Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

The Australian government is to spend more than £245 million to turn back an invasion of killer ants that are spreading fear across the Pacific.

The red fire ant, a native of South America that is responsible for scores of deaths in the United States because of the severe allergic reaction some people have to its sting, has colonised parts of northeast Australia and is spreading towards Sydney.

The aggressive ants attack en masse. They can also have a devastating impact on agriculture, with highly co-operative “super colonies” known to consume small livestock such as lambs and chickens and eat entire crops.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/time-running-out-to-contain-fire-ant-infestation/news-story/e2a8fec69451adc7731961cf2c09ee3d

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, knocker said:

The Australian government is to spend more than £245 million to turn back an invasion of killer ants that are spreading fear across the Pacific.

The red fire ant, a native of South America that is responsible for scores of deaths in the United States because of the severe allergic reaction some people have to its sting, has colonised parts of northeast Australia and is spreading towards Sydney.

The aggressive ants attack en masse. They can also have a devastating impact on agriculture, with highly co-operative “super colonies” known to consume small livestock such as lambs and chickens and eat entire crops.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/time-running-out-to-contain-fire-ant-infestation/news-story/e2a8fec69451adc7731961cf2c09ee3d

Enjoyed the sequence showing the search dogs at work.

On the subject of biting insects, this junior hedgehog from yesterday, was having a spot of bother.

597af51f01de5_Babyhedgehog1.thumb.jpg.56064571e1f69c9a395a885f7ee5ce48.jpg  597af52ceea94_Babyhedgehog2.thumb.jpg.28f4b4aa5e8515480055881218ce7cea.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

For some reason the Sparrows are quite partial to the plastic feeder i stuck on the back window  and it's quite amusing watching them this morning as, to put it mildly, they are looking a tad bedraggled as the they jockey for position on a perfectly foul morning. So a brif reminder of a better day yresterda:

Light and shade

59816cbb998dc_butt2.thumb.jpg.ee9054b50af9cc2894daac84de07a15a.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, knocker said:

The dappled glade

5981f10b17673_shady2.thumb.jpg.d1eaaac50c0d820b98f0d569900805df.jpg

A very tranquil pleasant scene, knocker.

Posted
Just now, ciel said:

A very tranquil pleasant scene, knocker.

It's quite a tranquil pleasant place all round, ciel, although perhaps not quite this time of year. :)

Posted

'Incredible': night herons breed for first time in UK

Two recently fledged night herons have been seen at Somerset’s Westhay Moor nature reserve, which suspects climate change drew their parents north

Night herons are among the most mysterious of birds, and for the first time in recorded history they have been spotted breeding in the UK.

Long-distance photographs captured the adult pair and one of their two offspring at the Westhay Moor national nature reserve, run by Somerset Wildlife Trust. The young birds have recently fledged, having been born either on Westhay Moor or the nearby Avalon Marshes.

The night heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) is unusual among the heron family in hunting for fish and frogs at night. They roost during the day can only usually be spotted at dawn and dusk.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/02/incredible-night-herons-breed-first-time-in-uk

• Like 1

Posted
On 8/2/2017 at 17:56, knocker said:

'Incredible': night herons breed for first time in UK

Two recently fledged night herons have been seen at Somerset’s Westhay Moor nature reserve, which suspects climate change drew their parents north

Night herons are among the most mysterious of birds, and for the first time in recorded history they have been spotted breeding in the UK.

Long-distance photographs captured the adult pair and one of their two offspring at the Westhay Moor national nature reserve, run by Somerset Wildlife Trust. The young birds have recently fledged, having been born either on Westhay Moor or the nearby Avalon Marshes.

The night heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) is unusual among the heron family in hunting for fish and frogs at night. They roost during the day can only usually be spotted at dawn and dusk.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/02/incredible-night-herons-breed-first-time-in-uk

The link below was contained in the link you posted above.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/jun/05/urban-herons-amsterdam-in-pictures

Puts our urban gull invasion in perspective. :)

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, ciel said:

The link below was contained in the link you posted above.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/jun/05/urban-herons-amsterdam-in-pictures

Puts our urban gull invasion in perspective. :)

Talking about a gull invasion, I've been down to Falmouth visiting an old friend who has been quite ill these last few weeks. Anyway we were back from town having done a load of shopping sitting quietly having a cup of tea when there was some very loud hammering on the window in the annex to the kitchen which looks out on the garage roof. I said what an earth's that,, oh she said that's Henry come for something to eat. Sure enough there was Henry the Herring waiting patiently. Apparently there was hell on and he gave the window some welly when she was laid up and nobody answered the call.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
25 minutes ago, knocker said:

Talking about a gull invasion, I've been down to Falmouth visiting an old friend who has been quite ill these last few weeks. Anyway we were back from town having done a load of shopping sitting quietly having a cup of tea when there was some very loud hammering on the window in the annex to the kitchen which looks out on the garage roof. I said what an earth's that,, oh she said that's Henry come for something to eat. Sure enough there was Henry the Herring waiting patiently. Apparently there was hell on and he gave the window some welly when she was laid up and nobody answered the call.

A fish - on the roof?!:shok:

• Like 1

Posted

The butterfly count is quite concerning this year, worse than 2016. However, on a better day last week I spotted three Small Tortoiseshells, two Red Admirals and several of the ubiquitous whites, but zero Peacocks or Painted Ladies, among the more common species that frequent the garden at this time of year. I have recorded a nil count on several days recently.  Bees and hoverflies also are scarce, locally anyway.

Two pics from last week:

tortie.thumb.jpg.ee3aea4d896c47ca4324ee390d15fa1d.jpg 5985ee38aa162_tortie2.thumb.jpg.5c04be603f6f94a585b409956f4f805a.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Nearly-caught sight of the little fella at a distance and he/she was still long enough for me to get a slightly out of focus shot.

59863c565630a_wren5.thumb.jpg.6e02e43b22a734d66d6b7a4385918cfa.jpg

And shake a leaf. You can see why they are so adept at clinging to trees. And the Kingfisher is around but have only caught fleeting glimpses.

59863cb9ed024_great3.thumb.jpg.f5f69552164adaa5a2e2b8f1dadc42dc.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

I saw the two Little Grebe chicks yesterday morning for the first time since earlier in the summer so they have survived okay. Up to now anyway

More Chaffinch's than I've seen for a while

5988b939bc558_chaff2.thumb.jpg.cb140d93534d4b1560a2353ba56eb102.jpg5988b9318d32e_chaffa2.thumb.jpg.a0edbe2b5b690954daa34f4b96f56772.jpg5988b94529afa_male2.thumb.jpg.8272d5a2a4920734d95d41a08807305b.jpg

And being this time of year Sid was on kids watch

alert.thumb.jpg.829eebd3b689b5c627b775c54782e494.jpg

But decided it was safe to get stuck in with claws at the ready

5988b9ad20af6_alerta.thumb.jpg.42d4c1b972393a11fb4732f53af7c726.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

The first ever images of a pine marten living in Yorkshire have been captured.

A single male pine marten was captured by NatureSpy on a wildlife camera trap on Forestry Commission land on the North York Moors. This is the first confirmed record of pine marten in the area for 24 years, and the first living record for approximately 35 years.

The Yorkshire Pine Marten Project, run by non-profit social enterprise NatureSpy in partnership with the Forestry Commission, began over four years ago with the hope of proving that these elusive creatures were calling Yorkshire home.

The ambitious project uses wildlife camera traps which monitor a particular area, 24/7, for months at a time and trigger when an animal passes in front of them, taking a picture or video.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
On 8/5/2017 at 17:12, ciel said:

The butterfly count is quite concerning this year, worse than 2016. However, on a better day last week I spotted three Small Tortoiseshells, two Red Admirals and several of the ubiquitous whites, but zero Peacocks or Painted Ladies, among the more common species that frequent the garden at this time of year. I have recorded a nil count on several days recently.  Bees and hoverflies also are scarce, locally anyway.

Two pics from last week:

I haven't seen any Tortoiseshells since Spring, but took part in the Garden Butterfly Count as was
able to include, several Whites, 9 Peacocks, 5 Red Admirals, 1 Comma, 1 Painted Lady and a Speckled Wood.
First time I've seen a Speckled Wood here in E. Yorks. :)

B.  

Peacock.JPG

Red Admiral.JPG

Speckled Wood.JPG

Edited by Beverley Lass
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I was pleased to see a little family of Long Tailed Tits in my Rowan tree

yesterday.  Not a great shot, but they're tricky to capture well aren't they :)

I think there was 4 or 5 youngsters.

B.

Baby LTT's.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

I was pleased to see a little family of Long Tailed Tits in my Rowan tree

yesterday.  Not a great shot, but they're tricky to capture well aren't they :)

I think there was 4 or 5 youngsters.

B.

Baby LTT's.JPG

A nice photo BL. They do tend to flit about. It's in the winter I tend to see them when they visit the feeders in small argumentative groups.

• Like 3

Posted

Lovelorn nightjar fails in 600-mile flight of fancy

A bird has flown more than 600 miles (965 km) over England in less than a week in a lonely quest for a mate.

University of York researchers followed the nightjar using a GPS tracker during the bird's breeding season.

The nightjar started his quest in the Humberhead Peatlands, before flying to Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, then Birmingham via Milton Keynes.

The team said the lovelorn bird had just weeks left to find a mate.

Live updates and more news from Yorkshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-40863155

• Like 2