre this morning  with a load and really noticed how autumnal everything looked,the frost of ten days ago has set the autumn colours off in the banks of bracken, beech trees with the rowans are now very red . Nice sunny day but humid ,currently 21c

• Like 2

Posted
On 23/08/2016 at 16:15, knocker said:

Need some help here please. I think this is a Nuthatch but not certain. The photos aren't the sharpest as I was just about on max zoom.

W.jpgW 3.jpg

A grey wagtail.

Nuthatch has a wee short tail.

Edit for @knocker - you finally managed to track it down (pics below) and a fine job on the editing.:good:

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 2

Posted

I took a very quick photo this morning which was a total disaster as I had the camera on the wrong settings. Out of focus, underexposed, you name it. Anyway merely out of interest I fiddled around with it and it's passable. This is a Nuthatch (I think). I hasten to add I wouldn't normally fiddle around to this extent. :)

Nut 3.jpgNut 2.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Rescued this lady out of the cat's litter tray. I'm devastated to find one back leg missing - after some quick googling - she's now been taken down the road to a bramble hedge.

20160825_163308-1.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Today's offering - a field of cows and cattle egrets. On enlarging, just noticed the bull is in with them! The numbers of little egrets are growing steadily and I've even seen the big version but no camera to hand. It looks like a big white heron.

20160827_115310-1.jpg

Tombeboeuf village in the background.

Great capture @knocker

Just to add another insect visitor today. Think they go up to the eaves to lay their eggs as you can see where the old papery cases have been.

20160827_152410.jpg

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 2

Posted

More youngsters have found their wings today. They have been fluttering about the barn for a day or two, four of them, I think.

swallows fam2.jpgswallows fam3.jpg

Edited by ciel
  • Like 3

Posted

I am almost certain this is the poorly blackbird, pics of which I have posted previously.  He appeared from his usual roosting place. Photo taken at a distance through kitchen window – so not the best! – but I think he is re-growing his head feathers.:)

bald blackbird 6.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, ciel said:

I am almost certain this is the poorly blackbird, pics of which I have posted previously.  He appeared from his usual roosting place. Photo taken at a distance through kitchen window – so not the best! – but I think he is re-growing his head feathers.:)

bald blackbird 6.jpg

That's excellent news.

On another subject I thoroughly enjoyed the four part doc. Highlands: Scotland's Wild Heart, albeit the commentary was a bit ugg

A young Dunnock today

young Dunnock.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

No grey squirrels here are there they are making a right mess of the trees barking them,imports from Europe no good tree rats.

Anyone seen any black squirrels anywhere.

Loved the red squirrels long long time ago when we saw them.

Posted
16 hours ago, ciel said:

bald blackbird 6.jpg

Now there's an interesting one - this bird has the bright yellow beak and plumage of an adult male whereas the other pictures showed a female or juvenile beak. Was your bald bird a juvenile getting adult feathers or is this a different bird altogether? Your previous images below for comparison.

Bald blackbird  25.07.16.jpg             bald blackbird 3 01.08.2016.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, Nouska said:

Now there's an interesting one - this bird has the bright yellow beak and plumage of an adult male whereas the other pictures showed a female or juvenile beak. Was your bald bird a juvenile getting adult feathers or is this a different bird altogether? Your previous images below for comparison.

Bald blackbird  25.07.16.jpg             bald blackbird 3 01.08.2016.jpg

I, too, am not sure about the gender or age of the bird in the original photos, but it did have a very obvious bright yellow eye ring and the base of the beak was yellow - age wise, it was too mature for this to be a gape - the bird has been around since at least early July.

On 8 August 2016 at 18:49, ciel said:

Bald Blackbird - 4.jpg

In regard to yesterday's pic, yes, that is certainly a male and although it appears quite black, it did have a brownish tinge to the wings.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for any further sightings.

• Like 1

Posted

One of yesterday's visitors.  I don't feed birds during the summer, but weeds can be a good source of food for them.  (my excuse anyway :))

siskin 01.jpg

Siskin

• Like 3

Posted
40 minutes ago, knocker said:

322 reindeer killed by lightning

A director of the Norwegian Nature Inspectorate has found 322 dead reindeer in a small area in south of Hardangervidda. Probably they have been struck by lightning.

http://norwaytoday.info/news/322-reindeer-killed-lightning/

Quite extraordinary, knocker. :(

Posted
3 hours ago, knocker said:

322 reindeer killed by lightning

A director of the Norwegian Nature Inspectorate has found 322 dead reindeer in a small area in south of Hardangervidda. Probably they have been struck by lightning.

http://norwaytoday.info/news/322-reindeer-killed-lightning/

Very sad! It was a fierce day of storms in Norway. The radar/sat image at 3.30pm Friday shows an angry signature.

seviri-nwcsaf_crr1_20160826_1530.gif

Loving the picture of 'Burlington Bertie - when opened in a new tab and enlarged, the detail of the feet is just superb.

• Like 1