Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not wind, not rain.

Hi. No photos. We've watched Dunnock, Robin, Wren, H Sparrow, B Tit, G Tit, Starling, B Bird, Goldfinch, C Dove, Maggie, Fox and Hedgehog all in a garden that hasn't seen any of the above (since ownership of the property +10years) coming to feed on a bird table (fat balls + peanuts + seeds) that has been in place for over two years,with regular cleaning and food rotation. 1 mile out of Leeds City Center.

Jodansgang.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not wind, not rain.

Edit. Just to say whilst we've had some fox scat on top of a water buttress we haven't had any hedgehog scat on our birdtable PTN.

Jodansgang

Edited by Jodansgang

Posted

Stopped off for a 1/2 hr or so at SWT Balgavies, en route to shops.  Whooper Swans and Goldcrests have been reported there recently, but no luck in spotting them this morning.

It was, however, a beautiful serene morning with the hide to myself, serene that is, until this gaggle of Greylags arrived.

Greylags 01.jpg         greylags 03.jpg       

There is an ongoing issue regarding foliage at the hide obscuring the Loch.

Cormorants 02.jpg 

Although there is a long establish Cormorant colony at Balgavies, I still think they look very odd roosting in trees.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Two flocks of migrating cranes have just flown over my house. They make some great noises!

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

• Like 7

Posted

A nice chance surprise late this afternoon - a field with Whooper Swans, in among a large flock of Greylags and Canada Geese. - record shots only :shok:

WCG 03.jpg   WCG 02.jpg   WCG 01.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Autumn at our lake

IMG_2077.JPG

And the Coypus...they've got to go I'm afraid! http://www.planetepassion.eu/WILDLIFE-IN-FRANCE/Coypu-Myocastor-coypus-Ragondin-in-France.html

Cute though they are!

IMG_2065.JPG

One came out to see me, but the photo is a bit blurred as it was a very brief moment...

IMG_2063.JPG

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 3

Posted

This is from yesterday at Cowhouse Bank north of Helmsley.
Only a screengrab from gopro video but a lovely little spot will try for  proper photo here if I get back.

30558862942_0a273dd636_b.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

I know this is random - but I just clicked on an old post from 2009 and saw this nature observation from @Pomeroysnow

Local lore (Pomeroy Co.Tyrone) points to the swallows, if in October the swallow stays the winter will be mild, if in September the swallow goes the winter will be cold....

The swallows left in September this year, this last 5 years they have stayed into the second week of October!

We all know what happened in 2009! Any word on those swallows now?

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, 4wd said:

This is from yesterday at Cowhouse Bank north of Helmsley.
Only a screengrab from gopro video but a lovely little spot will try for  proper photo here if I get back.

30558862942_0a273dd636_b.jpg

Very nice indeed... Constable would have returned with his easel and paintbrushes...

Posted
1 hour ago, Team Squirrel said:

I know this is random - but I just clicked on an old post from 2009 and saw this nature observation from @Pomeroysnow

Local lore (Pomeroy Co.Tyrone) points to the swallows, if in October the swallow stays the winter will be mild, if in September the swallow goes the winter will be cold....

The swallows left in September this year, this last 5 years they have stayed into the second week of October!

On October 19th, 60 swallows, near the Angus coast, were reported to be flying south. Let's hope the lore is correct. :)

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

Interestingly enough @Team Squirrel the swallows hung about here the last few years into November,  however this year they left us in September.....  that said I think it's to do with suitable wind direction to aid their migration.  I choose to believe the local lore for now though!!!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Pomeroysnow said:

Interestingly enough @Team Squirrel the swallows hung about here the last few years into November,  however this year they left us in September.....  that said I think it's to do with suitable wind direction to aid their migration.  I choose to believe the local lore for now though!!!

Thanks for the reply!:) I am fascinated by weather lore, it'll be interesting to see if early migration of swallows tells us anything about this winter.

• Like 1