Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Pond frozen over and even my little waterfall frozen,,,,,,,,,,,Frog spawn turned milky white, seems going to lose it,due to it being frozen,

post-18298-0-80160500-1361618471_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Two big blobs of frog spawn in the pond, while there are still other frogs mating.

Luckily the pond hasn't frozen over, so I am hopeful the spawn will survive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Just been outside for a fag and was greeted with the sound of a pair of Barn Owls screeching at one another. There's something wonderful but spooky listening to them shriek in the dark; don't care how cold it is, I'm sleeping with the bedroom window open tonight in the hope of hearing them again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Yellow Brimstone just fluttered by in the sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Nature's Calendar - tracking of nature through the seasons.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Gvm4Db2qs3U

Nature's Calendar - tracking of nature through the seasons.

december 1981 was colder in my area than 2010

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A bit outdated, considering we are at the Spring Equinox but I have just updated my blog with a posting which you may like to read.

http://naturestimeline.com/2013/03/20/january-catch-up/

Posted

My Snowdrops starting flowering bang on cue, roughly Valentines day - they're still flowering now. I can't ever remember seeing Snowdrops flower for as long as they have this year, as they're my favourite flower, it's a real bonus. The Blackthorn which usually starts flowering in February around here is only just beginning to break into flower, as for the Hawthorn breaking into leaf, there's no sign of it at all - it's usually starting to green up quite well by now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Please feel free to move if there is a more appropriate thread but the latest wildlife news doesn't look too promising.

http://greenlivinglo...itish-wildlife/

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

First butterfly of the year for me today, a pristine Comma. Took a photo but haven't uploaded it yet.

• Like 1

The daffodils, tulips and crocuses are in full bloom in the garden now. Trees still only showing a few young buds though. I'm looking forward to the first bluebells, the woods look beautiful here when they come out.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Just had my first fledgling at the bird table ..a chaffinch .. this time last year sparrows robins wrens starlings and many others were busy with their second brood and young

birds were everywhere . Snowdrops going over, early(?)daffs just coming out and tulips look a month away Strangely I have a big clump of primroses that have bloomed

like mad since late October .. never have they done this before ..when I showed some to my mum in October she produced a local paper with reports of early primroses

both 25 and 50 years ago !

• Like 1

Saw a pair of Ravens today about 150m from the house, seen them a few times past few weeks in that area - looking for a nest in the trees I wonder, or already have one. They seem to becoming increasingly bold in recent years, I'd love to see Ravens in the garden. Anyone see Ravens about?

Not seem them so close to the house and town before.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

No Ravens seen here yet Bobby. All four of my Blue tit nest boxes are being investigated once again now that the weather has turned milderPosted Image . A late start this year after a prolonged cold spell. Things should start getting interesting now.Posted Image

No Ravens seen here yet Bobby. All four of my Blue tit nest boxes are being investigated once again now that the weather has turned milderPosted Image . A late start this year after a prolonged cold spell. Things should start getting interesting now.Posted Image

We have two nest boxes but empty so far, hopefully some birdies will take up residence soon as the weather gets warmer. Signs that the House Sparrows are getting nests ready in a neighbour's eves, plenty of them flying in and out. There were Magpies gathering twigs and sticks in the garden a few weeks ago when the weather turned milder for a bit but seem to have stopped when the cold returned.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

My husband saw a swallow 2 days ago and the starlings seem to have gone.  The little garden birds are busy, sparrows in and out of the roof and a male blue tit keeps attacking his reflection in our doors and windows.  Now just waiting for things to green up abit.

• Like 2

Posted

The Swallows are back, Summer's on the way!

• Like 2

Posted

Surprised to see swallows here today, I initially thought they were just passing through but this evening they are sat on the wires in teh usual place so could well be 'ours'.Things are changing incredibly quickly.We've only had two days which could be considered warm but grass has greened up remarkably - I think we caught up two weeks already, so it now feeels more like early April than mid-March.Daffodils have started to open and have grown so rapidly they seem unusually floppy and are being thrashed by the wind.

• Like 1

Posted

My hops have poked the first shoots above ground. Great - but could do without the grass growing - more utterly wasted weekends and unneccesary work mowing the damn stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Seen some peacock butterflies...And swallows.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

No Swallows here yet! although when they do arrive and they eventually start breeding I shall be monitoring their nest up in the barn . No frog spawn as of yet but there's good news regards the nesting activity of the birds in my garden .Two out of  of my four nest boxes have Blue tits nest wiggling and beginning to bring in nesting material and my regular Long tailed tit visitors  have built a nest in the conifers, so it's all looking good.Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

A very large bumblebee, some early midgie type things and a day you could almost call warm if you could get out of the wind. So this is summer?!