Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Saw two swans on a flooded field outside Yeovil this afternoon, guess they'd only come from the reservoir at Sutton Bingham (less than a mile as a swan flies), but they looked incongrous there, but quite happy!

There are few whooper Swans around in Dorset at moment, One spotted today at East Stoke,Can be very vocal when flying,

Posted

Having twice daily fly over by swans, out in morning back evening, Know where coming from but still not understanding where they going to spend there day feeding, Have no body of water that should make it worth there daily commute, They most have found some water that making it worth there daily journey where food is plentiful away from competition, This is I am sure due to flooding of what normal uninteresting areas of water, Never fails to surprise how wildlife will quickly adapt and take advantage of new sources of food

Is there any marshland around your area? So long as there are drainage ditches they can land in and take off from, they're happy enough to spend time there this time of year.

Posted

Is there any marshland around your area? So long as there are drainage ditches they can land in and take off from, they're happy enough to spend time there this time of year.

They flying low following line of the river away from there marshy flood plain, Spending day on small community built wildlife pond,that normally in winter is let to drain almost dry, Level pond this year higher than normal and they seem happy spend there day there in middle of housing estate, Returning at night to there normal habitat, There herd of about 12 on there normal habitat yet the three make there dail journey which about 3 miles each way, Flying very low,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Three pheasants today...must be hard job for them to find feed in the fields with all the rain we had...

Posted

Three pheasants today...must be hard job for them to find feed in the fields with all the rain we had...

There enjoying your hospitality.

Posted

Think time to stock up on Wild bird food, They gone self sufficent at moment, but they be back when need me,,,,,,,,,,,,Just like my teenage kids

Posted

Going to get pricey this year stocking up on bird feed with all the wet crops of the year...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Ooooh dear! we best start looking for bargains maybe online.I find Garden centers quite expensive so usually look to our local pet shop.The ploughed field next to me is still flooded due to the fact it's all clay soil. A lot of tractors going up and down the road today seen a farmer inspecting the field. Looks like it's going to be a poor year for farmers again especially if we have another wet year!

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Chains / skeins of geese migrating westwards over here for the last 3 days. Today very many passing over, right up to the edge of dark. Making for the coastal marshes probably or arable lands in West Lancs or Martin Mere Wildfowl sanctuary.

An old uncle of mine, who is an expert on wildfowl, reckons they will be enjoying the rotting potatoes in the flooded fields.

We used to see them passing over in December.. Folks up here reckon they are a sign of a change to cold weather.

Or is it a sign of cold weather making them leave their feeding grounds or maybe they've simply eaten up at their last port of call?

Posted

Pink footed geese love there potatoes, Wonder if yours are Graylag or Pink footed? Proberly moving into main wintering ground, Wonderful sight watching them on the move especially at Sunset,

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all,

At this precise moment the birds are going mad on the feeders. I guess they can sense the cold spell and snow on its way. The Starlings as usual are quite comical due to trying to hold onto a feeder and as always- falling offPosted Image The starlings are still a gathering at 4pm for their fascinating murmurations. The Blackcap has returned early this morning after hiding away for 2 weeks.The Blackbird, Song thrush and Robin are singing their hearts out as though it's spring. Hopefully once the cold spell arrives it will make them realise winter is still upon us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It's the same here too with a couple of exceptions.....We've a very grumpy Wren yelling it's head off at all the rest, seems to be trying to keep order. Plus the Peasant which abandoned ship from the local shoot a couple of years ago when the first gun went off, is now so fat I'm surprised it can still fly; I've never seen a Pheasant so huge, definite candidate for a gastric band.

Posted

Hi all,

At this precise moment the birds are going mad on the feeders. I guess they can sense the cold spell and snow on its way. The Starlings as usual are quite comical due to trying to hold onto a feeder and as always- falling offPosted Image The starlings are still a gathering at 4pm for their fascinating murmurations. The Blackcap has returned early this morning after hiding away for 2 weeks.The Blackbird, Song thrush and Robin are singing their hearts out as though it's spring. Hopefully once the cold spell arrives it will make them realise winter is still upon us.

Blackbird and songthrush must be following gfs, Robin proberly singing in expection going to get colder

Posted

Just 3 pheasant lurking again today..getting very regular but would like to see the Redwings or Bramblings here.

Posted

Pheasant is beautiful looking bird, Seen no Redwings this winter and even Robin gone AWOL. Seen my first Tree creeper, never seen one before

Posted

Couple of Waxwings spotted in garden,first of season here,

• Like 1

Posted

Couple of Waxwings spotted in garden,first of season here,

Awww, I'm still waiting to see my first waxwings. All the apples have now gone from the ground now. I had 8 Blackbirds peering in through the patio doors early this morning waiting for me to put some food out for them. I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment with one of my blues nest box! for the past two days at roosting time 4.30pm, another blue tit is trying to take over my present blue tits box and boy do they fight inside the box. It's a shame as there is another blue tit box vacant high up in the tree at the front of the house but there's no interest to roost in it although I have had a few look in daily but that's about it. I decided to add another nest box today out the back along the same wall as the other blue tits box but this one has no cam in so I'm not sure whether the other one will use it. Any advice would be most appreciated.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

BTO Bird Migration Blog

Taking flight

During late October and early November a huge number of Redwings, Fieldfares and Blackbirds arrived on the east coast of Britain. These quickly moved inland and spread out across the country. Take a walk in the countryside now and it is clear that many of these birds have moved on, moving even further south in search of a suitable wintering area, or more importantly a more reliable source of food, probably in western France and northern Iberia. The BTO Winter Thrushes survey is now focusing on birds seen during winter walks. Take part here.

Another example of this can be seen in the Waxwing numbers this winter. In November and early December there were around 5,000 birds here. Currently there are only around 1,500 in the country and there have been reports of birds seen leaving the Kent coast.

Snow and ice brings difficulties for many more birds as their food becomes hidden or locked under frozen water surfaces. In these conditions Kingfishers and herons are known to move to the coast where the saline waters largely remain ice-free. Lapwings, Skylarks and Wood Pigeons movements at this time can be spectacular and these too will also leave the country if they have to. During prolonged periods of snow and ice on the near continent, Britain’s estuaries come into their own, offering a lifeline for many species of waders and waterfowl. As temperatures bite we could see an influx of Smew, Goldeneye and Tundra Bean Geese.

http://btomigrationblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted

Blue tit boxes should br between 2 to 4m high [natural nesting height] 28mm hole no perch needed, Between North and East facing if poss, keep boxes away from Bird feeders, If putting new box up this time year try distressing it, birds like well worn looking box, Year before last put old wall mounted exterior letter box on side of shed and Blue tit readily took up residence, Birds are fickle and they want to choose there home, If it looks secure and safe from preditors hopefully they will show interest, Try half open flat topped nest box, set high might be surprised what takes up residence,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for the advice cerneman.Posted Image Yes I have all 3 boxes facing North at about 7 ft high.The boxes are well worn and all have a different size metal plate around the entrance holes. The Great tit has the great tit plate, the blue tit has the wrens and the box in the tree has the sparrows.I like the sound of the letter box you put up . It's amazing what some will nest in. I recently read an interesting article about 'strange nest sites' .One of the reports were of a pair of blue tits taking up residence inside a ashtray outside a train stationPosted Image and another one of blue tits setting up home on top of traffic lights on a busy road.Posted Image

Anyway I'll try the half opened topped nest box you mentioned, it'll be really interesting to see who pops in.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Redwings turned up, first time this winter here,

• Like 1

Posted

Still hoping for a Nuthatch to appear as well as a couple of other winter visitors. The Long tailed tits are still visiting a few times a day especially first thing in the mornings and then at dusk. I'm feeding them cake which is all they seem to want Lol. There's twice as many birds on the feeders now I expect this is due to the snow on it's way this weekend.( that's providing it happens of course).

• Like 1

Posted

Ice margins on river this morning [ first time this season] Grayling actively feeding, Good sign of colder water temps [ chalk stream] Blue flash of Kingfisher along overgrown strech of river, Another sign of coldier weather, Kingfishers very vunerable to cold conditions and can be active feeders when temp falls, Lost Kingfisher eggs due to floods, Nice to see back again

Posted

Don't know if this guy enjoying snow [ Red Leg Partridge] today

post-18298-0-22740600-1358537539.jpg

• Like 1