Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Few of the Roe seen from bed room window taken last spring

post-18298-0-54363400-1358540670_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Hope people be out feeding Birds, Make sur they have access to unfrozen water, Keep eyes open for unusual visiters to garden

post-18298-0-75831300-1358594926_thumb.j

post-18298-0-57888900-1358595027_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hope people be out feeding Birds, Make sur they have access to unfrozen water, Keep eyes open for unusual visiters to garden

I am cerneman.Posted Image Only just been to the garden center for more bird food and I've also cooked some pastry and bought lots of cheap sponge from Tesco lol All feeders full again and the birds are going mad.Lots of gold finches are fighting There's a free suflower heart feeder with the latest gardeners world magazine if your local garden center does it,so I got a free sunflower heart feeder this morning. I now have two sunflower heart feeders as, they are so popular with the birds . Regards water I've sorted out the pond and bird baths and the birds have everything lol. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

[ attachment=155992:DSC00481-1.JPG]

post-18298-0-14310800-1358631047_thumb.j

Edited by cerneman

The snow and cold has really brought out the birds. Garden full of blackbirds, song thrushes, house sparrows, robins, dunnocks, starlings, magpies. Even a few gulls coming into the garden. Put out plenty of food so been a feeding frenzy all day out there.

• Like 1

Posted

The snow and cold has really brought out the birds. Garden full of blackbirds, song thrushes, house sparrows, robins, dunnocks, starlings, magpies. Even a few gulls coming into the garden. Put out plenty of food so been a feeding frenzy all day out there.

They'll be even happier if you put out some fresh water so that they can drink and have a bath. I envy the dunnocks; not seen any here in W London for years.

• Like 1

Posted

Flocks Fieldfare moving over area, Never seen so many here, Jackdaws ganging up on smaller birds for control of feeders, They learned how to tip feeders to make seed fall,,,,,Cleaver little devils

• Like 1

Posted

Sparrow hawk sitting on fence post, but poor little birds so desperate for food they ignoring him, Nice ready meal for birds of prey, Kingfisher really set up territory now hoping for return to area,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Posted

Long time off but spring could bring some decent wildflower meadows this year,,,,,,,Something to look foreward to

• Like 2

Posted

Vixen calling tonight, Sounds like someone being murdered,,,,,,,,,,,,Looking for her mate

• Like 1

Posted

There is now a foot deep of settled snow in the fields today with little animal footprints imprinted deeply across the snow drifts. Fox, rabbit , roe deer and tiny bird imprints everywhere.

I captured a nice pic of a Long tail and a Blue happily sharing food right outside my window today. One Field fare only seen today and no red wings spotted as yet.

Edited by Jane Louise
  • Like 2

Posted

Nice pictures, [ dog looks happy ] Black headed gulls moved into area, Are they reacting to some incoming low pressure? Seen forecast saying wind increasing towards end week, Can't think any other reason why would move in land over snow fields, Farmers not ploughing or sowing; Repeat pictures posted other day

post-18298-0-33177300-1358799560_thumb.j

post-18298-0-82092600-1358799576_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks cerneman good pics of yours too.Posted Image My dog adores the snow she even refused to come back home today so I had to keep throwing snowballs until she tired out lol. Being as she is a Springer it's nothing unusual lol. She could run for hours and hours. Sadly she's getting a lot older nowPosted Image but she still has that springer energy in her.

Talking of seagulls there were about hundred or so of white headed gulls flying overhead today.What a noise they make. The farmer usually fires a gun to scare them off but he didn't today. Flocks of starlings in the garden again today grrrrr lol I wouldn't mind them coming in to eat as long as they left some of the food for the small birds. I still have the two blueys roosting in the nestbox. It's quite funny to watch how one of them gets in early before the regular one and hides up on the camera to roost and the regular one dosen't even know this Lol. It's been the same routine for the past few nights now.

• Like 1

Posted

Been nasty cold rain today but turned to snow tonight, Still plenty lying snow but loads of surface water on fields, With rain forecast for weekend worried may have more flooding,,,,Wildlife having bad time,never having chance to dry out,,,,,,Anyone hoping for decent Spring??

post-18298-0-56251000-1358882392_thumb.j

post-18298-0-40959900-1358882505_thumb.j

Edited by cerneman
  • Like 1

Posted

Bittern Never seen one this area before now

post-18298-0-93018700-1358980297_thumb.j

Edited by cerneman
  • Like 2

Posted

Been nasty cold rain today but turned to snow tonight, Still plenty lying snow but loads of surface water on fields, With rain forecast for weekend worried may have more flooding,,,,Wildlife having bad time,never having chance to dry out,,,,,,Anyone hoping for decent Spring??

Oooh is that your house cerneman?

Ah yes, I can't wait for spring, Posted Image sunny days with the odd thunderstorm or two thrown in and watching nature come alive again, and not forgetting the birds a nesting Yes, I so love SpringPosted Image , roll on spring.Posted Image

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

Oooh is that your house cerneman?

Ah yes, I can't wait for spring, Posted Image sunny days with the odd thunderstorm or two thrown in and watching nature come alive again, and not forgetting the birds a nesting Yes, I so love SpringPosted Image , roll on spring.Posted Image

No unfortunatly not my house, but do live opposite one in picture, Lots of thatch cottages around here,,,,,,,The Bittern photo was taken in November, but still hanging around area, Chummed up with Herons and Egrets, Suppose be on river watch next few days looking from window this morning is rather high,due to snow melt, The cottage shown in my picture also by river and they have issues also with flooding, Fingers crossed not too much rain,,,,,Winter not yet over so lets see what next? Deer busy on fields this morning with hosts of Red leg Partridges, Could you give me some nesting reports in Spring Please, We are carrying out Blue Tit survey this year, Would be good to have feed back from your area,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks

Posted

No unfortunatly not my house, but do live opposite one in picture, Lots of thatch cottages around here,,,,,,,The Bittern photo was taken in November, but still hanging around area, Chummed up with Herons and Egrets, Suppose be on river watch next few days looking from window this morning is rather high,due to snow melt, The cottage shown in my picture also by river and they have issues also with flooding, Fingers crossed not too much rain,,,,,Winter not yet over so lets see what next? Deer busy on fields this morning with hosts of Red leg Partridges, Could you give me some nesting reports in Spring Please, We are carrying out Blue Tit survey this year, Would be good to have feed back from your area,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks

Yes will do. Let's hope the blueys use my nest boxes Lol. I've got to video the two blue tits that are sharing the one nest box to roost and send it to the RSPB . They have never known this to happen and find it fascinating behaviour. Bitter cold out there today with the strong Northerly wind. I'm certainly not looking forward to the heavy rain on its way, the fields are gradually thawing out now and are twice as boggy as they were before the snow arrived.

• Like 1

Posted

Reading reports that birds will share nest box in cold weather, Says 61 Wrens observed sharing same box, RSPB http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/nestboxes/smallbirds/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Haven't seen our fieldfares and redwings recently, perhaps they have moved on but we have lots of lapwings about. I'd like to post pictures that I have taken but apparently my files are too big with the limit being 4mb. I'm not technically intelligent enough to know what to do, any ideas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Posted Image

yeah I worked it out! A long tailed tit on the feeder last Friday.

Edited by Cirrostratus
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Hi here :)

Yesterday I saw something I haven't seen before, a flock of about two dozen chaffinches in the tree.

Also daft Mrs Collared Dove gathering nesting twigs !!

Otherwise I haven't seen many unusual winter birds.

The highlight was a few weeks back seeing a huge flock of Waxwings stripping all the local Rowan tree

berries. They soon moved on. Hope they survived all the UK snow.

B.

• Like 2

Seen a few flocks of long-tailed tits recently, we've also had a big increase in song thrushes. Also a few pied and green wagtails about, and a few Ravens have moved closer to the town probably looking for food, plenty of them in the mountain yonder.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

We've had a lone grey wagtail visiting our garden this winter . flitting around my 'natural' pond and often being bullied by other birds but he's a resilient little 'un' and gives back what he gets.. Btw Bobby they aint a such bird as a green wagtail..!

• Like 1