Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

These bream and barbel can be found down by the bridge in Downton in the mornings and evenings. They're there everyday, in the same place; often with a fair few trout for company.

IMGP0911_sm.jpgIMGP0916_sm.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thought you (like me) Nature lovers might quite like this, from the much-maligned BBC...Warning, contains real scientists, so Brexiteers look away now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mq3p1/lost-land-of-the-volcano-episode-1

• Like 2

Posted

Winter thrushes are starting to arrive - this morning there was a single fieldfare accompanied by at least 11 blackbirds, 5 song thrushes and 1 mistle thrush - all causing quite a commotion among the usual garden residents.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've just seen a lone swallow...even the birds are getting involved in the Great Global-Warming Swindle, it now seems.:shok:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes a very nice shot there Knocker mistake or not..

Posted

I'm not sure if it was basking or crossing, but it scarpered when I scared it away before someone squashed it.
Progress is difficult on the relatively smooth surface.
It would be about 14C at the time.

• Like 4

Posted

Anyone know what type of Hornet this is?

20160927_131203.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
On 24/09/2016 at 09:45, Ed Stone said:

I've just seen a lone swallow...even the birds are getting involved in the Great Global-Warming Swindle, it now seems.:shok:

Just seen two here trying to catch something - flying bugs are now rather scarce, though we touched 14C briefly this afternoon.

Most of them departed at least 2 weeks ago which seemed early to me considering the warm weather.
These two were definitely not residents but passing through.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
On 9/27/2016 at 20:16, Gael_Force said:

Looks like a European hornet but surely a bit north of its usual range visiting you PM?

The "Frélon Asiatique" that we have in France have apparently arrived in small numbers in the very south of the UK, but yours look like the common European one. You'd know if you had the former - they are big - you are way too far north for those (thankfully)!

Posted

Warm enough this afternoon for some end of season butterflies, nectaring on the few remaining buddleia flowers.

20161002-P1020550.jpg 20161002-P1020586-2.jpg   Two rather ragged ones. I think some bird has had a go at them.

20161002-P1020598.jpg 20161002-P1020601.jpg Plenty of bees too.

• Like 3

Posted

This little covey of juvenile Red-legged Partridges has been in the vicinity for the past few days.  I think they are wild bred rather than escapees from a release.  Hope they manage to dodge the guns over the winter.

french hens 2 (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 3