Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Outstanding early spring  morning here!

DSC06600.JPG

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

Visits from the odd Cormorant are fairly common place down at Tehidy lake, Cambornre,but unusually the one that dropped in for a while 5 years was quite tame and you could walk up to it while it had a dry out on the path

530111910_profile2.thumb.jpg.71192d4cb66fcc4408ec1513306b4833.jpg1007462591_profile3.thumb.jpg.1f5170f5cbc324bc8f52e03bf149e0d8.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted

Stork chicks deliver joy for rewilding team at Knepp estate

White stork chicks have hatched in the wild in the UK for the first time in centuries.

The parents were spotted last week regurgitating food for the chicks and removing eggshell from the nest in an oak on the Knepp estate in West Sussex.

The chicks are a victory for the White Stork Project, which was disappointed when eggs believed to be from the same pair failed to hatch last year. The alliance of private landowners and conservation groups hopes to have 50 breeding pairs in southern England by 2030.

The last successful breeding pair recorded in the wild in Britain nested on St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh in 1416.

There were five eggs in the nest and the team from the project have yet to confirm how many have hatched.

The female was brought by the project from Poland in 2016 and the male is likely to be one of about 20 vagrant storks that visit the UK each year.

Lucy Groves, project officer, said: “The parents have been working hard and are doing a fantastic job, especially after their failed attempt last year.

“These are early days for the chicks, and we will be monitoring them closely, but we have great hopes for them.”

Isabella Tree, owner of the Knepp estate, said: “There’s something so magical and charismatic about white storks when you see them wheeling around in the sky, and I love their association with rebirth and regeneration. They’re the perfect emblem for rewilding, a symbol of hope.

“It’s going to be amazing to have them back in the British countryside, bill-clattering on their nests in spring — perhaps even setting up nests on our rooftops.

“When I hear that clattering sound now, coming from the tops of our oak trees where they’re nesting, it feels like a sound from the Middle Ages has come back to life.”

The Times 16/05/29

stork.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

Stunning

Thanks to Birdlife Australia

Dusky Woodswallows – our pic of the week!

On a cold morning in QLD's Jimna Ranges, Ken Cross of Australian Bird Safaris came across a flurry of feathers. On closer inspection, Ken realised it was a cluster of roosting Dusky Woodswallows. What a shot!

bird.thumb.jpg.058d77346ce235bec022aed26f3caa85.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Just set up the camera with the remote phone shutter. Went off to sort the drinks and asked the OH to press the button if one of the parents came back. She took this....

OI000016.thumb.JPG.0566237935753b58a355231eda4ade40.JPG

I give up.

• Like 2

Posted

Video above was from yesterday.

We watched two of them fledge this morning.

IMG_20200530_075046512_HDR.thumb.jpg.f324111907cc38303fb20629696dca04.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hi guys. Checked my wildlife camera down at the secluded part of the garden tonight to be pleasantly surprised by this ☺️

Apologies for the quality, I have zoomed in and screenshot! 

B8EA3A04-17FD-411D-8673-37C90E173C0E.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Posted
API.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

The primitive fishes, which scientists call “living fossils,” represent a new taxonomic...

• 1 month later...
Posted

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

Not my photo, high peak on Facebook shared this that I thought was good comparison at dragons summit. 

FB_IMG_1611755955235.jpg

Edited by Manchester_Sunset
  • Like 1

Posted

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted

Just seen two White Storks in the meadows near Downton. Local birder was there too to confirm.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It must have been a wonderful summer for wildlife: rowans are full of berries, stinging nettles are everywhere and all the buddleias are surrounded by clouds of peacocks and admirals . . . But, where have all the commas gone?

And -- presumably due to the cold spring -- I've nae seen a single wasp!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

It must have been a wonderful summer for wildlife: rowans are full of berries, stinging nettles are everywhere and all the buddleias are surrounded by clouds of peacocks and admirals . . . But, where have all the commas gone?

Can't really say that I've been noticing less wasps, but I have certainly seen hardly any moths. We normally see loads of them during the summer months.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I noticed the sloes are starting to turn colour Pete,  quite early really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Not many wasps this summer here, either but quite a few of these! A queen kept visiting in May, she was huge

CD5D0A81-96A4-40CF-B5C5-DF09A9C458AE.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Staying on the subject of airborne nasties, has anyone wondered why it is that mozzies eat some people but not others?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

My bird feeders are very busy atm as per usual at this time of year.. Having to fill them them up with fat balls and nuts every 3/4 days. Lots of Magpies about currently, will be keeping an eye on them in the plantation..

• 4 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just had a hummingbird hawk moth hovering around flowers in the garden. If you didn't know any better, you'd easily mistake it for a hummingbird.