Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

We've had a lone grey wagtail visiting our garden this winter . flitting around my 'natural' pond and often being bullied by other birds but he's a resilient little 'un' and gives back what he gets.. Btw Bobby they aint a such bird as a green wagtail..!

Sorry I meant a yellow wagtail.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

We've had a lone grey wagtail visiting our garden this winter . flitting around my 'natural' pond and often being bullied by other birds but he's a resilient little 'un' and gives back what he gets.. Btw Bobby they aint a such bird as a green wagtail..!

Probably unripe Yellow Wagtail
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Big Garden Bird watch done And 13 types in total..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

All done here too.Posted Image Only 9 different types here today.I usually see more but it has been a tad windy today which I think hasen't helped and has kept most of them to a minimum.

Posted

Very strong winds here. My plastic greenhouse which I thought was secure against the wall has gone and collapsed and flown right across the field over the hedge.Posted Image

Lucky my bird boxes are still ok though. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

All done here too.Posted Image Only 9 different types here today.I usually see more but it has been a tad windy today which I think hasen't helped and has kept most of them to a minimum.

What types did you record? Ariel blown off roof today, Still windy and of course wet here,,,,,,Just thinking of those lovely still summer days, with deep blue sky and the song of the Skylark,

Posted

Birdwatch here rendered 1 Blackbird and 1 Sparrow. Not a good one this year despite there being plenty of food out around the local area.

• Like 1

Posted

I seen all the usual garden regulars here.I cant find my list at the moment but will let you know later.Oh, how I wish Spring would hurry up!

Posted

Had three Reed Buntings in my garden for the Bird Watch which was a surprise. Had to take a photo and look them up to confirm their identity as I had never seen one before. Also a Fieldfare which was around most of last week

Otherwise just the normal garden birds, less the blue tits which didn't bother to turn up!

• Like 2

Posted

This is worse type weather to spot birds or any wildlife, At Least in snowy days would see much more activity,,,,,,Mentioned amount of gulls around area before, But even more turning up,, Wonder if low pressure in channel driving them in land?

• Like 1

Posted

I agree Cerneman, awful weather! I tried to tidy the garden just now but the damn wind is back again grrrrrr. Anyway, regards the birds at the weekend I saw the Robin, Sparrow, LTT, Blues,Great tit,Gold finch,Green finch,Starling,Blackbird and Fieldfare. How well did you do?Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I agree Cerneman, awful weather! I tried to tidy the garden just now but the damn wind is back again grrrrrr. Anyway, regards the birds at the weekend I saw the Robin, Sparrow, LTT, Blues,Great tit,Gold finch,Green finch,Starling,Blackbird and Fieldfare. How well did you do?Posted Image

HI, Nice see you had varied list birds, Mine really not good, Think they all sheltering,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Blue tits, Dunnock, couple Blackbirds and Red Leg Partridge who was sitting on next door neighbours garden swing, Was disappointed but with weather who can blame poor devils for sheltering, Did notice couple frogs on stones around Pond,,,,Hope they not going to spawn early, Spring sounds enticing, just hope for some decent spring like weather,,,,,,,,,,Going to attempt this year get some photos of Fawns, now got telescopic lens for camera,,,,They give birth very close to back garden in hedge, So with luck may get couple photos without disturbing them,,,, Edited by cerneman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Couldn't find the frogs and Newts thread so I'm posting in here....The frogs woke me up with a glorious frog chorus in the early hours of this morning :) Love it!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Big Garden Bird Watch list that I placed is---

Dunnock 1. Blackbird 5. Chafinch 15. Magpie 4. Collard Dove 4. Wood Pigeon 2. Jackdaw 9. Robin 1. starlings 11. Wren 1. Others Rook and Pied wagtail....

• Like 2

Posted

A large garden in my regular work delivery area always has 100s of Snowdrops and Crocusses each year and they are all flowering now

which I am sure is at least 2 weeks earlier than usual !

Edited by Andy Bown
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Yep, was only thinking that this morning. Mine are up and flowering, Valentines day is the usual marker for mine so they're a couple of weeks early. The Aconites are in full bloom too but they're bang on schedule. Climbing Roses are looking a bit too keen to start growing, shoot tips beginning to unfurl. Oddly the Ivy which is usually full of ripe berries now, is sporting a tiny crop of unripe berries and flowers - the Blackbirds and Pigeons are seriously miffed, it's their preferred food at this time of year, they keep pecking at them then spitting them out.

• Like 1

Posted

At roosting time again this afternoon a different Blue tit tried to get in the same box but the regular blue tit fought him off. The second blue tit is still roosting up on the camera .Posted Image Such fascinating behavior. Blue tits are very territorial and this is so unusual. Wrens and Sparrows are well known to huddle together to roost but blue tits will fight other blue tits and will not tolerate one another.The great tit has no problems in her box with other birds trying to take over. She is still in every afternoon without fail.

I dug over the new vegetable patch today.I'm really missing gardening.Just want the garden to come alive again. It's been a nice sunny day albeit still very windy. Fed up with the rain it ruins all my bird food and drowns my plants.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Just to cheer us up,,,,,Not long now to Spring [Just hope no windy weather for bloosom time] Although think going to have mixed bag weather for Feb, with some cold around mid month, Then we on count down to Spring..........Any more Spring photos to cheer us up pleasePosted Image

post-18298-0-28268400-1359650460_thumb.j

post-18298-0-74312800-1359650484_thumb.j

post-18298-0-90530300-1359650505_thumb.j

Edited by cerneman
  • Like 1

Posted

Seabirds being washed up on channel coast beaches,from Cornwall through to Hampshire,,,,,,,,,,,,,If out on beach please report sightings to RSPCA or RSPB,,Birds covered in unknown white substance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Could be ongoing problem,,,,

Posted

Spent most morning Chesil beach,Sorry sight, but number birds rescued,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10 dead Birds today washed up Bournemouth,,,,,,,,,,Tonights tides will bring more in

Edited by cerneman

Posted

Watched a Barn Owl hunting it's prey earlier, just as the sun was starting to set. Haven't seen one out so early before.

Unfortunately, by the time I'd found the camera it was over the next field, so out of range for my happy snap bit of kit.

Anyway, here it is several hundred yards away.

post-7340-0-76704600-1359836559_thumb.jp

It's not a seagull... honest.

Edited by jtay
  • Like 3

Posted

Watched a Barn Owl hunting it's prey earlier, just as the sun was starting to set. Haven't seen one out so early before.

Unfortunately, by the time I'd found the camera it was over the next field, so out of range for my happy snap bit of kit.

Anyway, here it is several hundred yards away.

post-7340-0-76704600-1359836559_thumb.jp

It's not a seagull... honest.

You done well to manage get that shotPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I am sorry that I have not been contributing much to this forum of late but I have been updating my Facebook page dedicated to the same cause. Should you wish to visit, the link is shown below.

http://www.facebook.com/naturestimeline

Posted

My local pretty Chalk stream[river,] that can normally be accessed to knee high, Still high and running fast, Fields and lane still have plenty standing water,

Seen Egrets building nests, first time been actually nesting in this area,

post-18298-0-38924700-1359978168_thumb.j

post-18298-0-90613900-1359978245_thumb.j

post-18298-0-89828600-1359978316_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

A bone dry Lab with water around????? How on earth did you manage that?