Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

Close encounter as fawn fights off attack by golden eagle on Isle of Mull

291c417c-c341-11e7-9914-a38dcc178fcd.jpg291c417c-c341-11e7-9914-a38dcc178fcd.jpg291c417c-c341-11e7-9914-a38dcc178fcd.jpgeagle.thumb.jpg.fd9c92472330ef22df2e45926637ebfc.jpg

Dramatic photos have captured the "once in a life time" moment when a golden eagle swooped down to attack a fawn.

The remarkable images were shot by Dawid Banasiak, an amateur wildlife photographer, while on a nature tour.

Taken last month on the Isle of Mull on the west coast of Scotland, the images show the huge eagle grabbing the fawn by the head as it tries to run run away.

The young deer managed to escape the eagle’s talons and ran away with its mother.

Nature Scotland, a wildlife tour operator on the island, where Mr Banasiak was a guest, said it was a "once in a lifetime encounter".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/close-encounter-as-fawn-fights-off-attack-by-golden-eagle-on-isle-of-mull-sbrzsznzq?CMP=Sprkr-_-Editorial-_-thetimes-_-News-_-Imageandlink-_-Statement-_-Unspecified-_-TWITTER&linkId=44428421

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, knocker said:

That image is sure to add grist to the sheep farmers' mill - and to those who are anti lynx re-introduction projects.

Edited by ciel

Posted
3 hours ago, ciel said:

That image is sure to add grist to the sheep farmers' mill - and to those who are anti lynx re-introduction projects.

And this wont help either

Lillith the lynx blamed for seven sheep deaths in north Wales

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/07/lillith-the-lynx-blamed-for-seven-sheep-deaths-in-north-wales

Posted

Another very sad tale

The North Atlantic right whale faces extinction

HALIFAX, CANADA—In a sad reversal of fortune, the North Atlantic right whale is in deep trouble again after rebounding in recent decades from centuries of hunting. Recent population trends are so dire that experts predict the whale could vanish within 20 years, making it the first great whale to go extinct in modern times.

At a meeting of the Society for Marine Mammalogy here last month, whale experts reported that roughly 100 reproductively mature females remain, but they are not living long enough or reproducing quickly enough for the species to survive. Ship strikes have long been a threat, and fatal entanglements in commercial fishing gear are taking an increasing toll. And researchers have found that even when an entangled female doesn’t die, dragging ropes, buoys, or traps can exhaust her, making her less likely to reproduce.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/north-atlantic-right-whale-faces-extinction

Posted

Leopard seals on 'teenage adventures' lingering longer in Tasmania, experts say

There's been a spike in leopard seal sightings in Tasmania, with one juvenile female turning up to Seven Mile Beach on Hobart's eastern shore for months at a time.

Marine biologist Sam Thalmann said usually there were between three to five leopard seals spotted in Tasmania throughout the year.

"This year we've seen more than 10 individuals just over the last three and a half to four months," he said.

The seals spotted in Tasmania were usually "sub-adult" — not quite breeding size.

"In their young years, as they discover their range, they can disperse a lot further than the adults do," he said.

There seems to be more of the Antarctic predators on teenage adventures this year, but Mr Thalmann said such a spike happened every seven years or so.

"There is a little bit of a driver potentially due to different sea-ice levels in Antarctica," he said.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-07/leopard-seals-lingering-longer-in-tasmania/9122112?pfmredir=sm

• Like 2

Posted

Popped into SWT Balgavies briefly yesterday.

The resident Cormorant community

5a0568fcbef9a_Corm02.thumb.jpg.056cef16ffe7b06c291df7e592240f5f.jpg

The Greylags were somewhat annoyed at the intruder

5a05690cb4f50_grey-heron02.thumb.jpg.04598c903a440287f187cc231ac568da.jpg

Goldeneye drake

5a05691da1941_goldeneye02.thumb.jpg.3bbb56e9b4a7d6905193ec961b033782.jpg

Not sure about the ID of this duck. There was an entry in the log from a couple of days ago that there was a Redhead on the loch. I'll suggest Redhead drake transitioning from eclipse plumage, but if anyone knows better.......

5a0569355c58c_maleredhead.thumb.jpg.c7df47945c8964123b5cdbecbfd52273.jpg

Edited by ciel
  • Like 3

Posted

I have a massive tome entitled The Ants by Holldobler and Wilson which is fascinating read. You can one reason whu

THAT’S BERRY IMPRESSIVE! SUPER STRONG ANTS SHOW OFF INCREDIBLE SKILLS CARRYING FRUIT FIVE TIMES THEIR SIZE

0_CATERS_ANT_CARRIES_BALLOONS_01-768x115

https://www.storytrender.com/31018/thats-berry-impressive-super-strong-ants-show-off-incredible-skills-carrying-fruit-five-times-size/

• Like 3

Posted
On 11/8/2017 at 13:52, knocker said:

And this wont help either

Lillith the lynx blamed for seven sheep deaths in north Wales

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/07/lillith-the-lynx-blamed-for-seven-sheep-deaths-in-north-wales

Just heard about the demise of Lillith. :angry:

Posted
3 minutes ago, ciel said:

Just heard about the demise of Lillith. :angry:

I heard it on the news earlier. I can't say I'm surprised as I could see it coming if they didn't catch her quickly but it doesn't make me less angry

Posted

Sorry no very nice photos I am afraid but it is about the number of leaves to clear up this year compared to last. 

I'm a volunteer for one of The National Trust gardens. I am principally in charge of composting. Well someone has to do it. 

This year the leaves cleared up in the garden are substantially less than in 2016.  Their size is smaller than last year . Dry year?

I am a happy bunny as far less to keep turning over in the bins. Having said that there is still plenty of other stuff to recycle. 

Posted

Always pleased to see these Yellowhammers, especially when the numbers are reported as falling. That one puddle at this time of year seems to attract many different species. They all ignore the formal birdbath on the patio.

5a0dd6aa4f03a_YH020.thumb.jpg.01993e4b69eeb6b6df44ea6187127612.jpg

Go on - take the plunge.

(photo taken though double glazing)

• Like 3