Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

It was decidedly nippy down at the lake this morning and Sidney didn't stir. But the ol King was around again and I've been informed that it's a female as it has a yellow underside to the bill. Can anyone confirm that.thanks?

K 4.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Redwing 03.jpg

The garden has been quite quiet over recent days, but a small flock of Redwings landed in the trees this afternoon.

I’m having difficulty, however, in mastering the focus facility on my camera and think it must be necessary to have a PhD in understanding the Panasonic gobbledygook in the user manual

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

It was decidedly nippy down at the lake this morning and Sidney didn't stir. But the ol King was around again and I've been informed that it's a female as it has a yellow underside to the bill. Can anyone confirm that.thanks?

K 4.jpg

I believe the Kingfisher sexes can be differentiated by the colour of the lower mandible - the females having an orange/yellow tinge. 

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, ciel said:

Redwing 03.jpg

The garden has been quite quiet over recent days, but a small flock of Redwings landed in the trees this afternoon.

I’m having difficulty, however, in mastering the focus facility on my camera and think it must be necessary to have a PhD in understanding the Panasonic gobbledygook in the user manual

I know what you mean. I ended up buying a photographers guide to the Coolpix P610 and this isn't a seriously complicated camera. Actually turned out to be very useful.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

I know what you mean. I ended up buying a photographers guide to the Coolpix P610 and this isn't a seriously complicated camera. Actually turned out to be very useful.

I have bought  this guide The Panasonic Gx8 Menu System Simplified but have to confess not advancing past p3 as it is also a difficult and badly written text.  Must persevere though, some more night-time reading, I fear. :)

Posted
29 minutes ago, ciel said:

I have bought  this guide The Panasonic Gx8 Menu System Simplified but have to confess not advancing past p3 as it is also a difficult and badly written text.  Must persevere though, some more night-time reading, I fear. :)

Well look on the bright side, it's better than the MOD thread. :whistling:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Alien-looking shrimp of the desert appear in Central Australia after flooding rains

Heavy rains across Central Australia have brought about the ephemeral phenomenon of tiny shield shrimps hatching from years of obscurity in the middle of the desert.

Yet these shrimps are more sea monkey than edible foodstuff.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-13/shield-shrimps-in-central-australia-heavy-rains/8176744

• Like 3

Posted

A shortish walk in Glen Lethnot this afternoon.  No deep snow, but slippy underfoot. The corries had a semi-decent covering.

Glen Lethnot14.01.17.jpg

The Water of Saughs was quite icy. Spotted a Dipper there, but camera not ready.

Water_of_Saughs_14_01_17.jpg

Sidney, eat your heart out.

RedSqu Glen Lethnot 14.01.17 02.jpg RedSqu Glen Lethnot 14.01.17.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, ciel said:

A shortish walk in Glen Lethnot this afternoon.  No deep snow, but slippy underfoot. The corries had a semi-decent covering.

Glen Lethnot14.01.17.jpg

The Water of Saughs was quite icy. Spotted a Dipper there, but camera not ready.

Water_of_Saughs_14_01_17.jpg

Sidney, eat your heart out.

RedSqu Glen Lethnot 14.01.17 02.jpg RedSqu Glen Lethnot 14.01.17.jpg

Great photos. Poor Sidney.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Thrushes, Blackbirds and Robins all singing on and off for mates through the day for first time.

Though cloudy it's almost dead calm, so easier to hear them - and 5C has felt quite mild.

• Like 1

Posted

There are quite a few Black-headed Gulls on the lake at the moment. Not unusual as they tend to flock to reservoirs and lakes in the winter. 

The Black-headed Gull is an extremely successful species, adapting to man-made change to its environment very well. The species has to be controlled in some areas as they harass and predate higher risk species. Nonetheless, there numbers have declined sharply in recent years and so they are now amber list species of conservation concern.

Black 2.jpgBl 2.jpg

For heavens sake Sidney

Sid.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

A friend of mine took this picture of Seal Cove today. There are often far more seals there. As I don't drive I can't get to it very easily. The cove itself is inaccessible from land unless you are a mountaineer.

seal.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...