Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

Well, Hello..

roe deer 01.jpg

A nice encounter when walking the dog this evening.  Roe Deer are a bit of a menace here, though. I collided with one earlier this year, which was quite traumatic for the deer, me and the car!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A Cow from down the lane earlier..

20160829_155707.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Very quick by evolutionary standards

Tasmanian devil developing resistance to deadly face cancer which may allow them to 'save themselves' 

Tasmanian devils are developing an evolutionary response to a deadly transmissible cancer that has wiped out 80% of the species in the past 20 years, a new study has found.

Devil facial tumour disease, one of only three known transmissible cancers, has swept across nearly the entire species’ range of Tasmanian devils. However, populations predicted to be extinct by now continue to persist, albeit in low numbers.

A new genetic study, published in the journal Nature Communications, has now revealed that the mammals are rapidly evolving to defend themselves against it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/08/31/tasmanian-devil-developing-resistance-to-deadly-face-cancer/

• Like 3

Posted

A quick update. The Mouse that for the last few weeks has resided under the tumble dryer is in rude health. He's fed and watered twice daily on a high protein diet of peanut granules and cheese, washed down with Scottish spring water. Although it must be said he's not that partial to extra strong cheddar. He's getting quite cheeky with it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, knocker said:

A quick update. The Mouse that for the last few weeks has resided under the tumble dryer is in rude health. He's fed and watered twice daily on a high protein diet of peanut granules and cheese, washed down with Scottish spring water. Although it must be said he's not that partial to extra strong cheddar. He's getting quite cheeky with it.

That reminds me of when I was staying in Inverness, Malcolm...There I was, blethering away on NW, when I catch a movement in my peripheral vision - the Mouse Family Robinson was awaiting its evening curry. Well, given the choice of either killing them or feeding them, feeding them was the only option. Ah must be soft in the heid!:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
On 30/08/2016 at 20:53, ciel said:

Well, Hello..

roe deer 01.jpg

A nice encounter when walking the dog this evening.  Roe Deer are a bit of a menace here, though. I collided with one earlier this year, which was quite traumatic for the deer, me and the car!

Oh deer!:oops:

• Like 1

Posted

Bizarre ant colony discovered in an abandoned Polish nuclear weapons bunker

Scientists describe workers trapped for years in "a hostile environment in total darkness.

For the past several years, a group of researchers has been observing a seemingly impossible wood ant colony living in an abandoned nuclear weapons bunker in Templewo, Poland, near the German border. Completely isolated from the outside world, these members of the species Formica polyctena have created an ant society unlike anything we've seen before.

The Soviets built the bunker during the Cold War to store nuclear weapons, sinking it below ground and planting trees on top as camouflage. Eventually a massive colony of wood ants took up residence in the soil over the bunker. There was just one problem: the ants built their nest directly over a vertical ventilation pipe. When the metal covering on the pipe finally rusted away, it left a dangerous, open hole. Every year when the nest expands, thousands of worker ants fall down the pipe and cannot climb back out. The survivors have nevertheless carried on for years underground, building a nest from soil and maintaining it in typical wood ant fashion. Except, of course, that this situation is far from normal.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/bizarre-ant-colony-discovered-in-an-abandoned-polish-nuclear-weapons-bunker/

• Like 2

Posted
On 2 September 2016 at 15:32, knocker said:

Is it wearing a nappy otherwise it will be peeing and pooing everywhere?

Posted

Swallows seem to have gone which sees very early, especially considering the continued warm weather with plenty of food.

This must be quite unusual - not my picture or sighing but from someone in Northumberland.
It would appear to be an albino or at least almost white swallow.

Though it was with other swallows they didn't like it and kept driving it away.

attachment_1.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

HH3.jpg Massive crop, but sufficient detail for ID.  I think it is a female Hen Harrier, but confirmation would be appreciated.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 3

Posted
On 09/09/2016 at 12:24, ciel said:

HH3.jpg Massive crop, but sufficient detail for ID.  I think it is a female Hen Harrier, but confirmation would be appreciated.

I enlarged as much as I could and would guess the bird is a peregrine falcon. The reason for that is the facial markings and the closeness of the body banding. Difficult to say for sure with no wing fingers showing and the tail closed but for a Harrier, I would expect much broader dark bands on the wing.

PS, there's a male hen harrier near us - hubby alerted me by telling me about a strange 'gull' he saw at the lake. Now seen him for myself - haven't seen a female yet but there are so many raptors here it would just be another one in the sky if I didn't have binoculars with me.

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Crikey! Finally got some time to tell you about my wildlife. This evening, two female deer (does) staring at me from the farmer's field above.

An amazing thing - we have a very ancient caravan on our small piece of land which is in Creuse, about 21km from home. There is no working gas or electricity to it but it is great for cooking in using our portable stove, and as a storm refuge as it has a wooden canopy built over it and we keep camp beds just in case! We just set up our tent and camp for a few nights at a time to have total relaxation. In the gas fire an extended family of dormice have set up...two adults and 6 young. They have doubled in size since last week. I put a little cover over the front of the fire so we didn't disturb them. but when we pull it back they come over to the glass and put their paws up and look at us! They love muesli! As good climbers, they ascend the fire's flue and feed in great safety under the caravan and its shelter. OH has pics which I will post when he sends them. They squeak and chatter among themselves, and I have just laid on the floor and watched and listened.

We also have a family of wild cats. A female with two kittens. We have formally identified them as such, and they are officially protected. The area is home to very, very few. They are kept away from the dormice by feeding saved scraps at a distance.

The place just connects you to life and does wonders for the mental and physical health of both of us. We have a small lake on site that is full of fish of many species. I'm not squeamish about fishing and my Dad taught me all the stuff, so one of these nights we'll have "poisson frais"! Having said that, you need major supplies of citronella candles as the mosquitoes can be a pain but we are both getting fewer bites. The main issue has been "Spanish Broom" ("Geniste" in French) which everyone is battling with. Like Japanese Knotweed and Himalayan Balsam, what Victorian half wit decided to plant these curses?

Anyway, I'm full of homegrown tomatoes and carrots and ready for a morning of bottling pears and apples tomorrow...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 3

Posted
19 hours ago, Nouska said:

I enlarged as much as I could and would guess the bird is a peregrine falcon. The reason for that is the facial markings and the closeness of the body banding. Difficult to say for sure with no wing fingers showing and the tail closed but for a Harrier, I would expect much broader dark bands on the wing.

PS, there's a male hen harrier near us - hubby alerted me by telling me about a strange 'gull' he saw at the lake. Now seen him for myself - haven't seen a female yet but there are so many raptors here it would just be another one in the sky if I didn't have binoculars with me.

I would agree that it is probably a peregrine, Nouska. Having researched a bit more online, I think the facial "moustache" is the most significant ID feature. 

• Like 4

Posted

Re the scruffy blackbird, not sure whether or not the feather situation is better or worse.  As to gender, the yellow bill might indicate that it is an adult male. Perhaps the brownish plumage is a sign of a general feather malady. He still is behaving normally.

BB 01.jpg   BB 02.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

The torrential rain last night didn't do any favours for the local wildlife park, The Red River (so called because it was actually red for many years with mine waste) Is red, or to be more precise brown, again. The river is a conduit for the ponds and lake and last night's downpour has meant a huge amount of sediment has been transported into the former. It now just has a brown sheen and I fear this will take time to settle.

Sediment 3.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

Swimming with froglets - as difficult to catch as they are to photograph!

20160915_132128-1.jpg

Dived in anyway while the sun was out.

Here's two I netted later. The hybrid back in a pond and the garden frog back under the tomatoes, along with many siblings!

20160915_135754-1.jpg  20160915_135949-1.jpg

• Like 4